Nuisance algae after rollermat failure

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Apparently my Theiling rollermat was malfunctioning for about 2-3 weeks and the fleece wasn't filtering anything during this whole time (there was an opening in the fleece so water level didn't go up and the fleece didn't rotate).

As a result this nuisance algae has been plagueing both my sump and tank since. The sump looks much worse since I guess nothing is eating it. I have a FOLWR so I believe the tangs are controlling the algae in the DT. What can I introduce to the sump that will eat this algae? I prefer not to insert snails, or at least not a species that can reproduce in my tank.

Also: Nitrates are 1 and phosphate is 0.01

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231126_152539000_iOS.MOV
    12.3 MB

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Apparently my Theiling rollermat was malfunctioning for about 2-3 weeks and the fleece wasn't filtering anything during this whole time (there was an opening in the fleece so water level didn't go up and the fleece didn't rotate).

As a result this nuisance algae has been plagueing both my sump and tank since. The sump looks much worse since I guess nothing is eating it. I have a FOLWR so I believe the tangs are controlling the algae in the DT. What can I introduce to the sump that will eat this algae? I prefer not to insert snails, or at least not a species that can reproduce in my tank.

Also: Nitrates are 1 and phosphate is 0.01

Thanks!
Video did not play on my iPad

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you were able to get the rollermat working again, I would say wait it out and algae will eventually go away as the rollermat will bring nutrients back to what they were.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back