Nyos 160 skimmer micro bubbles after broken in

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got micro bubbles coming out the bottom, backside of the skimmer. The strange thing is this is not a new skimmer, I just restarted my Reefer 250, and had this thing dialed in perfectly. The tank got cycled, I added fish/livestock, and everything was going great. I did a 12g waterchange yesterday (first real one since the cycle, never did a 50% change or anything). Then within 12 hours after the waterchange (maybe less), I notice the microbubbles. After an hour of tinkering with every combination possible (water/air/height) I am ready to throw it through the window. So it's unplugged for now. Any advice here? Extremely frustrating.

If I get it the bubbles to stop, the skimmer is overflowing like crazy. If I get the frothy bubbles dialed in well, the microbubbles are everywhere. Should I just let the microbubbles stay until they finally 'break-in' and go away, or what?

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, my Nyos 120 took maybe 10 days until it wasn’t sending out micro-bubbles. After a couple months I couldn’t get it to stop overflowing. I finally got fed up and lowered the water level inside to get it to work. Its only sitting in 4” of water on top of a marine pure block. Its been there for about 6mths and has been getting a dark skim since. But its a bit strange that its in such a lower water hight.

Some days I think about getting a skimmer with a controllable pump after dealing with this one, which wasn’t cheap!

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s odd. I thought micro bubbles was normal for a slimmer. I just bought a tunze slimmer and mine supposedly to instructions, produce micro bubbles

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, mine are coming out of the back of skimmer, and into the display tank. The only thing I know to do next is to raise the skimmer like 4" on a stand to lower the level as Lizbeli mentioned. It just seems odd since I've had the skimmer for 3 years and that's not been necessary.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My has done this when I've added (additives) something to the tank or even changed the socks out in the sump. Takes a cpl days to stop.

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My has done this when I've added (additives) something to the tank or even changed the socks out in the sump. Takes a cpl days to stop.

Maybe I'll wait it out a few days without running the skimmer. The changes I made were 12g WC, and rinsed out the socks also. Why do yall think the clean socks could impact it? I didn't bleach them or any chemicals.

Naboria79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap, I just changed to 2 new socks on my sump and my skimmer went crazy overflowing. I changed back to old clean socks to see if it stop just waiting it out.

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I had the skimmer boosted up about 4" to keep from overflowing and also set right for no microbubbles. I added some sponges to catch the microbubbles also. Today I got home and noticed the skimmer level was way down, so I took out the platform. It's like everything is back to normal. So maybe it was the WC + new socks after all. The tank is barely a month old so yeah...

Back