Nutrients out of wack

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get my nutrients figure out. Earlier this spring, I had a dino out break, coolia to be exact, and for the moment it seems to be taken care of. Dont see much of them under the scope any more. At the time I was running .10 p04 and 10-20 no3. Since the dinos have receded, I have had red cyano come in. I havent done much to remove the cyano, because with dinos, you want something to fill that gap, so removing it right away would have gave the dinos a place to get a foot hold again. Well Im at around 1 month or so having cyano, and I am kinda getting tried of it. I have syphoned it off the sand 2-3 times for it come back 3-4 days later. I constantly check my nutrients and my po4 is between .05 and .10, my no3 for whatever reason seems to ALWAYS be stuck at 2.5 (test both with hanna checkers). I dose NeoNitro to try to get to 5, maybe even 10, but it just doesn't move. Reading some places they state that the nutrients could be locked up in the cyano??? Other things I have noticed......my cheato has gone from so thick I could stand on it, to just about gone. I assume little to no nutrients left for it to thrive on? I get algae/film on the glass so I know there's nutrients and the corals look great. I just never had my nutrients get out of the redfield ratio, and now cant get them back on track. Any ideas where I should start? Maybe more fish load?

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree and maybe some flow issues… a lot of coral sitting on sand bed. What would you suggest. I have 3/4 nassarius snails, lost my diamond sand goby….waiting on LFS stock. 4/5 hermits. Anything else I should get? 90 gal system

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree and maybe some flow issues… a lot of coral sitting on sand bed. What would you suggest. I have 3/4 nassarius snails, lost my diamond sand goby….waiting on LFS stock. 4/5 hermits. Anything else I should get? 90 gal system
what substrate? and how deep? What happened to the sand goby, and when did it die?

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby disappeared during Dino’s. I’d say 1 month or so ago. Had for 3 years. Goby and flow has moved sand around a bit, when I installed sand, it had 2-3 inches. Aragonite special grade

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby disappeared during Dino’s. I’d say 1 month or so ago. Had for 3 years. Goby and flow has moved sand around a bit, when I installed sand, it had 2-3 inches. Aragonite special grade
oh, makes sense, maybe wait till cyano is gone too btw. they sift the sand, so maybe dinotoxin..

Anyways, strawberry conch, Knobby creepers, Stocky/african cerith, micro brittle, dwarf planaxis.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back