ocellaris dying

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the last few days I have noticed that the "small" ocelaris rests more and more on the sand bottom. I thought it was sick, but suddenly it is swimming as normal with the other fish. always eats when I feed. The only thing I have noticed is that the fish turned black in one batch, which my girlfriend also noticed. see picture.

PS
am dealing with a massive canon outbreak. No3 about 5ppm No4 about 0 salt 1,025 25c alk = 8.9

1000007552.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
in the last few days I have noticed that the "small" ocelaris rests more and more on the sand bottom. I thought it was sick, but suddenly it is swimming as normal with the other fish. always eats when I feed. The only thing I have noticed is that the fish turned black in one batch, which my girlfriend also noticed. see picture.

PS
am dealing with a massive canon outbreak. No3 about 5ppm No4 about 0 salt 1,025 25c alk = 8.9

1000007552.jpg
You have cyano in your tank (pink/purple stuff on dedding) which suggests higher nitrate and phos levl.
As for clown turning dark, It may be a mocha which starts as an orange percula and goes through color phase, even a sex change.
Sitting in corner can be intimidation from bullying or aggression form another fish but assure water quality is good.
If there is anything else, it is hard to see with cyano bacteria film
Please post another pic when the glass is cleaned up

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 0 nitrate and phosphate for a long time, the aquarium was without fish for 3 months due to ich clean out. measured 0 nitrate and phosphate for a long time, started dosing No3 and No4 when cyano came. Possibly cyano is eating it up, it was almost impossible to get no3 and no4 up. I don't see any of the fish chasing the little clownfish. will have another picture taken.

Drew Hitt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with what others have said, as far as the coloring goes. That does not seem abnormal, as there is are many different variations out there. As for the behavior again, I would agree with what’s been stated, probably more intimidated than anything else. Although in my experience as well, clowns tend to find a space in the tank and kind of hang out in that one area that they decide that they like. I would check and ensure water quality, again as was stated. But as far as the behavior goes to me, I wouldn’t say that it’s dying. If it’s eating and swimming fine , it may just need some time to acclimate to the tank environment.

One question though… when you say it rests on the bottom, is it still moving as it’s down there or does it seem like it’s laying on the bottom not moving?

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now it's quite still, but it wiggles up and down a bit. I see that there is a bit of an argument between my 3 chromis. they have lived together now for probably 3 months without problems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
right now it's quite still, but it wiggles up and down a bit. I see that there is a bit of an argument between my 3 chromis. they have lived together now for probably 3 months without problems.
This may be the intimidation I mentioned.
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
Still need clearer pic(s) and how are you testing the water?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back