Nutrient increased after manual GHA removal

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I recently removed manually some gha, is getting out of control and a cuc boost its on its way (adding 2 turbos, 2 trochus, 1 lettuce slug).
After I did the manual removal my PO4 reached something above 0.5 mg/l (I need a hanna URL, I know) and NO3 are around 30-40 mg/l (before were around 10-15).
My plan for the tank is to have a (super)mixed reef tank with LPS, SPS and macros. ATM I have mainly lps (favia, euphyllia, lepta, zoa, mushrooms, all look ok) and macros, only one monti superman but its hard to tell if its doing well or not after few weeks.

Should I be concerned about such nutrient levels aside from GHA? Are suitable for a mixed reef or its too high?
Or should I leave things as they are now and don't mess up or try to reduce nutrients and hope it will also solve my GHA problem?
Also I don't understand how this situation is possible with so much macros and GHA. Shouldn't they consume all the nutrients quickly from the water column?
I am wondering if it make sense to spend time and money to adapt some sort of sump for a skimmer (it would be quite expensive) or just increase the amount of WC with the AWC system..or leave things as they are and hope its just a phase and not a trend.

FYI I have a 32g long, 6 months old, no skimmer, no sump, canister filter and rocks only.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Present situation with my system
16412201366561341682222437888431.jpg

16412201768095799085982070379901.jpg
16412201992742253122175891026126.jpg

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume it’s because the gha was consuming those nutrients to grow.

To put your mind at ease my phosphate got out of control (1.4ppm, NOT .14, 1.4 which is beyond hannas range) and I only caught it because one digi went grey on me. You’re not near a crash event or anything if that’s your concern. Phosphate rx is a great tool recommended to me by a very respected member of DFWMAS and it solved my problem quickly

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your GHA was consuming the phosphates which leads to a false reading, you are on the right track now...

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your GHA was consuming the phosphates which leads to a false reading, you are on the right track now...
Ok so my parameters are not bad enough to rush into anything right?
I can easily increase my WC from 1 to 2 liters/day and add more cuc if the newcomers don't deal properly with GHA.
I was also considering a mini skimmer like the Tunze, but I would need to move some stuff around to find enough space for it.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my parameters are not bad enough to rush into anything right?
I can easily increase my WC from 1 to 2 liters/day and add more cuc if the newcomers don't deal properly with GHA.
I was also considering a mini skimmer like the Tunze, but I would need to move some stuff around to find enough space for it.

I know you didn’t quote me here, but no it isn’t anything to start emergency protocols over. It’s high but not in danger and hopefully will fall naturally, or you can utilize a product like I recommended if it doesn’t, prevent you from having to build out a secondary system. Skimmers are good though if you’re looking for an excuse to dive in!

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you didn’t quote me here, but no it isn’t anything to start emergency protocols over. It’s high but not in danger and hopefully will fall naturally, or you can utilize a product like I recommended if it doesn’t, prevent you from having to build out a secondary system. Skimmers are good though if you’re looking for an excuse to dive in!
Thanks for the feedback! I am relieved that this is not too bad. I am moving to another house/city in a bit more than 1 year so I will need to re-build everything anyway..Next time with a sump and drilled tank.
What's inside Phosphate rx? I am not a big fan of liquid potions to be honest, I am more concerned about my microfauna and pod diversity than corals if I have to say it out loud..

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I am relieved that this is not too bad. I am moving to another house/city in a bit more than 1 year so I will need to re-build everything anyway..Next time with a sump and drilled tank.
What's inside Phosphate rx? I am not a big fan of liquid potions to be honest, I am more concerned about my microfauna and pod diversity than corals if I have to say it out loud..

I couldn’t agree more on the potion theory, I would have NEVER considered it if I didn’t hear it from Melev who I help move tanks around on occasion. I keep a display fuge and grow phyto/pods so I am fully in your corner. I am not a scientist by trade but how it works is binds phosphates into solid clumps that are then extracted by your filter sock. It will make the tank cloudy for 12-24 hours (16 in my experience) then clear up and no changes to parameters. According to him he uses it twice a year give or take when the tank gets above .5-.75 and uses about 1 bottle per year total for his massive system. I did use it just 1 week ago and went test crazy to make sure. I know that won’t put it to bed as I’m a stranger on the internet but it worked for me.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t agree more on the potion theory, I would have NEVER considered it if I didn’t hear it from Melev who I help move tanks around on occasion. I keep a display fuge and grow phyto/pods so I am fully in your corner. I am not a scientist by trade but how it works is binds phosphates into solid clumps that are then extracted by your filter sock. It will make the tank cloudy for 12-24 hours (16 in my experience) then clear up and no changes to parameters. According to him he uses it twice a year give or take when the tank gets above .5-.75 and uses about 1 bottle per year total for his massive system. I did use it just 1 week ago and went test crazy to make sure. I know that won’t put it to bed as I’m a stranger on the internet but it worked for me.
interesting stuff! I learn more day by day on this forum, incredible. Given that apparently I am not risking much with my nutrient levels I think I am waiting some time with bigger WC and see where it goes, otherwise I will consider some alternative solution.. Why you say that PO4 is the main problem and not NO3 as well? Because it is the one driving GHA growth?

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting stuff! I learn more day by day on this forum, incredible. Given that apparently I am not risking much with my nutrient levels I think I am waiting some time with bigger WC and see where it goes, otherwise I will consider some alternative solution.. Why you say that PO4 is the main problem and not NO3 as well? Because it is the one driving GHA growth?

No3 is one also, if I stated otherwise that’s incorrect on my part. My nitrates hover around 15-25 but when my phos went way out of whack I needed something major to fix it. Still not sure how it spiked so much, but my best guess is I did a massive harvest of “good” macro from my fuge, and there after my phosphate jumped big time. Only real change to the system.

BAF1714C-B71D-4AF2-820A-09B6BF269C83.jpeg C067FA66-B6B2-4FD9-A7EF-ED5811657C65.jpeg 43CA8D75-DB85-4C1D-847F-729282CAEAB2.jpeg B0A3ECCC-A1CD-416C-BBC5-96E18BD0A60A.jpeg

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3 is one also, if I stated otherwise that’s incorrect on my part. My nitrates hover around 15-25 but when my phos went way out of whack I needed something major to fix it. Still not sure how it spiked so much, but my best guess is I did a massive harvest of “good” macro from my fuge, and there after my phosphate jumped big time. Only real change to the system.

BAF1714C-B71D-4AF2-820A-09B6BF269C83.jpeg C067FA66-B6B2-4FD9-A7EF-ED5811657C65.jpeg 43CA8D75-DB85-4C1D-847F-729282CAEAB2.jpeg B0A3ECCC-A1CD-416C-BBC5-96E18BD0A60A.jpeg
Wow that's a big-aff fuge! Next tank I am definitely going for a sump+fuge.
Were your LPS ok when you had the PO4 spike?

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a big-aff fuge! Next tank I am definitely going for a sump+fuge.
Were your LPS ok when you had the PO4 spike?

Yes, only lost one digitata SPS, that’s what started my investigation. Don’t quote me here but I personally believe LPS like “dirtier” water as compared to sticks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back