Temp is 80 degrees
Where do you think my cycle is?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still have a little bit to go in the cycle but you will know when its done when you get 0 nitrite and ammonia and are able to get 0 on both when dosing ammonia again (over a day or so)

What test kit? How long has this been going? Also, what did you use for ammonia and for the bacteria source? Did you use live sand? What rock did you use?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess you are progressing along nicely! When you can put 1ppm of ammonia into the system and clear it to zero ammonia in a 24hr period, then you are cycled. You only have 2ppm nitrates, so I would guess you are still a little early in the cycle, though.

Some people run their tanks at 80 degrees, but the majority are usually around 78-79 degrees...just an FYI.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess you are progressing along nicely! When you can put 1ppm of ammonia into the system and clear it to zero ammonia in a 24hr period, then you are cycled. You only have 2ppm nitrates, so I would guess you are still a little early in the cycle, though.

Some people run their tanks at 80 degrees, but the majority are usually around 78-79 degrees...just an FYI.

Dr Tim noted that higher temperature and lower salinity can actually speed up a cycle which I thought was kinda neat. These bacteria can handle some surprisingly low salinity from what he said in his macna talk.

OP
OP
jeffrey750750

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit? How long has this been going? Also, what did you use for ammonia and for the bacteria source?
Its a tropic marin test kit, the tank has had live sand for two weeks. Live rock from a coral farm that was only out of water for an hour was put in 5 days ago. Brightwell bio plate and n03 plate were soaked with bacter7 overnight prior to the rock added. I've been adding in brightwells fastart as well

OP
OP
jeffrey750750

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tim noted that higher temperature and lower salinity can actually speed up a cycle which I thought was kinda neat. These bacteria can handle some surprisingly low salinity from what he said in his macna talk.
I actually watched that video last night, it made me feel like a chemist. Lol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a tropic marin test kit, the tank has had live sand for two weeks. Live rock from a coral farm that was only out of water for an hour was put in 5 days ago. Brightwell bio plate and n03 plate were soaked with bacter7 overnight prior to the rock added. I've been adding in brightwells fastart as well

When did you add the fast start? I'd imagine you have a nice amount of bacteria in there.

Ps did you mean 0.5 ammonia or 5?

OP
OP
jeffrey750750

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you add the fast start? I'd imagine you have a nice amount of bacteria in there.

Ps did you mean 0.5 ammonia or 5?
It was the day before I put rock in

20200915_230928.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Higher temperatures definitely increase growth...so, it makes sense it might increase the bacterial growth as well. Dr. Tim is a smart dude!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the live rock portion will mask all inactive surfaces in testing and by inclusion in about ten days total time the inactive surfaces would pass their own oxidation testing.

can reef now due to bottle bac, live rock blended setup.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a lawnmower blenny on your picture, does he go after your hand when its in the tank? I had a bi color blenny and he would attack me

Lol I had a starry blenny who would stalk my hand as if it was prey, slowly inching closer behind rocks till he could lash out. It was hilarious. My lawnmower on the other hand is my favorite fish of all time. He is hand fed my homemade frozen food (it holds together so i can do it) and only ever gets my hand by accident when I am handfeeding. I can't recommend any other fish more than how much I recommend lawnmower blennies. They are truly goofy fish.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back