Nursing A Fish Back To Health

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have never thought about the wild salmon ! That’s great thank you !
I pretty much use it for everything such as myself (haha), eastern indigo's, coral, fish, anemone's and even my firebelly toads I have at school (although I got to wiggle the portions to get their attention). They have kept their red bellies longer than other captives according to the people I know and I believe it is due to the salmon which is fed to them once a week. I know it will not bring out red in the tang but it is loaded with tons of good stuff.

Did the store tell you how long they had the tang for?

OP
OP
Jayme Lynn

Jayme Lynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much use it for everything such as myself (haha), eastern indigo's, coral, fish, anemone's and even my firebelly toads I have at school (although I got to wiggle the portions to get their attention). They have kept their red bellies longer than other captives according to the people I know and I believe it is due to the salmon which is fed to them once a week. I know it will not bring out red in the tang but it is loaded with tons of good stuff.

Did the store tell you how long they had the tang for?
I believe the store had the fish for 4 months. They did say the tried some type of antibiotics but didn’t specify and did have it quarantined In it’s own tank.
Once it’s feeling better it think it will be a lot happier in a tank with other lively fish

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is the fish today? Welcome to R2R!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! That's the fish equivalent of Skeletor …. about the worst case of HLLE I have ever seen. Feed well, nori, protein (mysis, LRS) and soak food in vitamins.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Lots of great info for the food, vitamins, plenty of algae sheets and in a few months you'll be amazed at the good you have completed. :)

We respect, admire and are grateful for what you are doing Jay. You can bring this sweetheart to health and happiness. Thank you so much.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi!
I have recently rescued a yellow belly regal blue tang from my local pet store that no longer wanted to care for it. I may not be fully knowledgeable on how to get this baby back to tiptop shape, as to why am posting and asking for help, I just couldn’t see this sweet fish be disposed of. any and all recommendations, advice and input is deeply appreciated!

Thanks !
Jay

4C4F9D16-DE7A-416F-8F10-2CBD61E435EC.jpeg

It seems the Hepatus and most surgeon fish suffer from Head and lateral line disease than any other tangs. Many angels also endure this issue. I have had success with merely bumping up vitamin content both in supplements to water and mainly to the food the particular fish eats to promote healing.
Selcon , or Kent Zoe for example added to frozen foods does a bit..... but does take time. Frozen foods with high aminos also help

Welcome to R2R and to reefing !!!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your response and the warm welcome ! So helpful !
I have had the fish for two days now and it’s behavior is as I would expect, a little uncertain and skidish but nothing too out of the ordinary.
I have him in a pretty decent size tank with a Fox face, purple tang and blonde naso tang. Thankfully none of the other fish are bothering him and the blonde naso tang is surprisingly friendly with him. Today was the first day he came out when the light turned on and ventured around the tank and he is eating very, very well! Almost as if he hasn’t eaten in a while
I have high hopes! Fingers crossed !

D05078B8-22A6-498F-BC90-BD1DB521000C.jpeg

It sounds as if you've put him directly into your display tank. IMO, this fish should have been placed in a quarantine tank until it is healed. I would work under the assumption that this fish is diseased and can infect other fish. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case, but better to play it safe.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back