Obnoxious overgrowth: What is the toughest algae to get rid of?

What is the toughest algae to get rid of?

• Bryopsis

Votes: 87 19.0%
  • Bubble algae

Votes: 108 23.6%
  • Caulerpa

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Cyanobacteria

Votes: 60 13.1%
  • Green Hair algae

Votes: 135 29.5%
  • Red turf algae

Votes: 24 5.2%
  • Other

Votes: 38 8.3%

• Total voters

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to get rid of it?
Time. I let time do its thing as nothing I added would have a good enough effect. I’m sure I could’ve sped it up with a UV sterilizer and possibly NoPox

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weaker photosynthesizing algae, which are any of the brown dusty types like diatoms or dino's, go first because they don't pull nutrients out of the water very well because they can't anchor strongly, and thus they can't make use of strong water current (much less, turbulent air/water interfaces) which remove the boundary layer barrier of water insulating the algae. Also they only form on surfaces, which stops flow from going through them. So they are weak filters and need lots of nutrients; when nutrients in the water first start to drop, these algae can't survive.

Next comes GHA (green hair algae), which has more of a translucent "antenna" to catch flow and light; it can extract nutrients from the water longer, and anchor in high flow and turbulent air/water interfaces better (which removes the boundary layer barrier of water insulating the algae), and thus survive by extracting nutrients even when nutrients are barely available. This is of coarse, until GHA is eaten by fish! And since a lot of GHA attaches to rock, as long as phosphate is flowing out of the rock, there will be GHA on it.

Next come the tough ones that have stronger strategies to get nutrients:

Bubble algae concentrates very low levels of nutrients that are outside the bubble, into to high levels of nutrients inside the bubble. Even if nutrients measure "zero" outside the bubble, the bubble will have some nutrients stored inside it, and will take an abnormally long time to deplete these internal nutrients. But the bubble will eventually go away, if nutrients are kept low enough in the water.

Bryopsis, which uses "roots" to extract nutrients deep in rock. Even when nutrients in water measure "zero", bryopsis can survive from nutrients in the rock. So only after depleting the nutrients in the water for a long time, do you then deplete enough nutrients in the rocks, to kill bryopsis. But bryopsis too will go eventually, if nutrients are kept low in the water. If there is phosphate coming out of the rock, the situation can be really confusing because both the bryopsis and GHA can appear to be increasing, even though you have been testing "zero" nutrients for weeks!

And lastly, there is cyano, which does not care about any of this; cyano can "feed" on food particles, so your clean up crew should be increased to consume and stir up all the food particles on the substrate; water flow along the substrate can be increased too, to help with this. This will also stir up the food particles for the corals to eat!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did Cyanobacteria become an algae?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulurpa. Specifically, C. Racemosa.

If you've ever had Caulurpa go sexual in your tank, you're going to side with me on this one. The rest can be a pain, no doubt, but there's really no comparison.

I once used 180lbs of very expensive, wet shipped Marshall Islands live rock to fill a hole in my back yard. Yeah. That's what it takes to get rid of Caulurpa when it takes over an aquarium.
I love my Racemosa. Just have to keep an eye on it and trim it back when it starts looking randy.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost this GHA battle.

IMG_3393.JPG

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae, I battled it for a few years in my old tank. It took over my refugium... then ended up in the display. I shut down the fuge... bought a bunch of emerald crabs, and resorted to an algicide (vibrant). This eventually worked and no bubble algae now in years.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a weird planktonic desmid algae for years. I think it emerged first in a brackish tank, but then found a way to get into and subsequently overrun every tank I ran for like four years. A MASSIVE nuisance. Would turn the the water pea green whether in freshwater, marine, or whatever. Even if I tried to keep some pods or other odd thing in mason jars in the window, it would find a way to invade those (kind of useful for that though). Only after heavy UV sterilization and countless extended blackouts, I finally wiped it out a few months ago. That stuff was evil!

David Gaskins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out if Lobophora (reddish encrusting corraline algae) is an issue in my tank. It grows at an accelerated rate compared to say purple corraline (glass/live rock/frag plugs).

While I have not been able to scientifically prove it, in areas where it comes across stony corals, it seems to prevent the further encrusting (only branching actions) and for some ( like Tyree Pink Lemonade), seems to irritate and prevent any further growth or PE (still maintains color). It's as if it out-competes with stony corals for space by Allelopathic warfare.

For reference, I also have a large quantity of stony colonies that do not seem to be affected by any nearby Lobophora, so this affect is very specific to particular species of stony corals.

I did some research and found several published report that seems to reinforce my observations here at:

https://www.int-res.com/articles/meps2007/342/m342p139.pdf

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep18637

Any thoughts? I was thinking of fragging some of the suspect corals above the base tissue and re-glueing to new plugs to see if the health/growth of corals changed.

Sincerely,

David

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had last year hair algae so bad that it killed most of my corals and I almost quit the hobby. It lasted for a very long time and it was horrible to look at the aquarium.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a weird type of red algae that grows in tufts that peel off pretty easily, however nothing eats it and it regrows incredibly quickly. Definitely not cyano, but is definitely obnoxious.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. The worst algae is neomeris annulata. I had to tear down my entire tank and sterilize everything. Quarantine fish and corals to make sure they were free of it. Then basically start over.
Funnily I had that spring up in one of my reefs, and it never showed again. Either my weird red tufts of algae did it in, or my foxface/longhorn cowfish. Maybe some work done by urchins as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back