Strange things at night

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when the lights go out, as we all know, a whole different crew comes out. I just saw 2 new critters I can not get pics of but this will be a new mission going forward, for sure. One looks kind of nudibranch-ish, completely black, and maybe an inch long. It was in a hole in a rock, so no good photo opportunity. The other, I think is a nudibranch, also in a hole, so no picture, but moved with a fair speed. Faster than a snail, but not fast enough to think it has legs, kind of tan in color. Love seeing new critters, just hope they are not bad.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black nudibranch looking thing could maybe be a black sea hare? (the ones sold in the hobby)

Edit: here's a good picture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black nudibranch looking thing could maybe be a black sea hare? (the ones sold in the hobby)

Edit: here a good picture.

Thanks, but didn’t look like that . It is totally smooth, the center solid, but not very thick, with a smooth skirt all the way around it. The “skirt” was totally flat. Maybe some sore of worm? I did get a picture

Attachments

• IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 100

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but didn’t look like that . It is totally smooth, the center solid, but not very thick, with a smooth skirt all the way around it. The “skirt” was totally flat. Maybe some sore of worm? I did get a picture
This looks very similar to what's below. I don't know much about it.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks very similar to what's below. I don't know much about it.

So, apparently I have a planaria negro in my tank. This is one of my strange night critters. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of it? Removing the rock it is in is not really a viable option. Thanks to Walker Loves the Ocean, I was able to narrow it down this with certainty.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, apparently I have a planaria negro in my tank. This is one of my strange night critters. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of it? Removing the rock it is in is not really a viable option. Thanks to Walker Loves the Ocean, I was able to narrow it down this with certainty.
I am not to sure.

Obviously, the best option would be to take the rock out and treat it with flatworm exit, but you said it will not be able to happen.

I would say the next best option would be manual removal. The best option for this would probably be to siphon it out, but in the picture it looks quite large. I am not sure if these guys release a toxin like the rest of flat worms do, so I would take that into consideration.

Maybe there's some fish or invert that eats them? I am not to sure, for some reason this worm seems to have very little research done on it.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not to sure.

Obviously, the best option would be to take the rock out and treat it with flatworm exit, but you said it will not be able to happen.

I would say the next best option would be manual removal. The best option for this would probably be to siphon it out, but in the picture it looks quite large. I am not sure if these guys release a toxin like the rest of flat worms do, so I would take that into consideration.

Maybe there's some fish or invert that eats them? I am not to sure, for some reason this worm seems to have very little research done on it.
I will have to keep my eyes open for it. And if I get an opportunity to get it, I will. If it does release a toxin, do you know what would trigger that? Maybe siphon is the better bet

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to keep my eyes open for it. And if I get an opportunity to get it, I will. If it does release a toxin, do you know what would trigger that? Maybe siphon is the better bet
Typically flatworms release toxins once they are dead.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So when the lights go out, as we all know, a whole different crew comes out. I just saw 2 new critters I can not get pics of but this will be a new mission going forward, for sure. One looks kind of nudibranch-ish, completely black, and maybe an inch long. It was in a hole in a rock, so no good photo opportunity. The other, I think is a nudibranch, also in a hole, so no picture, but moved with a fair speed. Faster than a snail, but not fast enough to think it has legs, kind of tan in color. Love seeing new critters, just hope they are not bad.
Looks to be elephant slug or black stomatella and please do not add flatworm treatment unless identified and verified

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be elephant slug or black stomatella and please do not add flatworm treatment unless identified and verified
No worries there I have read very bad things about flat worm treatment. Thank you for the input. I will be trying to get a better picture if I see it again

Miguel.PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow reefers. Speaking on strange critters at night I’ve found a string with little tentacles on my zoas but also very little black dots running fast on them as well. Any idea?? Please find pics attached and thanks for your help in advance.

IMG_8848.jpeg IMG_8850.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello Fellow reefers. Speaking on strange critters at night I’ve found a string with little tentacles on my zoas but also very little black dots running fast on them as well. Any idea?? Please find pics attached and thanks for your help in advance.

IMG_8848.jpeg
These may be Ostracods also referred to as grass shrimp but will need closer pics or microscope images to confirm.
The snails in the pic, Do they look like these below?

1712106912650.png
1712106953740.png

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sophie"s mom, is it possible you can poke the thing?

If its an elephant slug, you will most likely notice a slit down the middle, and you will feel a shell.

If it's the flatworm I am thinking it is, it will be soft throughout the entire body.

Miguel.PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These may be Ostracods also referred to as grass shrimp but will need closer pics or microscope images to confirm.
The snails in the pic, Do they look like these below?

1712106912650.png
1712106953740.png
Thank you vette but I was asking regarding the tentacle crossing the zoas on the first picture and the very tiny black dots that move very fast. I’m not able to post a video :/

IMG_8840.jpeg

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you vette but I was asking regarding the tentacle crossing the zoas on the first picture and the very tiny black dots that move very fast. I’m not able to post a video :/

IMG_8840.jpeg
Could be digitata hydroids. Hard to tell from the picture.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

IMG_8840.jpeg
That string either hydroids or tube from a vermetid snail or spinoid worm

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sophie"s mom, is it possible you can poke the thing?

If its an elephant slug, you will most likely notice a slit down the middle, and you will feel a shell.

If it's the flatworm I am thinking it is, it will be soft throughout the entire body.
I can not get it, but it absolutely looks smooth throughout. There is no shell at all. That I am sure. I am concerned if a flat worm. I just hope I see it again, and have the ability to hopefully siphon it out.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: here's a good picture.

So after some research today I am relatively confident that the tan looking critter from last night is indeed a stomatella :). As for the black one, after researching that, I am starting to think Vetteguy may be correct. It could easily be either an elephant slug or a black stomatella, so I will leave it alone for now. But I do love thinking the other is almost certainly a stomatella.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back