Nutrition to help cycling

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually Dr Tim's recommends not letting nitrite OR ammonia get over 5ppm for same stall out reason so.....I might add proper per gallon amount bio spira or Dr Tim's to kick start bacteria or change water to get level down then do it ;-) but being newbie advice is worth what you paid...chuckle

I second that idea. I have had wonderful success with. I have found that Dr. Tims really speeds up the process.

I would also recommend adding live sand to further speed things up. Petco has 10 lbs bags online for $11.

OP
OP
mpjmeyer

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have live sand already. I'm just not sure what additives would do for me, unless they will convert ammonia to nitrite...:confused:. I'm just going to let it go so nature can take it's course

OP
OP
mpjmeyer

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Dr. Tim about my water parameters. They said, "Hello, If your ammonia are 78 ppm, you need to change lots of water. It will take months to cycle with that much ammonia.". Do I need to do a massive water change or let it go?

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Dr. Tim about my water parameters. They said, "Hello, If your ammonia are 78 ppm, you need to change lots of water. It will take months to cycle with that much ammonia.". Do I need to do a massive water change or let it go?

Totally. Unless you want to wait forever. I just started a Dr Tim's cycle yesterday on a QT setup and added his ammonia nitrate at 2ppm as per his direction. Today I'm already down to 0.5ppm. Hoping to be close to 0 tomorrow. However I'm using MarinePure biomedia and not live rock so I don't have any dying organics.

My API test kit won't even read higher than 8.0ppm. That's off the charts!!!

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you mean 7.8ppm... either way, just do a 50% WC anyway.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back