nutrient export in AIO tanks, how are you doing it?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently set up an all in one tank. It is larger than my previous tank but has much less filtration. All my previous tanks have had refugiums and the tank I am upgrading form had a fuge and skimmer. This new tank has neither. . . I was thinking about just putting a ton of macros in the display to sort of make up for the lack of fuge and chaeto. . . anyone have macro in thier display and find that it removes nutrients?

I always have and will continue to do water changes.

How are you guys exporting nutrients in your AIO tanks. Please post picture below.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi MoshJosh,
My 56g column was an AIO for a year or so. The only filtration I had was live rock, sand, macro algae and an aquaclear 50 power filter. I also did a 5 gallon water change every week and the tank did well.
Eventually I hooked it up to my basement sump when I took down the seahorse tank next to it.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small water changes/regular detritus removal are the only exports for 14 years in this small system (no mechanical or chemical filtration):

12g FTS_102322.jpg

I used the same simple set up for 10 years with a 55g.

AIOs are simple and cleanly contained which is part of their appeal. While I understand that you are used to things like a refugium, skimmer, etc., they are not necessities for running a successful reef aquarium. Some people try to add these things to their AIO with varying degrees of success, but at that point they might as well just get a sumped system, IMO.

But to your point, you can add macro algae to the display and then harvest regularly to help export nutrients if that is needed. Then again, some people add macro to the DT just because they like it which is fine, too. Just need to make sure the macro is not of a type that physically irritates nearby corals.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get hang on back skimmers, reactors, etc. And also small ish in tank skimmers and reactors.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back