Nyos 160 skimmer not starting

OP
minus9

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Have you tried giving it a good cleaning? I've found that keeping the entire air intake pathway clean is paramount for the startup to occur after a shutdown. Blockages of any type will cause this problem to reoccur.
I clean mine regularly, but it only fixed it temporarily. I have mine up for sale now and since bought a used Deltec, which is awesome. I loved my Nyos, it did an amazing job, but this issue is a deal breaker for me, especially with the money that I spent. I've read where others bought a replacement pump (I believe it's stronger) that resolved the problem.
The other big issue is with this skimmer is the amount of parts that need to be cleaned unassembled and reassembled each time you clean it.
I did reach out to Ecotech and their support team told me to clean the skimmer and that I shouldn't turn off my skimmer.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
I bought a Nyos 160 because it was meant to be soooo quiet, it's not that quiet, 3 months in and I find this issue of not starting after feeds, and it's not even a new issue, they've known about it for years looking at when this thread started,
If the above post is correct (and I believe it is) and Nyos support recommends NOT shutting off the skimmer during feeds then they must have never run a reef tank,

Nyos do you know what happens when you shut down the main pump, and don't shut down the skimmer? Even the most newbie in this hobby will tell you, but I'll tell you, the crap you've collected in the last few days is now back in your tank water due to skimmer overflow, if this skimmer was designed to never being off it should say so in big letters in the description as this commonly done when using a controller.

OP
minus9

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I bought a Nyos 160 because it was meant to be soooo quiet, it's not that quiet, 3 months in and I find this issue of not starting after feeds, and it's not even a new issue, they've known about it for years looking at when this thread started,
If the above post is correct (and I believe it is) and Nyos support recommends NOT shutting off the skimmer during feeds then they must have never run a reef tank,

Nyos do you know what happens when you shut down the main pump, and don't shut down the skimmer? Even the most newbie in this hobby will tell you, but I'll tell you, the crap you've collected in the last few days is now back in your tank water due to skimmer overflow, if this skimmer was designed to never being off it should say so in big letters in the description as this commonly done when using a controller.
Yeah, it really stinks that there’s no real work around for this issue. Look for a used Deltec or simply buy a new one. I feel your pain.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah, it really stinks that there’s no real work around for this issue. Look for a used Deltec or simply buy a new one. I feel your pain.
I really bought this skimmer for its purported low noise properties which imo are overstated - going back to my octopus beast this week - I cant even sell this to anyone without knowing their setup...

Schweezy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this was already covered... I found that the impeller shaft on my skimmer pump broke in a weird place that wasn't easily noticed. Make sure you check this.

How important is sand sifting or sand stirring livestock to your reef tank?

• Very important

Votes: 258 45.3%
  • Somewhat important

Votes: 180 31.6%
  • Not important

Votes: 75 13.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 50 8.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.2%
Coral-vault.com