Nudibranch, naughty or nice?

minireef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope all had a good Thanksgiving?! Just put a mushroom rock in the tank and this fellow comes slithering out. It’s white and just laid eggs. Good bad or down right ugly?

IMG_3429.jpeg IMG_3421.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a clear, straight-on, top-down shot of its back showing the full nudibranch? A clear, straight-on, side shot of the full nudibranch would help too (especially if you can get some clear pics of the structures on its back).

OP
OP
M

minireef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a clear, straight-on, top-down shot of its back showing the full nudibranch? A clear, straight-on, side shot of the full nudibranch would help too (especially if you can get some clear pics of the structures on its back).

Attachments

• IMG_1881.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 32

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. They are soft-bodied marine gastropod mollusks that shed their shells after their larval stage. I keep them in my sump. Hermit crabs and most fish will eat them.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? Please?
Sorry, I honestly forgot about this thread - all I can tell from the pics is that it's likely either a Tritonioid or a Dendronotoid nudibranch; that means that it most likely either feeds on soft corals/gorgonians, or on hydroids - regardless, it also most likely only feeds on like one to four species, so it'll eventually starve.

What soft corals/gorgonians do you have in your tank? You'll want to inspect them for more nudibranchs and for nudibranch eggs, and you'll want to remove any you find.

Edit: Remembering that it came in on a mushroom coral and laid eggs - I seriously doubt it eats the mushroom coral, so it may not have any of its preferred food items in your tank, but I'd still make sure to remove the nudibranch and eggs.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back