Now Hiring: Active Swimmer with a Purpose

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely think a wrasse is the way to go, one of my favorite fish.

I think you could definitely go for a leopard wrasse, macropharyngodon bipartitus or m meleagris would do fine if you get a healthy specimen that's eating well at your LFS - both stay rather small and actually utilize vertical space pretty well. I'm going to disagree with some of the other commenters and say a halichoeres wrasse would be OK in this tank provided you get one of the smaller species (h chrysus comes to mind). If you really want to stick to nano fish for some reason or other, you could go for a pseudocheilinops ataenia AKA pink streak wrasse, a REALLY cool wrasse that will become quite bold given appropriate tank mates (had one in a 10g with an assessor basslet and clown, and the wrasse was out all the time...until it jumped).

All wrasses jump so ensure you have a lid with quite small holes - they are very slender and most can escape through eggcrate.

A starcki damsel is also a worker and will pick at rocks for pests, particularly flatworms. There is a decent chance it would fight with your existing damsels, however.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the Redline will look like after transitioning to male.

Redline raw.jpg

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male h biocellatus is bigger than I recommend for a 24" tank. If you were to find a small juvenile, though, they take years to grow large and transition in most cases. Ime that isn't a super common fish to find, though they are often small when they are found. I've also seen tiny h iridis (got mine at 1.5*), though that species is known to be very difficult to keep.

H chrysus is the most sure bet, commonly available sub 2" and quite beautiful.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male h biocellatus is bigger than I recommend for a 24" tank. If you were to find a small juvenile, though, they take years to grow large and transition in most cases. Ime that isn't a super common fish to find, though they are often small when they are found. I've also seen tiny h iridis (got mine at 1.5*), though that species is known to be very difficult to keep.

H chrysus is the most sure bet, commonly available sub 2" and quite beautiful.

Yes but the Yellow Wrasse will outgrow the tank.

Back