Nuvo 10 Stand - An Ikea Besta reinforcement solution

MuddyPeaks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently realized I had only been lurking and had made no posts, so I want to share with you my stand and how it was reinforced.

First, I know some people are very weary of Ikea furniture, so let me say- I am biased. I love the versatility of it, and that it can be "hacked" as well as taken apart if need be for a move.
I will however also recognize that it is not perfect.

IMG_20210507_114742__01.jpg

(The tank. You can see it's a newer tank- things still need to grow in and kinks worked out in terms of my maintenance)

Now this starts when I moved states with my tank- I was lucky to be given a few (free!) pieces of furniture among which came the Besta cabinet. It was welcomed because I wasn't able to bring my old stand with me and I thought this would fit the bill.
However, while the dimensions are well suited for my small apartment, the weight capacity of this baby is a mere 44 lbs :oops:
Also as some of you might know, some Ikea furniture is prone to tip unless fixed to the wall. The Besta is very much in that category but as a renter, I don't want to make holes in walls if I can avoid it.

After going through my options several times and weighing in the fact that I had no tools and minimal woodworking skills (nor knew anyone in my new city who did) I decided to reach out on a facebook group for someone with both those things that would charge me a reasonable amount- one that would stay lower than or within budget of what it might cost to buy a sturdier piece of furniture /Or/ what it would cost me to buy both tools and materials for the project.

I requested what is basically a frame within the cabinet- one that would hold /at least/ 100 lbs. This calculation was based on 8.33 lbs for each gallon of water, about 7 lbs for rock, and 4 lbs for sand- because I keep less rock and sand than most rule-of-thumb recommendations. (My sand bed is maybe 1 inch or less of coverage)

I also wanted to keep a shelf for organizing the UPS battery backup that everything is connected to, and testing, and dosing miscellaneous.

The end result was pleasantly solid
Polish_20210508_000015377.jpg

(The person I commissioned for the job sent me this picture of them testing the stand lol)

I didn't take pictures of the empty inside before I moved the tank onto it, so you'll see here everything on it and a few pics where I moved things aside to show the structure of the frame (which was painted black and blends into the dark interior really well)

IMG_20210428_132850__01.jpg

IMG_20210508_154944__01.jpg

IMG_20210428_143411.jpg

(Next pictures were taken with flash so you can see the structure better.

Also, the ato is a cheap solution for now that will get upgraded later down the road)

IMG_20210508_142253.jpg

IMG_20210508_142241.jpg

IMG_20210508_142147.jpg

I hope this was/is helpful to anyone else thinking about an Ikea solution for their tank- I attempted to search online for ideas hoping someone had a solution when I was still thinking of what to do, and was able to find a German YouTuber and 1 or 2 online forum posts but not much else, so I hope this fills that gap somewhat.

sssky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. This is really helpful. I really want the Besta because it is exactly the right size for IM20 and I really like the look. But I haven't figure out how to properlly re-enforce it without a table saw.

Back