Noticed this on my clowfish. Should i be concerned

izzyinkorea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Ive been lurking here a while and finally made my membership. I finally found something that the numerous threads from the past dont seem like they can answer.

I found some strange dots on my clownfish and after reaserching all day Ive been unable to find any information on it. The clown eats very well and has no apparent issues. But has some strange marks on the top of its head infront of its dorsal fin. I did my best with my photos as my phones kinda ehh at taking them in my tank... ill try again to upload better ones

Hes in a 40 gallon tank with only a watchman goby,a larger clown, and a small orchid dottyback. Ive seen no aggression and my parameters are:

Kh 8.0
Ph 8
Nitrate 5
Phosphates 0.1

20240523_212531.jpg 20240523_212553.jpg 20240523_212551.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The pictures aren't quite clear enough to see what's going on (Yes, getting clear photos is very difficult!).

Is the fish showing ANY other symptoms?

Don't rule out aggression from either the larger clown, or maybe the dottyback. When you are in the room watching the fish, they may stop fighting to watch you! One trick is to set up a phone to video the tank and then leave the room. Review the video for any signs of aggression. You may find that this is pretty subtle - one fish may just make a "false run" at this clown, and maybe only making contact every few days (and the injuries add up).

Jay

OP
OP
izzyinkorea

izzyinkorea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The pictures aren't quite clear enough to see what's going on (Yes, getting clear photos is very difficult!).

Don't rule out aggression from either the larger clown, or maybe the dottyback. When you are in the room watching the fish, they may stop fighting to watch you! One trick is to set up a phone to video the tank and then leave the room. Review the video for any signs of aggression. You may find that this is pretty subtle - one fish may just make a "false run" at this clown, and maybe only making contact every few days (and the injuries add up).

Jay
Thanks Jay. Yeah so i work next to my tank. And i havent noticed much. Best way to describe it is little black dots running from the top perfectly spaced and going down to the pectoral fins in almost a upsidesown horseshoe. If its aggression is there any options to stop it beside moving fish? The dotty back is pretty chill sticks mostly to the back and right side of the tank and usually picks off food the clowns dont get

OP
OP
izzyinkorea

izzyinkorea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
1000005529.jpg
1000005530.jpg

I did my best here to show them

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may be spots of melanin - which can come after an injury has/is healed - Kind of a scar -or may just be a normal coloration of the fish. If there are no other symptoms, and you quarantined the fish properly, I would not worry unless something else develops. Is this something you noticed 'overnight' - or has it been on the fish since you got it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000005529.jpg
1000005530.jpg

I did my best here to show them

Clownfish have a series on pores on their heads that can stand out in certain circumstances. Usually though, these are along the side of the head, I don't recall seeing them on top of the head, but that isn't usually how I view my fish.....

OP
OP
izzyinkorea

izzyinkorea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely odd. The spots seem too symmetrical to be an injury or parasite/disease.
Yeah so perplexed about it... tried google lens search and about 2 hours of searching threads on forums...
This may be spots of melanin - which can come after an injury has/is healed - Kind of a scar -or may just be a normal coloration of the fish. If there are no other symptoms, and you quarantined the fish properly, I would not worry unless something else develops. Is this something you noticed 'overnight' - or has it been on the fish since you got it
I did not see them when i first got him 8 months ago. They were the first fish into the tank and stayed that way for about 4 months. Everything else was quarantined for a month.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back