OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to what your bioload is...I’m considering doing the same but I’m worried about hiding areas for my pods that my mandarin eats...
Year and a half later update. I have pair of mandarin and they are doing great. They love the scape and I think it creates much more surface for pods then stocking rocks on top of each other.

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I'm doing mine right now and needed some inspiration... it's hard to not make the nsa scape look like a bonsai tree

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think this was a great idea..more open ,etc..now I think otherwise...The old "wall of rock" look is more appealing to me for many reasons..With tons of rock you can also get the added benefit of denitrification within the rock as well as mini cryptic zones forming in spots .. I know this NSA thing is all the rage now,,so many of you will poo poo this post .. give it a couple yrs and you all with the fruitstand NSA. look will come around... unfortunately real live rock or even dry is becoming harder to get ..

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think this was a great idea..more open ,etc..now I think otherwise...The old "wall of rock" look is more appealing to me for many reasons..With tons of rock you can also get the added benefit of denitrification within the rock as well as mini cryptic zones forming in spots .. I know this NSA thing is all the rage now,,so many of you will poo poo this post .. give it a couple yrs and you all with the fruitstand NSA. look will come around... unfortunately real live rock or even dry is becoming harder to get ..

What is the reason people will get frustrated after few years?

All I see are benefits.
- easier coral placement,
-better water flow (filtration)
- no detritus build up! that's a huge one
- tons of pods Look how fat my mandarins are. I believe NSA is a reason for it.
-and most important fish love it! they swim through the scape all day long and at night they have plenty of places to hide.

I do not see me coming back to "wall of rock" anytime soon (over 12 years in the hobby and 4 tank upgrades)

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DOJOLOACH as someone who does bonsai I’d love to see your scape !
Where I'm at right now. Wanted to do an island on the front right, sps on top, Monti plating off on left side. At this point I'm debating touching down somewhere on the right side to give 2 anchor points. What do you think? Or should I keep going with the long skinny piece?

ReefTanker91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reason people will get frustrated after few years?

All I see are benefits.
- easier coral placement,
-better water flow (filtration)
- no detritus build up! that's a huge one
- tons of pods Look how fat my mandarins are. I believe NSA is a reason for it.
-and most important fish love it! they swim through the scape all day long and at night they have plenty of places to hide.

I do not see me coming back to "wall of rock" anytime soon (over 12 years in the hobby and 4 tank upgrades)
Hey Drukkosz, just wanted to thank you for making this post. Will be working on my first saltwater tank this year and your post gave me motivation to break down some live rock and scape it according to nsa. Your tank and fish look incredible.

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Drukkosz, just wanted to thank you for making this post. Will be working on my first saltwater tank this year and your post gave me motivation to break down some live rock and scape it according to nsa. Your tank and fish look incredible.
Thank you very much! Appreciate it. Good luck, it was defiantly slow but fun progress. I still love mine and most important my fish do to. Let me know if you have any questions and defiantly post some pictures.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love this thread. A great inspiration for a structure for my son's damsel. He's quite large now and I think some of these structures are better than my cave. Going on the hunt for a rock that already has a natural arch!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back