Nuvo 40 Build Thread

TrillBill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys and welcome to my thread! You can also follow me on Instagram @supremereefing. This is going to be the journey of my nuvo 40. My equipment list so far is:
Innovative Marine Nuvo 40 AOI
Radion XR15 x2
Jeabao 2000 DC Return Pump
IceCap Gyre 1K
inTank filter floss holder
Innovative Marine Media Rack
Eshopps Nano Skimmer
*currently trying to decide what heater*
30lbs dry rock
5lb live rock from my established nuvo 13.5

I’m planning on making this my display and my old 13.5 as a frag tank. I started my cycle on June 1st, 2020 and used Frits turbo start to help kickstart everything.

89A51084-AEBC-42F9-9C30-B5366E40ADB6.jpeg FB11607C-42AD-431B-9704-3DD48BCF95E2.jpeg

OP
OP
TrillBill

TrillBill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! What do you plan on stocking the tank with?
I want to do a sps dedicated tank, however I love torches and other lps too much to leave them out! Eventually I’m going to move everything from my 13.5 into the 40. My list in the 13.5 is as follows:
Forrest on fire rhodactis
Orange ricordea
Scrambled egg zoa
Green hammer
Gatorade zoa
Gender bender cypastrya
Pink Goni
TSA Death spiral
Rasta zoa
King Midas zoa
ORA Frogskin Tort
Blondies Zoa
Ultra favia
Red montipora
Vivid purple shortcake
Jedi mind trick montipora
Blue green Tort
Red digitada
Utter chaos zoa
Twizzlers zoa
Scrambled eggs zoa
Reef koi bounce mushroom
Indo Gold tip torch
Dragon Soul torch
SC Orange Passion
WWC Walt Disney
Indo green torch
OG Bounce
Neptune Bounce
Rainbow incinerators zoa
Frankenstein bounce
Neptune bounce
Jawbreaker mushroom

As far as fish go I have a black storm clownfish, and I want to add a yellow candy hogfish and yasha goby. I’m still trying to decide what else I would add after that, as I don’t wanna over crowd the tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

OP
OP
TrillBill

TrillBill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Just make sure u have enough room between the glass and rocks so it’ll be easier to clean and room for corals to grow :)
Thank you! I made this same mistake with my 13.5, however I just want enough surface area to get a nice health colony of bacteria. Before I add corals I think I’m going to remove some rock and go with a little more simplistic scape, or who knows I might just be lazy and keep it the way it is!

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to not over crowd, but reef friendly and appropriate for that size I'd reccomend:

Scooter blenny
Royal gramma
Engineer goby ( these are awesome )

Seems like you have great taste in corals.

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I made this same mistake with my 13.5, however I just want enough surface area to get a nice health colony of bacteria. Before I add corals I think I’m going to remove some rock and go with a little more simplistic scape, or who knows I might just be lazy and keep it the way it is!
Either way it looks great ! Looking forward to seeing how your tank turns out . I have the fluval evo 13.5 as well :)

OP
OP
TrillBill

TrillBill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to not over crowd, but reef friendly and appropriate for that size I'd reccomend:

Scooter blenny
Royal gramma
Engineer goby ( these are awesome )

Seems like you have great taste in corals.
Thank you! Would you believe me if I told you I have only been in the hobby for a year? Lol I did about 6 months of research before I even thought about buying a tank, then jumped in strong! Flash foward a year and I’m already upgrading because I want more real estate

OP
OP
TrillBill

TrillBill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today marks 2 weeks since I started my cycle! Ammonia has been at 0 for the past 7 days so I’m confident my mini cycle is finished! You know what that means: FIRST FISH TIME!
I decided to go with the beautiful but hardy lightning maroon clown. He seems to be enjoying his new home, swimming around and eating strong. Before you say It no that’s not an ick spot, it’s just apart of his coloring my buddy who I got it from has had it for about a year and I verified through his thread ;Pompus
C6FDC74C-B56A-476C-8EF2-D0EE5DB60C0D.jpeg

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Would you believe me if I told you I have only been in the hobby for a year? Lol I did about 6 months of research before I even thought about buying a tank, then jumped in strong! Flash foward a year and I’m already upgrading because I want more real estate

Yes sounds exactly like myself. Started research last summer and still daily. Started in October 2019, water in November. Fast forward and my bowfront is doing great, I bought a 70G cube. New sump and am still buying things for when I setup the 70. Its fun and quite relaxing If you ask me.

webdizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump on my NuvoSkim DC skimmer died. It was only 1.5 years old. I've heard that those pumps are "junk" so I'm considering replacing the whole skimmer but don't know what else will fit in the 2nd chamber from the outside (a definite requirement for me) of my Nuvo 40. It sounds like the Tunze 9004 only fits in the end chambers.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump on my NuvoSkim DC skimmer died. It was only 1.5 years old. I've heard that those pumps are "junk" so I'm considering replacing the whole skimmer but don't know what else will fit in the 2nd chamber from the outside (a definite requirement for me) of my Nuvo 40. It sounds like the Tunze 9004 only fits in the end chambers.

Wondering the same thing...

OP
OP
TrillBill

TrillBill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys sorry for the delay life’s been crazy! But I’m back and active. The tank is doing great, I haven’t added any corals yet but I think the time has come to start transferring everything over from my 13.5 and turn it into my frag tank. I did a bit of a rescape still not to sure on it, what do you guys think? I also have a temporary resident that you guys don’t know about, it’s my buddies desjardini tang! Before you go calling the tang police let me explain, my buddy has a 180 and when he introduced this guy he was getting picked on day and night so I’m just looking out for him until he gets a little bigger. Surprisingly the storm and tang swim together and like to hang out in the same little cave with no aggression at all- so far.

3C7319B7-7E7F-4C9A-B038-2B2A97C2AE82.jpeg 9C0A2341-1A9A-4FEB-8377-D812A2112F89.jpeg

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What did you end up going with regarding the skimmer?

I have the tunze 9004 and it only fits on the first, aka overflow, chamber on either side. Although the skimmer itself is doing well, I kind of wanted a smaller one that fits in the second chamber - so that I can add some mechanical filtration before the skimmer.

For some reason my 9004's pump intake airline gets clogged with salt (near the pump intake inside the skimmer) every two months-ish, it's kind of a hassle to take it out and clean it that often :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back