Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks Great!!!

I tried to feed my Dendro colony pellets and they just made it sad :(
Still waiting for it's polyps to fully come back out ;Nailbiting

Thanks! That sounds like what I experienced..seeing as they are sticky as hell it only takes 2 seconds for one to move a pellet to its mouth..

..but on the third second its like it says,
"Oh heck no! I aint eating that!"
And blurp it expells the pellet back out :p

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That sounds like what I experienced..seeing as they are sticky as hell it only takes 2 seconds for one to move a pellet to its mouth..

..but on the third second its like it says,
"Oh heck no! I aint eating that!"
And blurp it expells the pellet back out :p
I just hope mine opens it's polyps back up. It was doing great until I fed it the pellet food.

WavesAreMyMantra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love nps and watching tanks like Marks..so far all I have is Tubastrea but I am superfocused on expanding into automating for filterfeeders when i upgrade, I am too chicken to try yet :D
I have tried pellets but only one type and it didnt take it. Liquid brine from Nyos worked alright but it really started loving life when I ran out and switched to liquid goldpods instead, also from Nyos. It is insanly capable of eating huge amounts without expelling and oh so satisfying to feed them :)

I also broadcast some sps powder from Brightwell and while tubastrea does react to it, I sure wouldnt want to let them feed on that only.
In my experience they are quite hardy and a week without food is no issue. I usually spotfeed 4-5 days/week though.

20180102_185433.jpg
And the NPS LOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEE FLOW!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my Dendros and Black Sun Corals primarily Fauna Marin pellets a couple times a week. I feed maybe once a week a rotation between frozen PE Mysis, Omega enriched brine shrimp, and the PE Cyclops. For baby Dendro heads, I will feed 0.5mm Spectrum Thera A+ pellets until they get big enough to eat the Fauna Marin pellets.

My current setup is a 20g with 10g fuge and I have a colony and frags of at least 20 Dendro heads total and a colony of 12+ heads of Black Sun Corals.

IME Dendros are extremely hardy and can tolerate wide fluctuations in water quality and temperature. Several years ago I had a chiller that malfunctioned and never shut off ended up bringing my tank down to 40-45'F. Dendros survived. I lost a couple heads but they left behind baby heads and had a little skin recession but have come back nicely.
Thunderdood, do you have any pictures? Many thanks

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are older pics taken a couple months ago. Most of the frags have multiple baby heads growing that are big enough to eat pellets.

dendro1.jpg

dendro3.jpg

Dang, wish you were in the Chicago area, I'd like to buy another Dendro frag for a test

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dendro and sun coral get a variety of Reef Chili, Oyster Feast and frozen coral mix 3x/week. So far, so good. I've had the dendro about 9 months and the sun coral about 3 months. The dendro had some issues for a while but both have made many babies since :)

jason24365

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and girls of reef2reef, todays question involves the always daunting, but absolutely stunning.... Non-Photosynthetic Coral! Weather it's an LPS such as Tubastrea "Sun coral" and Dendrophyllia, Softies such as Dendronepthya, or Gorgonians, they all have to eat, and all have their own somewhat unique diets. That being said my question to all of you is this, what do *YOU* feed your NPS corals, and specifically what foods do you use for different varieties of these corals; to break it down, what do you feed filter feeders, as well as those which are more capable of eating larger particles etc?

Then finally how often do you feed them for best results?

I've had Sun corals and wasn't able to successfully keep them alive very long, probably 4-6 months. I've found they're not all that difficult in concern of water parameters but instead become difficult due to their everlasting hunger for food and therefore needing to be fed quite frequently. When I had them I fed them Fauna Marin LPS pellets, and today while I do not have any Tubastrea in any of my tanks, I still use the FM LPS Pellets to feed my Dendrophyllia.

Dendros seem to be a far easier NPS coral to keep alive and even thrive. They don't seem to be particularly picky about water parameters, nor do they perish quickly if you can not frequently feed them. I try and feed them at least once a week if I can, but ideally I've heard you should try and feed them 2-3 times a week. They can be fed mysis, brine shrimp, pellets, and much more but Pellets have been my preference due to its high level of protein as well as easiness to feed.

Now that I've shared my experience, lets hear yours!
So i have 2 fat head dendros that i love and thrive and i feed them anything really. I Spot feed 3 to 5 times a week and hand feed them whatever frozen food i feed my fish. i also breed pods and phyto

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Roids, Brightwell PhytoChrom, Reef Snow, & Reef Blizzard-O for Menella sp. and gorgs.

TDO Pellets, Fauna Marin LPS Pellets, and whatever floating frozen food comes across it for Epizoanthus & Strawberry nems.

B96BF18A-7382-4A49-9C5C-E048DA1D79C2.jpeg
B6729EEB-6DB7-4070-B535-D2FDE8E8EDDF.jpeg

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Roids, Brightwell PhytoChrom, Reef Snow, & Reef Blizzard-O for Menella sp. and gorgs.

TDO Pellets, Fauna Marin LPS Pellets, and whatever floating frozen food comes across it for Epizoanthus & Strawberry nems.

B96BF18A-7382-4A49-9C5C-E048DA1D79C2.jpeg
B6729EEB-6DB7-4070-B535-D2FDE8E8EDDF.jpeg
you think those gorgs woud eat phyto, im considering getting some sponges too if i can snag some from the water. i have a tunicate that i feed 200 ml a day of phyto water is always crystal clear

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you think those gorgs woud eat phyto, im considering getting some sponges too if i can snag some from the water. i have a tunicate that i feed 200 ml a day of phyto water is always crystal clear
i think they will eat depending on micron size. Phytochrom got all kinds of micron size so it’s broad cast fed for everything. Worst case scenario, my small group of mercenaria mercenaria uptakes it before it breaks down or macro algae will uptake the broken down nutrients. I also don’t think sponges will use phyto but i could be wrong. Dosing silicates should be enough for a nice amount of sponges

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think they will eat depending on micron size. Phytochrom got all kinds of micron size so it’s broad cast fed for everything. Worst case scenario, my small group of mercenaria mercenaria uptakes it before it breaks down or macro algae will uptake the broken down nutrients. I also don’t think sponges will use phyto but i could be wrong. Dosing silicates should be enough for a nice amount of sponges
you can keep temperate clams in a reef tank? how do i go about dosing silicates. i might try to collect some clams when im in FL or i might have my mom's friend, the meat manager at the grocerey store, get some.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back