NP-bacto pellets with NP-Bacto-balance?

rivachaz14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have a few options for carbon dosing when starting a new system 330 ltr tank.

Could Tropic Marin bio pellets be used with its NP-Bactobalance together ? If so what are the benefits ? Perhaps stability with the NP-Bacto-pellets longer term but use of the liquid NP-Bactobalance to reduce the nutrients at an earlier stage?

Ultimately, I’d just like one method , but is there a benefit of using both?
I watched a Lou Elkus YouTube vid, and he mentioned they can be used together ? Any reason that you could use two types of carbon dosing ?

so I’m summary would it beneficial to run both or just one?
I know that NP-Bacto balance is a newer product line, than the bactopellets, but long term is it wise to run both or just one type , which is easier ?

Hope someone could advise that have run both type of carbon dosing.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with either but have considered the path you are selecting. In the end, decided to just carbon dose since I can control that dosage and cease completely, if needed. Beads require a reactor and dedicated feed adding complexity, requiring space and maintenance as those beads need replacing and flow adjusted to maintain the correct movement without being too little or too much.

Wouldn't combine the two, but if so desired then just adjust the dosage of the liquid version which at that point based on what I said above means you technically don't need the beads. If cost is a concern then skip the marketed and packaged and create your own. Randy has a DIY recipe or just YouTube that for NoPox. Both based on the same concept and for a larger system the economical way for me to go. Could also just go straight vodka or vinegar with vodka being more concentrated and thereby best suited for larger systems needing larger dosages.

Truth be told, most sold by big name can be sourced through other channels once the composition is understood.

OP
OP
R

rivachaz14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with either but have considered the path you are selecting. In the end, decided to just carbon dose since I can control that dosage and cease completely, if needed. Beads require a reactor and dedicated feed adding complexity, requiring space and maintenance as those beads need replacing and flow adjusted to maintain the correct movement without being too little or too much.

Wouldn't combine the two, but if so desired then just adjust the dosage of the liquid version which at that point based on what I said above means you technically don't need the beads. If cost is a concern then skip the marketed and packaged and create your own. Randy has a DIY recipe or just YouTube that for NoPox. Both based on the same concept and for a larger system the economical way for me to go. Could also just go straight vodka or vinegar with vodka being more concentrated and thereby best suited for larger systems needing larger dosages.

Truth be told, most sold by big name can be sourced through other channels once the composition is understood.
I wonder if the np- bacteria balance creates a bacterial slime I’ve the rock worm etc if doses directly to the tank, rather than tbe bio pellets which are supposed to contain the bacteria in the rector, and if any escape is exported via skimmer . Which method is the safest ?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the np- bacteria balance creates a bacterial slime I’ve the rock worm etc if doses directly to the tank, rather than tbe bio pellets which are supposed to contain the bacteria in the rector, and if any escape is exported via skimmer . Which method is the safest ?
Not familiar with that. Just know from dosing NoPox I can bottom my nitrates and bring phosphates low enough. Stopped looking into pellets once I had learned about a liquid solution and I've been considering pellets at least a decade.

Unlike most reactors that can be controlled, I know of no way to control beads as to how much removal is needed. Dosing I can.

As for having the required bacteria, not sure those beads do and if they do then not sure it provides a benefit. I pour MB7 and rely on the fact added livestock will bring their own.

KISS my approach.

Reaching out directly to Lou would be my approach then report those findings so we all learn. Can't have too much knowledge.

OP
OP
R

rivachaz14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes will do, is there an email for him directly ? , I’ll post back with what’s advised, thank you

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes will do, is there an email for him directly ? , I’ll post back with what’s advised, thank you
He’s a member here but I think there’s an email to contact him if you google Tropic Marin USA

OP
OP
R

rivachaz14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s a member here but I think there’s an email to contact him if you google Tropic Marin USA
Thank you , by the looks of what’s on the web and what you’ve mentioned , the better “less clutter in the sump” method is nopox style dosing rather than bio pellets. I’m going to use a fleece roller, skimmer and the liquid carbon dosing method, and pass on the reactor/pellets method.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back