Obnoxious overgrowth: What is the toughest algae to get rid of?

What is the toughest algae to get rid of?

• Bryopsis

Votes: 87 19.0%
  • Bubble algae

Votes: 108 23.6%
  • Caulerpa

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Cyanobacteria

Votes: 60 13.1%
  • Green Hair algae

Votes: 135 29.5%
  • Red turf algae

Votes: 24 5.2%
  • Other

Votes: 38 8.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Obnoxious overgrowth: What is the toughest algae to get rid of?

Oh no! The tank has been overrun with algae! It happens. Life gets in the way and we take our eye of the tank or maybe the algae sneaks up on us, but either way when there is algae it can often be dealt with by getting the water parameters in line, feeding a little less, dialing in the dosing, checking the lighting and flow, and manually removing as much as the algae as possible. Unfortunately, sometimes algae is persistent and hard to eliminate (or at least significantly reduce). What have you found to be the toughest algae to get rid of in your tank? Please tell us about your experience with stubborn and aggravating algae invasions.

Pro Tip: When fighting red turf algae, one approach is that if you can remove the affected rock then pull the rock from the tank and spray the red turf algae with a household mixture of hydrogen peroxide and let sit for a minute or two before rinsing and returning to the tank. Often the red turf algae will change colors to a brighter red before it disappears in a day or two.

Thunder_reef_Caulerpa.jpeg

Photo by @Thunder_reef

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png
“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I've had them all more than once. GHA has won the survival of the fittest and is the only one to survive.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fluconazole makes bryopsis a non-issue, and is also effective against GHA if you can handle two weeks without your skimmer.

@pennied totally agree, I believe my ‘gha’ outbreak was lyngbya and it was absolutely oppressive until i did a risky double dose of flux. i may have misidentified it tho because I haven’t seen much evidence online that flux is effective against lyngbya. any thoughts?

just be careful if you have acros, not sure if flux was the cause but i started seeing STN on my acros around the two week mark.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
side effect of reefer-driven collapse of Vibrant

valonia wins now

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them all and fortunately defeated them. Some so long ago that I don’t remember how. Tip: If you have a particular rock in your tank that develops issues just replace it before it spreads.

phillipsjo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair algae is only one I can see that I am fighting in a 5 month old tank. Does anyone else have 'algae eating' fish and invertebrates that seem to be spoiled and only eat the food given to them and not the algae? Should I stop feeding for a couple of days to see what happens?

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair algae is only one I can see that I am fighting in a 5 month old tank. Does anyone else have 'algae eating' fish and invertebrates that seem to be spoiled and only eat the food given to them and not the algae? Should I stop feeding for a couple of days to see what happens?
Yes! They also might not eat the specific algae you have, or might only like to eat it when it’s short.

my algae eaters seem to only be useful for preventing future outbreaks of algae, not in stopping active outbreaks. but they’re cute so they get to stay. :D

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA for me. I have it in my 180g. I was doing some manual removal but every time I did I was pulling micro brittle stars and pods out so I stopped. Many people would be freaking out but to me it makes the tank look more natural as opposed to looking like a sterile box of water. It's a mixed reef with nems, lps, softies, and lps and the GHA is there and quite a bit but not over running everything.
I do have 2 smaller tanks that I try to keep algae free so I'm not a total weirdo :zany-face:

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
side effect of reefer-driven collapse of Vibrant

valonia wins now
I came here to say that Bubble Algae was a no brainer in my 90 gallon work tank with Vibrant...

I didn't have any SPS or fancy corals and everybody seemed to do fine. Now Vibrant is completely taboo and suspicious for anybody to put it in the tank.

I voted GHA but I seem to have a handle on it now.

I actually had some wirey algae (forget the name) not too long ago. It wasn't Bryopsis but I used some fluconozle after pulling out as much as I could by hand and it hasn't grown back. Doing a water change every week.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised GHA is the most voted. IMO, that’s the easiest algae to beat!

I never had bryopsis, but that seems like the hardest one. Cyano can be tricky too.

phillipsjo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised GHA is the most voted. IMO, that’s the easiest algae to beat!

I never had bryopsis, but that seems like the hardest one. Cyano can be tricky too.
Can you give some tips on how to control/beat GHA that has worked for you in the past? Plz&TY

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back