Nudibranch care on arrival

  • Thread starter Thread starter Michael v
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Michael v

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2018
Messages
168
Reaction score
129
Location
Salt Lake City Utah
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bad case of Aiptasia in my 65 gallon reef aquarium. Decided to battle the problem by ordering 25 Nudibranch. I watched a video which suggested setting up a separate tank with a sponge filter. Putting a few Aiptasia before introducing them to my display tank. Does any one think this to be a good idea or should I just put them directly in my tank?
 
I put them into a breeding container you can simply hang iinto your tank and gave them some small aiptasia first. This worked great as long as you are using a container that is based on a fine mesh/net. Plastic/acrylic ones will have too large holes and the berghia nudis will escape and potentially be catched by the current.

Alternatively you can introduce them to the sand bed or on rocks near but not directly onto aiptasia while all flow is turned off. Letting them climb out of a glass container that can be placed at the bottom of the tank works quite well.

Important note: Shrimp, some fish, and hermit crabs will take their chance to eat berghias. I would remove shrimps and hermits before introducing them and make sure the berghia nidis can hide fast after being introduced.
 
Upvote 0
I just add them straight to the tank, I do it at night when lights are off and turn off flow for about 15 minutes.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new