Nyos Torq media reactor - disappointing.

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Been trying to make this media reactor work over the last few weeks and it’s really got a lot of flaws.

Firstly the sponge in the top is really poorly designed. It allows the media to escape.

Secondly the way the removable chamber is designed allows the media to escape the bottom too.

Lastly the sponges block far too easily and allows the whole stage that holds the media to rise up.

Considering the cost, it’s really no better than a traditional hang on the side reactor.

Lots of modifications needed to make it work.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

3B6B34B7-B812-44F9-9D21-E5158C9B5FDF.jpeg 6A88CFAD-DC3D-4C18-878A-64E912A2E13F.jpeg

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dealt with this reactor for 9 month and the amount of headaches are not worth it.
Last week was the pinnacle of the problems this reactor gave me and now I'm seriously thinking about suing Nyos for the mess 25 gallons of seawater made to my floor and house.
Horrible design. Not only the sponges but the flow, the lid, the built.
Media escaping the reactor.
Difficult to maintain and refill, especially when using 2 medias.
Water splashing all over when the lid gets loose when it should stay in place.

PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS. Unless until they release a new updated version.

And don't get me wrong. I have the Nyos Quantum 220 skimmer working since October 2018 and I love it.

I'm in the market to get a new reactor for my RedSea XXL625 in case you have suggestions.

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Been trying to make this media reactor work over the last few weeks and it’s really got a lot of flaws.

Firstly the sponge in the top is really poorly designed. It allows the media to escape.

Secondly the way the removable chamber is designed allows the media to escape the bottom too.

Lastly the sponges block far too easily and allows the whole stage that holds the media to rise up.

Considering the cost, it’s really no better than a traditional hang on the side reactor.

Lots of modifications needed to make it work.
"Firstly the sponge in the top is really poorly designed. It allows the media to escape." - This is an easy fix. Just place some filter floss into the top in the gaps. Secondly, open the water flow very slowly at first. Don't 'blast' the water through the media.
"Secondly the way the removable chamber is designed allows the media to escape the bottom too." - Yep, this is a problem. The bottom of the unit falls off very easily. I fixed it by requesting a new 'O' ring from NYOS, which they supplied free of charge.
"Lastly the sponges block far too easily and allows the whole stage that holds the media to rise up." - Totally agree with this. It's always at this point that I know that the media needs replacing !

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back