Nuisance algae

IDAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, 0.1 ppm of phosphate and 10 ppm of nitrate will prevent phosphate.
but isn't phosphate levels can cause nuisance algae?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae can grow in very phosphate limited water. Your best bet is to get a clean up crew and tang that help. Make sure you have good nutrient export (skimmer, chaeto etc...) and keep the water changes and carbon up.

OP
OP
I

IDAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae can grow in very phosphate limited water. Your best bet is to get a clean up crew and tang that help. Make sure you have good nutrient export (skimmer, chaeto etc...) and keep the water changes and carbon up.
chaeto will lower the nitrate down like algae scrubber?
I am trying to keep nitrate at 10ppm

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have nuisance algae, you don't actually have that low of nutrients that the test is showing, it's just being taken up by the nuisance algaes before being registered by the test. Chaeto is a preferred algae for a refugium.

OP
OP
I

IDAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have nuisance algae, you don't actually have that low of nutrients that the test is showing, it's just being taken up by the nuisance algaes before being registered by the test. Chaeto is a preferred algae for a refugium.
Why chaeto is preferred over scrubber?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why chaeto is preferred over scrubber?
In a refugium not a scrubber. That said a scrubber will outperorm chaeto. I personally dont like chaeto because it grabs everything like filter floss. I really like caulerpa

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, 0.1 ppm of phosphate and 10 ppm of nitrate will prevent phosphate.
but isn't phosphate levels can cause nuisance algae?

Sorry, but I do not understand what you are asking. Those levels are fine targets for a reef tank, but will also allow algae to grow.

OP
OP
I

IDAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I do not understand what you are asking. Those levels are fine targets for a reef tank, but will also allow algae to grow.
sorry I meant "will prevent Dino.."
My question is if scrubber\chaeto will lower your parameters (Phosphate and Nitrate) to zero and that can cause Dino algae, what is the point to have them? sound to me they can cause bigger problems dealing with Dino.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those are good levels to deter dinos. FWIW, the levels themselves are certainly not harming dinos, but more likely allow other organisms to thrive that outcompete dinos for something else.

Back