Ocean revive,think bout going back to t5

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are LEDs really toxic? I've got a little project going on concerning PUR. Will post in its own thread when I've got enough to present.

OP
OP
Q

qsam021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 bulbs t5 was so much easier now led I find myself playing around with the setting to much lol

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 bulbs t5 was so much easier now led I find myself playing around with the setting to much lol
that's the problem, halides/t5 are not configurable and this is why people get into trouble with leds because they fidget with the settings. Id suggest set it and forget it, your corals will appreciate it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about calls for 'Turn up the blues" or "turn down the whites" ? Kinda shoots the set it & forget it method. I'm with QS. Too many things to not get right. I can remember when Led was still considered new untested technology. My tanks worked just fine with MH . Sure there were draw backs but still. All the unnecessary technology & complication. Just my Op.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about calls for 'Turn up the blues" or "turn down the whites" ? Kinda shoots the set it & forget it method. I'm with QS. Too many things to not get right. I can remember when Led was still considered new untested technology. My tanks worked just fine with MH . Sure there were draw backs but still. All the necessary technology. Just my Op.
not sure what you are asking, but MH/LED's are set it and forget it lights there is no adjusting to do on those that is why corals seem to thrive.

think it as this, if you adjust your alk all over the place your corals are not going to be happy either, why stability is key to growth/color/health. I have the ocean revive lights also and run 65 blue 5-10 white (cant remember).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you do not mess with LED all of the time, there is still something that is not right with them if you have the breath and depth of experience to know the difference. Cut spectrum, no real UV/IR and harmful peaks too high in some diodes make it to where the best that you can hope for is 75-80% of what you can get under other lights. Of course, if you have no basis for comparison, then it is hard to know this. This is just my opinion and others will strongly disagree.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2cents, are led's the best lights we can have to a coral reef? Probably not. But they are fun, controllable and can produce a shimmer tough to get elsewhere. I do enjoy being able to have ramp down and ramp up settings controlled to the T on spectrum and intensity. Sure you can do similar but not he same with dimmers and timers on t5. I'll probably always have led's to create what I want to see lightingwise but will they provide the bulk of my lighting requirements? Probably not. Since playing around with combinations I've enjoyed the t5 led combo where the bulk of light is produced by the t5. And the led provides dusk and dawn, moon lighting and a little extra shimmer.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana, any update on this?
Still working on it. I wrote an Excel program to analyze light for PUR, but there are some programs with it. Looks like I'll have to go with Seneye's results (not that I think there is anything wrong with them. I wanted my Excel program to confirm their results, so the issues are on my part.)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are LEDs really toxic? I've got a little project going on concerning PUR. Will post in its own thread when I've got enough to present.
Hummm... Would that be one more reason to avoid LEDs?

;Wideyed

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back