Nyos users help me.

Notsolostfish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2014
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
801
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is 10 days old. And the tank is 5 weeks old. I tried to set the skimmate under the neck. But i cant get dry skim is that normal?
 

Attachments

  • 20221002_073628.mp4
    19.3 MB
Looks like you need to dial it down until it skims your tank down; then dial it back up to get it where you want it. You can not just assume that tuning it to the neck will work for all tanks. You need to feel it out over time to figure out where you need to be.
 
It looks like your skimmer is doing just fine but it doesn't look like your tank has too much stuffs for it to skim.
You could dial it back bit or let it be and skim a bit wet.
 
It looks like your skimmer is doing just fine but it doesn't look like your tank has too much stuffs for it to skim.
You could dial it back bit or let it be and skim a bit wet.
When u say dial it back a bit what should i do exactly?
 
When u say dial it back a bit what should i do exactly?
Either more air intake (by slowly opening the air valve) or let more water out (by slowly opening the water outlet valve)
I usually keep the air valve fully open and tune with the water outlet valve.
 
Either more air intake (by slowly opening the air valve) or let more water out (by slowly opening the water outlet valve)
I usually keep the air valve fully open and tune with the water outlet valve.
I have the mini screw that i have 1/4 open. And i have the open and close valve. Do i use the open and close valve?
 
Open the mini screw (air valve all the way). I like to have as much air mixing as possible as I am running CO2 scrubber (I would do same if it wasn't for CO2 scrubber, as I want as much fresh air as possible).
The water level (bubbles) should lower. Then use the larger "open-close" (fine water tuning) to dial it back in. Since you are only 1/4 open on air, the water level might drop. I would go really slow with the adjustment (i.e. make small adjustment and wait awhile until make another adjustment).
 

Attachments

  • 20221002_165850.jpg
    20221002_165850.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 49
Open the mini screw (air valve all the way). I like to have as much air mixing as possible as I am running CO2 scrubber (I would do same if it wasn't for CO2 scrubber, as I want as much fresh air as possible).
The water level (bubbles) should lower. Then use the larger "open-close" (fine water tuning) to dial it back in. Since you are only 1/4 open on air, the water level might drop. I would go really slow with the adjustment (i.e. make small adjustment and wait awhile until make another adjustment).
If i leave it like that what would happen?
 
If i leave it like that what would happen?
Nothing, you just get less air mixture! Like I said, I like to have as much fresh air as possible to the skimmer. I also found that is easier to start tuning the skimmer with everything wide open.
Also, make sure you do not move this section since it is more of coarse adjustment for water outlet.

quantum_120_2.jpg.35d2e631f8de309028157870167ab90c.jpg
 
Nothing, you just get less air mixture! Like I said, I like to have as much fresh air as possible to the skimmer.
Also, make sure you do not move this section since it is more of coarse adjustment for water outlet.

quantum_120_2.jpg.35d2e631f8de309028157870167ab90c.jpg
Wait what? Are you saying that section shouldnt be moved? When i do adjustement that thing falls sometimes man and i just have to put it back its annoying.
 
Wait what? Are you saying that section shouldnt be moved? When i do adjustement that thing falls sometimes man and i just have to put it back its annoying.
Exactly! Make sure you make notice of where it is and put it back exactly the same place.
Not sure why it kept falling off? It should be some waht secure in place.
Maybe that is your problem with tuning the skimmer
 
Exactly! Make sure you make notice of where it is and put it back exactly the same place.
Not sure why it kept falling off? It should be some waht secure in place.
Maybe that is your problem with tuning the skimmer
Okay fixed that. Now i turned the open and close valve. I opened it a twist. And thats where we at. Its not going up all the way up like it used to with thr wet skim normal?
 

Attachments

  • 20221002_203604.mp4
    23.5 MB
That looks pretty good! I would let it sit for at least 45 minutes or so. Most likely you will have to close it a bit to get back up! I believe the ideal skimming is having the larger bubbles right in the clear section of the cup
 

Attachments

  • quantum_120_2.jpg.35d2e631f8de309028157870167ab90c.jpg
    quantum_120_2.jpg.35d2e631f8de309028157870167ab90c.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 30
Where I'm concerned, as long as the foam is above the neck ring seal and skimmate is captured anywhere in the collection cup (even if it's in the barrel rather than perkolating over the top) where it can be easily removed for cleaning rather than depositing the crud in the body of the skimmer, you're going in the right direction.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new