Now Hiring: Active Swimmer with a Purpose

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I am looking to add another fish to my little reef. I want something that will swim a lot and pick stuff off my rocks. I really want a tang, but I don't think my tank is large enough. Have looked at various wrasse and midas blenny as potentials.

Tank is ~50g (24x18x24)
My current livestock is:
2 clownfish
1 neon dottyback
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
2 azure damselfish
3 rose bubble tip anemones (Had one large one that split -- twice. Going to sell/trade two of them, fyi)
Various soft corals

I have a 20gallon tank for a qt that will be its temporary home when I get it.

Any recommendations?

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a Halochoeres type wrasse or smaller blenny, or both. The tank footprint being only 24" is small, but you should be okay with a smaller wrasse. I have a beautiful red-lined wrasse in a 40 breeder (36" tank) that swims all over and it always picking. You need a few inches of sand (at least at the back) for them to sleep though. Midas blennies get larger, but you can go with a smaller blenny. I have a tailspot blenny who is very active.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sorry i don't have one on my phone. I can try to take one tonight. She looks exactly like the female on LiveAquaria though.

lg-76734-red-line-wrasse.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starry blenny and a possum wrasse together would meet your requirements.

That neon Dotty could be trouble, however.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sixline wrasse might be ok here. Everything in the tank is already semi aggressive already and should be able to able to hold its own.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id advise against a sixline wrasse as they are too unpredictable, heard at the weekend someone who had one which killed their clownfish and was harassing their scooter blenny to death.

But a pink streaked wrasse would be a better alternative or the possum wrasses maybe even a fang blenny if you wanted, however id be concerned about the dottyback being agressive to them

U

User1

View Badges
Possum wrasse is someone anti-social. They will not be seen much but when you do see them it is such a joy. Great fish but secluded.

Six line is a great fish about as active as they come and always hovering over the rocks looking for the next bite. They do have baggage with a known reputation of aggression but as noted you already have a interesting mix that it would be fine in. However, the reason why I would not add one in your setup is due to the size and the addition of the dottyback.

Your main requirement from what I can gather is active swimmer and serves a purpose. This probably means a forager, hunter, busy little fish that while plays along nicely with others keeps to itself. That said you probably do want a wrasse. That would fit the check box nicely. You need a cover on the tank though before adding one. Second choice would be a Coral Beauty. Little larger obviously than a wrasse that have been suggested but it will use every inch of the tank foraging on the rocks. It will also take to prepared foods. Hit or miss with corals but it didn't sound like you had LPS - mostly soft.

So my vote would be something like a yellow coris wrasse or coral beauty. Another option would be to introduce 3 other damsels such as Talbots.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding anything to a tank, especially one this size, with an established neon dottyback will be extremely difficult. You may have to rehome this fish before getting anything else.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my yellow coris wrasse!

She swims all over the tank, picks at the rocks, can hold her own against my larger clowns, and dottyback, has a great personality, and with the bright yellow color you can't miss her. I will say though, you need a tight fitting lid. Mine will often swim real fast and hit the screen cover. So a top is a must!

OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate the replies and feedback guys. This helps me immensely along with my own research.

To give more perspective on things...

I have a lid, one of the clear mesh DIY ones you get from BRS.

My neon dottyback is still pretty young. Maybe 1.5 - 2". Also with my clowns and other tank inhabitants he isn't aggressive. He's usually just swimming in the rocks looking for worms doing his own thing. When I feed, he backs away from the female clown (everyone does; she's the big boss of the tank), but is not scared to swipe food from everyone else.

My sandbed is 2-3" deep. I could add more sand for the wrasse if necessary. I use CaribSea fiji pink which is 0.5 - 1.5mm grain sizes.

What are thoughts on the blue star leopard wrasse?

U

User1

View Badges
What are thoughts on the blue star leopard wrasse?

Probably only a fish I would buy in person since some in that family can be difficult to get acclimated. However, once they do I hear good things about them. My only concern is the potential size. I used to run a 40 breeder which has a pretty nice footprint and in the end coral growth and rocks can take up a lot of space not leaving much for the fish. I would probably go with a smaller wrasse such as the yellow. Leopards are pushing 6" and the Yellow is 5". Doesn't sound like a lot but just something I pay attention to. That is if you are going for a wrasse.

OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, scratching out the leopard wrasse. I am going to get some more information on the six line wrasse and yellow coris wrasse...

My LFS guy recommended the six line wrasse to me about a year ago as well. I know in a display tank he had (which was similar gallon size, but larger footprint than my tank), he was keeping a six line wrasse along with a neon dottyback. That tank is what made me want the neon dottyback so much. Such a beautiful and fun fish. Rehoming the dotty isn't an option to me as well. I'd rather just go without any new fish if that's what it means!

Thanks for the advice, guys. R2R community is the best!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a sixline and wanted to add an orchid dottyback (much more peaceful than a neon) and the research i did mostly yielded: mixing dottybacks and sixlines is not a good idea. they inhabit the same areas of the tank and are both really aggressive.

honestly idk if i'd add anything to that stocklist. clowns can be pretty rough on newcomers once established, damsels might give a warm welcome to someone new, and the neon dottyback will definitely not be kind to new neighbors. some kind of upper water swimmer might work out ok, maybe a midas blenny or fang blenny?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 foot long tank really limits options for wrasse stocking. I wouldn't put any Halichoeres in there. It's really pushing it but a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse might be the way to go. Unlike the 6 line it isn't known for being a pescacidal maniac, but it is likely to hold it's own if the other fish get aggressive:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%

Back