Ocean drifters: Are you interested in ever keeping a Jellyfish?

Are you interested in ever keeping a Jellyfish?

• I have successfully kept jellyfish.

Votes: 21 6.2%
  • I have unsuccessfully attempted to keep jellyfish.

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I am interested in keeping jellyfish but have not kept them yet.

Votes: 143 42.4%
  • I am not interested in keeping jellyfish.

Votes: 164 48.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my *obsession* with saltwater when I found someone selling a jellyfish tank on FB marketplace for $40. I knew nothing!
But happen to live outside of Charlotte where Jellyfish Warehouse is, so I didn't have to have them shipped.
Long story short, I was 3 hours north of home, the tank was 2 hours south of home.
Headed home I bypassed home to get the tank. (My husband thought I was nuts, but was in separate vehicle)

Anyway, I set it up, got my moon jellies, and keep them alive for 9 months. But it was a lot of work.
I live in Charlotte and didn't know about the Jellyfish Warehouse...now I'm in trouble.

dodojojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who sells jelly fish? Never found a vendor that did
Jellyfish Warehouse
Jellyfish Art
Sunset Marine Labs
Pet Jellyfish USA

Just to name a few! Travis at the Jellyfish Warehouse is a friend of mine, I highly recommend him :)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my GF and i have individually wanted jellyfish tanks before meeting each other, and now after participating/visiting this years RAPNY this past Sunday, we both want an office jellyfish tank. i think they are cool, but i don't see either one of us actually pulling the trigger and getting a jellyfish tank. they have a short life span, so its not worth it long term for me.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to try it but as many originally stated the cost of a unique tank setup, food, and short life span makes it hard to justify.

If that's the case I might as well try cuttlefish which are just as short lived and require a continuous breeding program to maintain it.

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love watching them at a public aquarium but would never consider for a home aquarium. There are too many other sea life I find interesting, not to mention the difficulty and limitations in keeping them. They’re very hypnotic to look at, though.

Sandy MH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my luck the poor thing would turn into a pancake on the return slats... even with all the engineered safety features
Ocean drifters: Are you interested in ever keeping a Jellyfish?

You may have seen jellyfish tanks at public aquariums, and you may have even seen jellyfish tanks at reef shows, but have you ever seriously thought about keeping jellyfish yourself? The pulsing and soothing movements make jellyfish tanks mesmerizing to watch and the slowly changing colored lights that are included with many jellyfish tanks only add to the experience. Keeping jellyfish is not a decision to be taken lightly and their care is different than other fish and corals, so you can’t just throw them into your reef. The extra commitment starts with learning their care and setting up a tank specifically designed for them. Yes, it may be a lot of extra work, but still, have you thought about it? Are you interested in ever keeping a jellyfish?

Pro Tip: Specialized care, specialized tanks, and specialized food as well as specific water parameters, flow, lighting, and acclimation procedures are all important for keeping jellyfish. Although most jellyfish are kept in species-specific tanks, other species may be added with careful consideration.

MNFish_Jellyfish.gif

Image by @MNFish

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Sandy MH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We currently have four in a three gallon tank. They are beautiful, but they are tough. We have lost and replaced many ince last September. It's hard to find viable brine shrimp eggs -- brine shrimp eggs are plentiful, but the consistency varies. And our moon jellies need GOOD baby brine. It is soooo cool to see those four (per jelly) transpaent compartment tummies full of orange brine when they've had a good feed!

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone else is saying, the upkeep and the extra short lifespan have always been turnoffs for me. If I were to ever keep jellies, it would be moons. Apparently they live the longest (up to 5 years if well kept).

Does anyone know if it's possible to preserve a jellyfish's full life cycle in a tank (polyp -> medusa)? If so then there may be a way to keep a species that divides itself into polyps in a repeated loop.

dodojojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone else is saying, the upkeep and the extra short lifespan have always been turnoffs for me. If I were to ever keep jellies, it would be moons. Apparently they live the longest (up to 5 years if well kept).

