Nuisance

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Almost looks like a little centipede looking creature wondering if I have more of those in my tank now

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worm. Did it sting you? They are common. A very efficient member of a clean up crew, but they do pack a sting. Some people find them unsightly, and they can overpopulate if you feed heavy. I have a melanaurus wrasse in my 125 that keep them in check.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worm. Did it sting you? They are common. A very efficient member of a clean up crew, but they do pack a sting. Some people find them unsightly, and they can overpopulate if you feed heavy. I have a melanaurus wrasse in my 125 that keep them in check.
Okay that’s a relief, I got rid of him, only bc my cuc is already to much for my tank, I need my snails to go bc of how much they like to reproduce, but I have any other Id of sum sorts if you’d like to help me out

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that’s a relief, I got rid of him, only bc my cuc is already to much for my tank, I need my snails to go bc of how much they like to reproduce, but I have any other Id of sum sorts if you’d like to help me out
image.jpg

I lost the other blob looking creature, I thinkmy first mistake was not dipping my corals in the beginning process of learning how to take care of tanks, now I know and I learn from my mistakes but I also have to deal with the consequences.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the bristle worm goes, if you have one, there's a good chance you have more. I personally don't worry too much about them.
If your snails are reproducing, it means they are eating well and doing their job. I wouldn't thin them out too much.
If you've got other critters to ID, fire away. We'll all do our best to help.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

I lost the other blob looking creature, I thinkmy first mistake was not dipping my corals in the beginning process of learning how to take care of tanks, now I know and I learn from my mistakes but I also have to deal with the consequences.
I wanna figure out how to get rid of this guy. Starting to spread fast
image.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna figure out how to get rid of this guy. Starting to spread fast
image.jpg
Aiptasia. Very bad nuisance. Will spread like a CA wildfire.

Options:
a) give it back to seller and ask for money back
b) Cut the sinularia off the plug and reattach to new plug or rock.
c) No matter what, remove this from the tank. With a hammer and chisel, break off that part of the plug.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Not entirely sure due to focus, but I think that is a vermetid snail. Ugh. I have struggled with those before too.

a) with needle nose pliers, crush at the base
b) hammer and flathead screwdriver -- do the same.

Unlike with the aiptasia, this can safely be done in the tank. Well. Recall that hammers and glass don't always play together nicely.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Options:
c) No matter what, remove this from the tank. With a hammer and chisel, break off that part of the plug.
How would I go about cutting it off, mind you I have never dragged before

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Options:
I also noticed when I took this sinularia out of the water, little bug like creatures were crawling on the rock frag, idk if I should be worried about those little guys, they wernt red just small and clear

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure due to focus, but I think that is a vermetid snail. Ugh. I have struggled with those before too.

a) with needle nose pliers, crush at the base
b) hammer and flathead screwdriver -- do the same.

Unlike with the aiptasia, this can safely be done in the tank. Well. Recall that hammers and glass don't always play together nicely.

When you crush it, you need to see some meaty flesh. Not to get too graphic. Your fish should enjoy eating the scraps.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I go about cutting it off, mind you I have never dragged before

The cutting part is easy. Just a razor blade. The hard part is remounting. Sinularia produce a slime coat that prevents glue from adhering. So two options:

a) use a rubber band to hold it to a piece of rock/rubble.
b) put some rubble rock in a glass, put in tank, and drop the frag in there. Half the time it will affix to the glass but hopefully it will attach to a rock.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed when I took this sinularia out of the water, little bug like creatures were crawling on the rock frag, idk if I should be worried about those little guys, they wernt red just small and clear
probably just amphipods or copepods.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you crush it, you need to see some meaty flesh. Not to get too graphic. Your fish should enjoy eating the scraps.
I easily picked them away with my fingers, white stuff went everywhere,

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably just amphipods or copepods.
Last question because I feel like the tank is out of control, I found a spaghetti worm or what I think is a spaghetti worm, I quarentined it, just need to know if they are ok or if they are bad, it was bright vividly red

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cutting part is easy. Just a razor blade. The hard part is remounting. Sinularia produce a slime coat that prevents glue from adhering. So two options:

a) use a rubber band to hold it to a piece of rock/rubble.
b) put some rubble rock in a glass, put in tank, and drop the frag in there. Half the time it will affix to the glass but hopefully it will attach to a rock.
I wish I could learn visually, I honestly love learning about this type of stuff, but to afraid of losing the actual frag itself. I’ll try cutting it around the base, and I have glue I’ll try to use but I’ll def attempt to rubber band it or just throw it in a glass like u said

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are really just down to dealing with the aiptasia then. When they feel mortally threatened, they essentially spawn into the water. So whatever method you chose, start by taking it gently out of the water first.

Some people use a razor to scrape off the aiptasia just make sure you do that out of the tank and rinse very thoroughly before putting back into tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 46 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back