Strange things at night

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found a string with little tentacles on my zoas but also very little black dots running fast on them as well.
Not sure on the black dots (probably a pod of some variety, but microscope pics would be needed to say for sure). For the string though:

Those are Digitate Hydroids (definitely a Zancleid hydroid [taxonomic family Zancleidae], possibly a Zanclea sp.) - there's evidence to suggest that they're actually beneficial to the corals they grow on;* I don't know if they'd sting fish that get too close or not, but it is a risk - similarly, they may spread and cause issues by growing too numerous in the tank and possibly posing a risk to other tank inhabitants.

I know @Reefkeepers Archive had a colony of these - I don't know if they've caused any problems for them or not, but if they still have the colony, they'd have ~5 months of experience with them to relate.

*Source:

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the same feeding tentacle I see occasionally. I always thought it was some kind of tube worm - lets out a long string with a 'spikey ball' at the end. Utterly harmless, at least in that I've had them growing in zoas for ten years and the zoas are still there.

Op, V was asking about the snails because they look like sundial snails, which eat zoanthids. Collonistas can also have that pattern but given that the snails are on zoanthids...

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the black dots (probably a pod of some variety, but microscope pics would be needed to say for sure). For the string though:

Those are Digitate Hydroids (definitely a Zancleid hydroid [taxonomic family Zancleidae], possibly a Zanclea sp.) - there's evidence to suggest that they're actually beneficial to the corals they grow on;* I don't know if they'd sting fish that get too close or not, but it is a risk - similarly, they may spread and cause issues by growing too numerous in the tank and possibly posing a risk to other tank inhabitants.

I know @Reefkeepers Archive had a colony of these - I don't know if they've caused any problems for them or not, but if they still have the colony, they'd have ~5 months of experience with them to relate.

*Source:
Yep, at least that one is a digitate hydroid. I don't know about their effect on zoas but is their base growing out of the coral itself or the rock around it? The ones i have were growing out of my pectinia, they were there for quite some time but now they seem to be decreasing/have decreased in numbers. Are the zoas closed up around the hydroid? If so than it may be irritating it but otherwise it should be good. The only "negative" effect is that the coral doesn't like to grow/branch where the hydroid is but there are small on a large coral so it isn't too big of a problem.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So after some research today I am relatively confident that the tan looking critter from last night is indeed a stomatella :). As for the black one, after researching that, I am starting to think Vetteguy may be correct. It could easily be either an elephant slug or a black stomatella, so I will leave it alone for now. But I do love thinking the other is almost certainly a stomatella.
That was my guess as they are active at night and slowly fade in the morning and hide well until lights ramp down or go off

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, at least that one is a digitate hydroid. I don't know about their effect on zoas but is their base growing out of the coral itself or the rock around it? The ones i have were growing out of my pectinia, they were there for quite some time but now they seem to be decreasing/have decreased in numbers. Are the zoas closed up around the hydroid? If so than it may be irritating it but otherwise it should be good. The only "negative" effect is that the coral doesn't like to grow/branch where the hydroid is but there are small on a large coral so it isn't too big of a problem.
Also here are some photos of them as well as the deformed branch that some are growing on, may be hard to see against the green coral but there there
Screenshot_20240403_210851_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240403_211552_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240403_211545_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240403_211541_Gallery.jpg
20240403_211207.jpg

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That string either hydroids or tube from a vermetid snail or spinoid worm
Hello, I have a completely unrelated question for you. I hear you are quite the tang guy on here. I purchased some calurpa, both palm, and grape that I want to put in my display tank. So my question is will my Naso tang eat any of it? I am fine if he does, I just don't know if they eat that or not, and was hoping you might have some insight on this.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, I have a completely unrelated question for you. I hear you are quite the tang guy on here. I purchased some calurpa, both palm, and grape that I want to put in my display tank. So my question is will my Naso tang eat any of it? I am fine if he does, I just don't know if they eat that or not, and was hoping you might have some insight on this.
Call it what I call it - Salad !!! Yes it will eat it

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! That is the main reason I got it, I just thought it would also be a help in the department of CO2 removal while it is there, but If my Naso will munch on it, all the better. Thank you.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after some research today I am relatively confident that the tan looking critter from last night is indeed a stomatella :). As for the black one, after researching that, I am starting to think Vetteguy may be correct. It could easily be either an elephant slug or a black stomatella, so I will leave it alone for now. But I do love thinking the other is almost certainly a stomatella.
Both are beneficial, and if it's an elephant slug it's more or less the best possible algae eating CUC you can have. If actually an elephant slug, they're long lived and voracious algae eaters. A local reefer would probably give you $100+ for one haha. The only reason you never see them is they're horrific shippers who you only ever really get as a hitchhiker.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are beneficial, and if it's an elephant slug it's more or less the best possible algae eating CUC you can have. If actually an elephant slug, they're long lived and voracious algae eaters. A local reefer would probably give you $100+ for one haha. The only reason you never see them is they're horrific shippers who you only ever really get as a hitchhiker.
In looking at images available online, I feel like that is what it is moreso than a black stomatella.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I got a couple better pictures of the mystery critter tonight. I feel almost certain now that this is a black elephant slug, ! What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6786.jpeg
    IMG_6786.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6787.jpeg
    IMG_6787.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 27

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay I got a couple better pictures of the mystery critter tonight. I feel almost certain now that this is a black elephant slug, ! What are your thoughts?
Yep, stomatella. Great occupant and algae eater

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's not that flatworm! Now you have a great addition to your CUC!

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's not that flatworm! Now you have a great addition to your CUC!
Agreed I was pleasantly surprised to see it very out and about tonight. And glad to have trusted confirmation that this is a good guy not a bad guy
Yep, stomatella. Great occupant and algae eater
awesome and thank you for your help! Not knowing much about odd inhabitants, and some potential bad guys, it is nice to have confirmation this is a good guy! Thank you again

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's definitely an Elephant Slug (Scutus sp.) - you can see the shell under the mantle clearly in your pics.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Elephant slug as a distinct white line on them

1712279562233.png
1712279705451.png

Stomatella"

1712279635165.png
1712279653751.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Miguel.PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

*Source:
Thanks for your help! It’s definitely what I see on my tank! Just checked on a zoa colony and nowhere else. I’ll try to keep them under check. Cheers!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back