Does anyone know if it's possible to preserve a jellyfish's full life cycle in a tank (polyp -> medusa)? If so then there may be a way to keep a species that divides itself into polyps in a repeated loop.
Not in a single tank necessarily but propagating your own jellies, sure! The polyps tend to be irritating to the Medusa and contribute to a faster degeneration but polyps in your sump are fine. Aurelia and Cassiopeia are usually the easiest to culture.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully kept Moon Jellies (Aurelia), Dwarf Lion's Mane Jellies (C. versicolor), and Aussie Spotted Jellies (P. punctata). All species were captive bred and lived about a year and a month. Next I did try and keep a group of Captive Bred Comb Jellies (Mnemiopsis leidyi), and they did well for a few months, but we had a really nasty heat wave in Washington (it peaked to 112F over 2 days) and sadly they didn't make it through that, too much stress on them. Would love to try them again soon though!
All were from Travis at the Jellyfish Warehouse, can't recommend him enough.

Jellyfish Warehouse
Jellyfish Art
Sunset Marine Labs
Pet Jellyfish USA

Just to name a few! Travis at the Jellyfish Warehouse is a friend of mine, I highly recommend him :)
Travis also carries the widest selection of Jellies / Ctenophores I've seen as well! The other companies usually sell just Moon Jellies, but Travis has around 20 give or take that depend on what he's culturing at the time of year but he's got the greatest and healthiest selction.

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in a single tank necessarily but propagating your own jellies, sure! The polyps tend to be irritating to the Medusa and contribute to a faster degeneration but polyps in your sump are fine. Aurelia and Cassiopeia are usually the easiest to culture.
Wow! Can you go into some detail? How do you go about collecting polyps and growing them in the sump? What's the upkeep like? If you can propagate moons then it sounds like the problem with their short lifespans is pretty much solved - you at least have a renewable supply of clones.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had three upside down jellyfish, collected from local waters. Wasn't sure what they needed. Fed them blended Shrimp, Live and Frozen Brine. Tank was near a window, for sunlight. Two died, and one day I look in the tank, and I had two more small ones. Undergravel Filter with a Power head. They were boring, I eventually sold the tank, with Jellies included.

dodojojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Can you go into some detail? How do you go about collecting polyps and growing them in the sump? What's the upkeep like? If you can propagate moons then it sounds like the problem with their short lifespans is pretty much solved - you at least have a renewable supply of clones.
With moons and cassies, honestly its just a waiting game. If your jellies are happy and healthy, polyps will start to settle in your tank if they are not cleaned away. Upkeep is relatively simple as well for those species, just feeds and maintaining water quality. There is a ton more that goes into prompting them to strobilate. The jelly lifecycle is a ton of fun to learn and then watch in real time.

sebasmartinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going crazy with my WB20, I decided to have a cylinder 5 from Jellyfish Art, and so far so good, almost a year with it, my jellyfish, some problems (like anything that is alive LOL) but customer service there is exceptional and helped me a lot along the process.

endosymbiont

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cassiopea spp. can readily be kept in aquaria, since they're largely benthic. Heck, they can be kept in a bowl on a window :). We regularly rear them from polyps in the lab. I've had some medusae for more than 2 years. They need low flow, and do best in high light. Julian Sprung has kept them in mangrove refugia, iirc.

Happy to trade some Cassiopea xamachana (medusae or polyps) for an acro frags or bubble tip anemone clone :)

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love jellyfish, I find their tanks so incredibly hypnotic, and something that I can stare at for hours and hours and hours when I do go to the aquarium, so I wouldn't completely write them off. Though they seem very tricky to keep, I'm very new to reef keeping, have been too sick to really care for a normal reef the way I would like, and I have a discount at the local aquarium that has them; so I don't plan on getting one. At least not anytime in the planned future.

I guess I do plan on in the distant future getting an anemone, which I did learn from this thread was similar to jellyfish that I didn't know before.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back