NYOS 120 in a 116 Gal System

Reef Monster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I did my best to do a search on the NYOS 120 here and couldn’t find an answer.

I originally purchased the NYOS 120 skimmer for a Reefer 250 but decided to upgrade to a bigger tank. The website says it’s rated for up to 125 gallons but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys. If I need to upgrade to the NYOS 160 I will but if it’s not necessary then I’ll just keep the 120.

Thanks!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clear cut answer to this one. It'll depend very much on how heavily stocked the system is and if there's any other filtration methods happening along with the skimmer. Assuming you have no other filtration i suspect it'll be fine for at least a year to 18 months. If you stock heavily over that time and have nothing else going on then you may want an upgrade. If it's running in conjunction with a fuge or macro reactor it'll probably be fine for the long haul IMO.

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 75 DT with 20gallon sump, running a Nyos 120 for a little over 6 months now... I run it pretty dry, and my tank is what I considered medium stocked (one yellow Tang, pair of clowns, 2 green chromis, diamond goby and a royal gramma). I have to empty the skimmer cup every week, it seems to be doing a good job IMO. Very low nitrates constantly. Also incredibly quiet skimmer for the money (except for the collection cup lid that vibrates loose and rattles, easily fixable with electric tape)

Aquaholics4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Monster, I run a Nyos 120 on a 123 total gallon system. That skimmer is bullet proof...takes a while to break in thou.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 75 DT with 20gallon sump, running a Nyos 120 for a little over 6 months now... I run it pretty dry, and my tank is what I considered medium stocked (one yellow Tang, pair of clowns, 2 green chromis, diamond goby and a royal gramma). I have to empty the skimmer cup every week, it seems to be doing a good job IMO. Very low nitrates constantly. Also incredibly quiet skimmer for the money (except for the collection cup lid that vibrates loose and rattles, easily fixable with electric tape)

Try cutting a strip of airline tubing down the middle the long way and placing on top of the cup where the lids sits like this. You'll never hear it vibrate again.

IMG_5398.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back