OceanPure synthetic raising ammonia

theguyinasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,
i have had some issues with ammonia for a while now, so i tested my salt with my RO DI water. ( Yes, I have tested the RO DI water.) So i put the OceanPure salt into the tub and mixed it after filling up with water, and 3 hours later the mix had a Ammonia level of 2-3 ppm. i have read very few acounts where people have this problem and it usually is not this severe. It took me all day to narrow down to the salt, has anyone here had this issue? if so is there a way i can use this mix of water?
thanks

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it is the salt but if you think its the cause why don't you change brands.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive not seen salt mix raise Ammonia.
Test kit tested?
Tap water tested?
RO water tested?
TDS tested?
Bad Membrane on RO?
Could still be a number of things. But Im with Mike, get a bag of another brand and see what that comes out to.

OP
OP
T

theguyinasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Madness,
I have tested the tap water, ro DI, and have used several test kits. The kits vary a little but all show traces of ammonia. I have cleaned the plastic tub to make sure that it is not the source. Once I put the salt in and mix the ammonia jumps. I'll get a different brand today, and I'll do another ammonia test before pouring out the water.

I just have not seen this before. I found it very strange.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. I've heard of Nitrates and Phosphates jumpin up on bad batches, but not Ammonia. Please let us know what you come up with so in the future we can advise. Thanks.

OP
OP
T

theguyinasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing madness,
After testing out my container in which I mixed the oceanpure salt, the only conclusion I can gather is that the batch of salt had ammonia in it. After cleaning out the container and testing the water again there was small traces of ammonia.
I then bought another container, while cleaning out the original a few more times to see if it was the plastic effecting the ammonia test. Both containers had no trace.
I can only guess there was some remnants of the last batch that have off a little ammonia.

That being said I highly suggest that oceanpure is not used for a salt source. I have picked up IO and am a lot happier with it. ( it actually dissolves fully, ocean pure did not).

i hope this information helps with for anyone in the future who may have the same issue.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information. Thanks. Glad you got it all figured out. Kinda crazy that the salt mix was doing it though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back