Nyos Quantum pump not working. HELP!!

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Need some help trying to figure out what wrong with my Nyos skimmer. I had it off for a few days. Moved it to another location so i could add my new algae scrubber. When i powered it on, the pump doesnt seem to be pulling any water in and the propeller is moving funny. I already cleaned out the pump and propeller. There was nothing stuck to it. I attached a video. I already contacted ecotech but they need more video and info which i will do when i get home from work. Thought i would post here to get any insight first. If anyone knows what the issue is, please help. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220719_203243.mp4
    11.4 MB

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes on occasion my Nyos Quantum will get "stuck" (vapor lock), so I lift it up until the water drains out and it spurts white foamy water - indicating it's working again (then lower back into the sump). If that doesn't work, I would take it out, disassemble and try running just the pump and the impeller removed from the skimmer. Maybe something got wedged into the impeller assembly, so probably wouldn't hurt to look in there with a flashlight and check the ceramic bearing at the back.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar issues with my Quantum 220 as well. Do a search on "Nyos Skimmer starting problem" and you will find many reefers had the same problem. Some said that it will restart if you blow into the air intake line.
Fortunately mine restarted and I haven't shut it off since.
I got mine as a gift and couldn't provide proof of purchase so i had to pay $102 for a new motorblock. Ordered in March and finally received it couple days ago
I will try to replace the motorblock this weekend and see if the problem goes away. I am dosing Red Sea Reef Energy and don't think it is good that I don't turn the skimmer off for couple hours after dosing.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i will try the vapor lock issue. I already took the pump out and check inside to see if anything was lodged. It was clean.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar issues with my Quantum 220 as well. Do a search on "Nyos Skimmer starting problem" and you will find many reefers had the same problem. Some said that it will restart if you blow into the air intake line.
Fortunately mine restarted and I haven't shut it off since.
I got mine as a gift and couldn't provide proof of purchase so i had to pay $102 for a new motorblock. Ordered in March and finally received it couple days ago
I will try to replace the motorblock this weekend and see if the problem goes away. I am dosing Red Sea Reef Energy and don't think it is good that I don't turn the skimmer off for couple hours after dosing.
Yea ecotech said there might be something with the air intake. I will try this when i get home too. Thanks

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar problem, pump stop working after power disconnected.
You can make it to come back on by connect vacuum hose to silencer and blow it with your mouth

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i will try the vapor lock issue. I already took the pump out and check inside to see if anything was lodged. It was clean.
I find the cleaner my Quantum 160 is - the more "flaky" when stopping and starting it. We used to have to lift/submerge it every time it went off/on to get it running properly, but I spent some time fine-tuning the water and air levels and it's been running flawlessly since. I find once it accumulates some grime in the neck that also seems to help.

In terms of the air intake, check the black screw - sometimes this accumulates salt creep and clogs up as well (I try to leave mine with a 1/16" gap).

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ecotech said there might be something with the air intake. I will try this when i get home too. Thanks
I took my NYOS Skimmer apart many many times and definitely nothing was clogging or prevent the motor from turning.
I believe there might be design flaws or manufacturering defect witht the motor which causing the problem.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Assure port from muffler not clogged and no debris within the channel for impeller

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i got it working last night. But im still getting a bunch of bubbles out into my sump. Its skimming fine now just bubbles leaving the skimmer all over the sump

Attachments

• 16584328485578849479731618704045.jpg
    16584328485578849479731618704045.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 36

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i got it working last night. But im still getting a bunch of bubbles out into my sump. Its skimming fine now just bubbles leaving the skimmer all over the sump
Glad you got it to work!
I am guessing it will need to be broken in again since you cleaned it too well?
I would just let it runs for awhile and dial it in again.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i think letting it run for 12hrs would of broken it in. But i guess not. Ill wait till tomorrow and see what happens

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back