Nutrient control - I understand some corals need tight control of nutrient levels - but why?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m newer at this than many and running an easy soft tank, but was wondering what the specific issue is with LPS/SPS/NPS corals when nutrients like Nitrates and Phosphates get above the fairly low desirable levels?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To truly understand, you'd need to have a firm understanding of the coral holobiont and its complex biology. Try to just accept that they have adapted to more than less oligotrophic waters over millions of years and that can't be changed in a day or two. Furthermore, if you look into eutrophication which happens when nitrates and phosphates are raised by accident by humans, you will find severe algal overgrowth and a highly disrupted habitat with the algae outcompeting the corals.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To truly understand, you'd need to have a firm understanding of the coral holobiont and its complex biology. Try to just accept that they have adapted to more than less oligotrophic waters over millions of years and that can't be changed in a day or two. Furthermore, if you look into eutrophication which happens when nitrates and phosphates are raised by accident by humans, you will find severe algal overgrowth and a highly disrupted habitat with the algae outcompeting the corals.
It's like when my tank was getting more input, less output. Many of the softies that could grow out of the algae were fine. Zoa's got covered, lps died, either from high nutrients or low calcium/alk/mag.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back