Nutrience bottomed out. Whats next?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I accidentally let my nutrience bottom out in my 10g reef and I notice one small string that looks somewhat like dino. I removed it and removed my nano protein skimmer. What are the next steps I can take to avoid an outbreak?
I'm assuming up feeding or keep feeding the same and with the skimmer gone I should be okay.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nutrients truly bottomed out and you're seeing negative side effects, you can dose KNO3 or NaPO4.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nutrients truly bottomed out and you're seeing negative side effects, you can dose KNO3 or NaPO4.
My sps have had amazing growth. Sandbed is clean filter sock is nasty. I think I may just stop skimming for the moment or tune the skimmer to be slower
I water change 2-3 weeks
Tons of algae.
My water test kits show 0 nitrate and 0 phos

20200117_113552.jpg 20200117_113543.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can be in a situation where algae can take up nutrients as fast as they're produced. So you actually have a "low nutrient" with algae. Yay!

Adding nutrients with algae winning the competition on uptake might not lead to the results you're looking for...I know, I'm there, too.

Try to manually remove as much algae as you can (unless you want to go refugium or scrubber) before adding nutrients or dialing back on whatever it is got you there (carbon dosing/skimming)

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can be in a situation where algae can take up nutrients as fast as they're produced. So you actually have a "low nutrient" with algae. Yay!

Adding nutrients with algae winning the competition on uptake might not lead to the results you're looking for...I know, I'm there, too.

Try to manually remove as much algae as you can (unless you want to go refugium or scrubber) before adding nutrients or dialing back on whatever it is got you there (carbon dosing/skimming)
I'm pretty happy where I'm at but the skimmer cup gets to a quarter full in like 3 weeks which means there isnt much in the water any way.
I'm starting to see the long black strings that lead to this last time. I'm not sure it was dino because my nutrience wasnt bottomed out with this outbreak

Granted it's only 2 strings hanging on 2 dead Vermetidae skeletons
Screenshot_20191010-211436_Photos.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there's also the "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I agree with you though...do something gradual, like reducing skimmer run time is a good way to go. So far I'm able to keep dialing down carbon dosing but once that zero's out, I'll be reducing skimmer run.

Persistent brown algae, but worry about 0 nutrients causing dino outbreak. Testing every 2 or 3 days until I find that sweet spot.

I'm also thinking (and would like your opinion) that a little GHA might be a good thing. If nutrients go too low they'll die off and add them back kind of like a safety. At least enough time for me to recognize and take some action.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there's also the "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I agree with you though...do something gradual, like reducing skimmer run time is a good way to go. So far I'm able to keep dialing down carbon dosing but once that zero's out, I'll be reducing skimmer run.

Persistent brown algae, but worry about 0 nutrients causing dino outbreak. Testing every 2 or 3 days until I find that sweet spot.

I'm also thinking (and would like your opinion) that a little GHA might be a good thing. If nutrients go too low they'll die off and add them back kind of like a safety. At least enough time for me to recognize and take some action.
That brings up a good point.. theres plentiful gha in the back and if it dies it will release nutrience to grow more algae. The reason I let it grown in the back and dont remove is because I have the mindset of if its growing all in there it wont grow in the display. I'm assuming it grows there due to slow flow vs high flow in the display
I might cut my skimming in half

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That brings up a good point.. theres plentiful gha in the back and if it dies it will release nutrience to grow more algae. The reason I let it grown in the back and dont remove is because I have the mindset of if its growing all in there it wont grow in the display. I'm assuming it grows there due to slow flow vs high flow in the display
I might cut my skimming in half
Sounds logical to me. I'd monitor closely (every couple days) and if not responding, it's easy to turn skimmer back on and go another route. Heavier feeding, or maybe less light in back of tank or something. Personally, and this is just my thoughts, I want to find a way to get a balance between food, algae, removal before adding nutrients in directly.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds logical to me. I'd monitor closely (every couple days) and if not responding, it's easy to turn skimmer back on and go another route. Heavier feeding, or maybe less light in back of tank or something. Personally, and this is just my thoughts, I want to find a way to get a balance between food, algae, removal before adding nutrients in directly.
The light thing is what's funny. I have almost 0 light going into the back section but it grows great there

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. I temporarily added back into the tank an in tank uv steralizer and 1 ml of peroxide per night. I am also running the protein skimmer half as much and the brown stringy algae is almost all gone. Its stopped spreading and has receded.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back