Nursing A Fish Back To Health

Jayme Lynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I have recently rescued a yellow belly regal blue tang from my local pet store that no longer wanted to care for it. I may not be fully knowledgeable on how to get this baby back to tiptop shape, as to why am posting and asking for help, I just couldn’t see this sweet fish be disposed of. any and all recommendations, advice and input is deeply appreciated!

Thanks !
Jay

4C4F9D16-DE7A-416F-8F10-2CBD61E435EC.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the fish has a severe case of HLLE and a bacterial infection. HLLE can be treated by feeding the fish high quality frozen foods + vitamins like Zoecon, which is specifically formulated for Tangs suffering from HLLE. Lots of live foods (blackworms/white worms) if possible and Nori that has been soaked in Zoecon, etc.
The bacterial infection requires antibiotics. The "Trifecta" of Kanaplex + Furan2 + Metro, or dosing with NFG would be of help here as it is a mix that covers an extremely wide spectrum of antibiotics.
Good on you for trying to save such a needy fish. :)
Is it eating? How is it's behavior? Do you notice any of these symptoms: breathing heavy, swimming into a powerhead/flow, twitching, scratching, hiding from light?
Welcome to R2R! Sorry it's under such circumstances. You are exactly the kind of person we need here. Good on you for caring for this poor fish.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE is what you are dealing with here (head and lateral line erosion. And some fin rot from a bacterial infection. Appears the fish has had less than pristine water and less than nutritious food for a while.

It will benefit from clean water and foods soaked with selcon or zoecon (vitamins for fish).

Fish will always have scarring from this but what a beautiful fish to save. I hope it recovers and makes you a wonderful pet for years to come.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others said, high quality food (tangs eat meat too. I suggest LRS reef frenzy as it has nori in it), a clip of nori to graze, and vitamins. I like Vita-chem. I'd make sure it's eating before you start antibiotics, because that can suppress appetite.

It's very rewarding to save a sick fish, as it is with any animal. I applaud you.

OP
OP
Jayme Lynn

Jayme Lynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the fish has a severe case of HLLE and a bacterial infection. HLLE can be treated by feeding the fish high quality frozen foods + vitamins like Zoecon, which is specifically formulated for Tangs suffering from HLLE. Lots of live foods (blackworms/white worms) if possible and Nori that has been soaked in Zoecon, etc.
The bacterial infection requires antibiotics. The "Trifecta" of Kanaplex + Furan2 + Metro, or dosing with NFG would be of help here as it is a mix that covers an extremely wide spectrum of antibiotics.
Good on you for trying to save such a needy fish. :)
Is it eating? How is it's behavior? Do you notice any of these symptoms: breathing heavy, swimming into a powerhead/flow, twitching, scratching, hiding from light?
Welcome to R2R! Sorry it's under such circumstances. You are exactly the kind of person we need here. Good on you for caring for this poor fish.
Thank you so much for your response and the warm welcome ! So helpful !
I have had the fish for two days now and it’s behavior is as I would expect, a little uncertain and skidish but nothing too out of the ordinary.
I have him in a pretty decent size tank with a Fox face, purple tang and blonde naso tang. Thankfully none of the other fish are bothering him and the blonde naso tang is surprisingly friendly with him. Today was the first day he came out when the light turned on and ventured around the tank and he is eating very, very well! Almost as if he hasn’t eaten in a while
I have high hopes! Fingers crossed !

D05078B8-22A6-498F-BC90-BD1DB521000C.jpeg

OP
OP
Jayme Lynn

Jayme Lynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others said, high quality food (tangs eat meat too. I suggest LRS reef frenzy as it has nori in it), a clip of nori to graze, and vitamins. I like Vita-chem. I'd make sure it's eating before you start antibiotics, because that can suppress appetite.

It's very rewarding to save a sick fish, as it is with any animal. I applaud you.
Thank you so much for your advice !

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! As @jasonrusso posted above LRS is a great move if you can get it; if not you can make a "fish smoothie" that will be loaded with protein and vitamins and fiber. The smoothie is a mix of as many frozen foods you can get: seaweed, reef mix, brine shrimp, chopped clams, cyclops, etc. Put one of each in a dish in your refrigerator overnight allowing the frozen to "slump." Pour off the excess liquid and add in a few drops of vitamins. This mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days. Your fish will love it.

OP
OP
Jayme Lynn

Jayme Lynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE is what you are dealing with here (head and lateral line erosion. And some fin rot from a bacterial infection. Appears the fish has had less than pristine water and less than nutritious food for a while.

It will benefit from clean water and foods soaked with selcon or zoecon (vitamins for fish).

Fish will always have scarring from this but what a beautiful fish to save. I hope it recovers and makes you a wonderful pet for years to come.
Great advice thank you !

OP
OP
Jayme Lynn

Jayme Lynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That sounds great thank you so much !

OP
OP
Jayme Lynn

Jayme Lynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! As @jasonrusso posted above LRS is a great move if you can get it; if not you can make a "fish smoothie" that will be loaded with protein and vitamins and fiber. The smoothie is a mix of as many frozen foods you can get: seaweed, reef mix, brine shrimp, chopped clams, cyclops, etc. Put one of each in a dish in your refrigerator overnight allowing the frozen to "slump." Pour off the excess liquid and add in a few drops of vitamins. This mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days. Your fish will love it.
I love the fish smoothie idea thank you!

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, props to you for saving such a remarkable fish. It is truly a shame that some people let things go like this. Everyone has already brought up some great advice and recommendations especially with the vitamins and blackworms (I have used these for years). If you have any wild salmon you can also chop it up in small bits and see if he will take it. I have fed a very malnourished royal gramma that I rescued using that and he regained his dark purple/yellow coloration. I am guessing the carotenoids and the fatty acids helped but this is all anecdotal. Going to be a while before it starts recovering but the good news is that he/she is in good hands now.

OP
OP
Jayme Lynn

Jayme Lynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, props to you for saving such a remarkable fish. It is truly a shame that some people let things go like this. Everyone has already brought up some great advice and recommendations especially with the vitamins and blackworms (I have used these for years). If you have any wild salmon you can also chop it up in small bits and see if he will take it. I have fed a very malnourished royal gramma that I rescued using that and he regained his dark purple/yellow coloration. I am guessing the carotenoids and the fatty acids helped but this is all anecdotal. Going to be a while before it starts recovering but the good news is that he/she is in good hands now.
I would have never thought about the wild salmon ! That’s great thank you !

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back