Numerous questions about carbon dosing with vinegar

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with adding some organic carbon, if it is done correctly . If one does not not know how to use carbohydrates correctly and how to prevent overdosing one should not use it. Adding carbohydrates based on the nitrate level, inclusive vinegar, does not prevent overdosing, It has been shown is not safe to use . Not sharing my opinion is one thing, promoting good and safe nutrient management is an other.
Correct nutrient management starts with what is going in, the C/N ratio or protein content of food added. No need for in reefaquaria unnatural and dangerous organic carbon additives to increase the natural carbon content of feed and to limit the natural nitrate production.
Could you please just do a simple how to guide that you follow, instead of jumping into every carbon dosing thread? You act like a chat bot as soon as someone mentions carbon dosing you spam it to death. Just randomly pick a page from find all posts by you and its the same thing over and over again for 20 pages. If it's not carbon dosing it's protein skimmers.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please just do a simple how to guide that you follow, instead of jumping into every carbon dosing thread? You act like a chat bot as soon as someone mentions carbon dosing you spam it to death. Just randomly pick a page from find all posts by you and its the same thing over and over again for 20 pages. If it's not carbon dosing it's protein skimmers.
If one does give advice without warning for the possible caveats created by following that advice ,, then I will react with a warning . If it takes 20 pages it means the issue is alive.
You try to make a point of view by reacting on my previous interception, which means you have a reason to do so. Nobody has stopped you to add a valid reason. And like it or not, a skimmer does play a very imported role in the availability of organic carbon and other essential nutrient and the production of safely stored but usable nitrogen, nitrate.
Talking in discussions about nutrient management , one may not ignore the reasons why one does not agree.
Where are the interests of people reacting on posts? In preventing the disease or in treating the disease? Or just to defend the way one has taken and promoted over a long period op time without taking in account possible side effects, even when many years ago it has been shown to be a dangerous road to follow with many major issues . A road without a final destination. A road which starts where it ends. Maybe one has build his business on that road ? And then one may rightly wonder whether it is a good way to follow, taking the family on a dangerous journey without final destination. Certainly with the knowledge this dangerous road is avoidable in the first place.

If one does not react on this post, it will certainly not take 20 pages to explain how and why,
If one does respond then hopefully with a valid reason.

I will not react any more with explaining how and why, information about dosing carbohydrates, including vinegar, and about basic C/N management has been posted and is available.

I will continue to react on posts concerning dosing carbohydrates based on the nitrate level because it has been proven to have many major side effects and besides killing and bleaching corals, overdosing may lead to a very dangerous situation, loosing 2 of the 3 pillars supporting the carrying capacity. Dosing carbohydrates based on the nitrate level does NOT prevent overdosing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with adding some organic carbon, if it is done correctly . If one does not not know how to use carbohydrates correctly and how to prevent overdosing one should not use it. Adding carbohydrates based on the nitrate level, inclusive vinegar, does not prevent overdosing, It has been shown is not safe to use . Not sharing my opinion is one thing, promoting good and safe nutrient management is an other.
Correct nutrient management starts with what is going in, the C/N ratio or protein content of food added. No need for in reefaquaria unnatural and dangerous organic carbon additives to increase the natural carbon content of feed and to limit the natural nitrate production.

Again, I disagree with most of what you posted, but won't keep beating a dead horse over and over. I just want folks to recognize that your assertions are not generally accepted principles.

I also think you might get more folks to listen if you stopped calling every organic molecule a carbohydrate. Ethanol is not a carbobohydrate in any way, and acetic acid is only a carbohydrate in an uninformed use of a limited definition.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one does give advice without warning for the possible caveats created by following that advice ,, then I will react with a warning . If it takes 20 pages it means the issue is alive.
You try to make a point of view by reacting on my previous interception, which means you have a reason to do so. Nobody has stopped you to add a valid reason. And like it or not, a skimmer does play a very imported role in the availability of organic carbon and other essential nutrient and the production of safely stored but usable nitrogen, nitrate.
Talking in discussions about nutrient management , one may not ignore the reasons why one does not agree.
Where are the interests of people reacting on posts? In preventing the disease or in treating the disease? Or just to defend the way one has taken and promoted over a long period op time without taking in account possible side effects, even when many years ago it has been shown to be a dangerous road to follow with many major issues . A road without a final destination. A road which starts where it ends. Maybe one has build his business on that road ? And then one may rightly wonder whether it is a good way to follow, taking the family on a dangerous journey without final destination. Certainly with the knowledge this dangerous road is avoidable in the first place.

If one does not react on this post, it will certainly not take 20 pages to explain how and why,
If one does respond then hopefully with a valid reason.

I will not react any more with explaining how and why, information about dosing carbohydrates, including vinegar, and about basic C/N management has been posted and is available.

I will continue to react on posts concerning dosing carbohydrates based on the nitrate level because it has been proven to have many major side effects and besides killing and bleaching corals, overdosing may lead to a very dangerous situation, loosing 2 of the 3 pillars supporting the carrying capacity. Dosing carbohydrates based on the nitrate level does NOT prevent overdosing.
That's a lot of words to say 'no I won't post a easy to understand method that I use'.

OP
OP
Y

yoki46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**UPDATE**
Just wanted to give an update on how the vinegar dosing is doing right now. I'm in my 3rd month and nitrates are standing at 7.8 ppm and phosphates 0.08. The phosphates slowly crept up to 0.25 so I reduced them with Phosphate Rx. The nitrates stalled at 12 ppm for around 2 weeks and then slowly started to drop by around ~0.1 ppm per day. There was alot of alkalinity fluctuations when the nitrates were slowly dropping, the alkalinity went up so I had to watch it closely. The alkalinity now hardly moves by 0.1 or 0.3 during the day since the nitrates stand below 10 ppm. I don't have any Cyanobacteria bloom so really happy about that. The Goniapora that had retracted completely recovered and really thriving with polyps extending now. The water clarity has really changed also and much more clearer. Overall, really happy with the result.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**UPDATE**
Just wanted to give an update on how the vinegar dosing is doing right now. I'm in my 3rd month and nitrates are standing at 7.8 ppm and phosphates 0.08. The phosphates slowly crept up to 0.25 so I reduced them with Phosphate Rx. The nitrates stalled at 12 ppm for around 2 weeks and then slowly started to drop by around ~0.1 ppm per day. There was alot of alkalinity fluctuations when the nitrates were slowly dropping, the alkalinity went up so I had to watch it closely. The alkalinity now hardly moves by 0.1 or 0.3 during the day since the nitrates stand below 10 ppm. I don't have any Cyanobacteria bloom so really happy about that. The Goniapora that had retracted completely recovered and really thriving with polyps extending now. The water clarity has really changed also and much more clearer. Overall, really happy with the result.

Thanks for the update!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back