Octopus and feeder fish.

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

For a few months I have been the happy owner of a very shy Algae Octopus named Squidward. I feed him ghost shrimp and occasionally a peppermint shrimp if I am feeling like spending some cash on him. I usually feed him by hand and he will shoot out of his hide to wrap around my fingers for the tasty treat. My question is, would he eat feeder fish? He is about 5 inches and some change from arm to arm when stretches out. If he doesn't eat it all that is fine, I try to make sure his tank is very clean of leftovers and do regular weekly water changes to control ammonia. What do you think? Do you think he would take to small feeder fish?

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is it? What kind of fish are you thinking? From what I understand they will happily hunt down any fish you add

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is it? What kind of fish are you thinking? From what I understand they will happily hunt down any fish you add
Honestly just one or two inch feeder fish. But that is the thing, he never leaves his rocks. He just waits for me to bring the food to him. Are their any affordable salt water feeders?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly just one or two inch feeder fish. But that is the thing, he never leaves his rocks. He just waits for me to bring the food to him. Are their any affordable salt water feeders?
Freshwater Mollies are good and easy to acclimate to saltwater. Find some small ones or better yet get a few and breed them. Free feeders for life. Damsels used to be affordable saltwater feeders but these days all of the prices have shot up

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No better off going to seafood store and getting fresh shrimp. Cut small pieces a little bigger than pea because he is small and put it on feeder stick to give to him. Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this particular octopus feeds mainly on crustaceans in the wild, but you might try some guppies or small mollies. Common feeder fish like goldfish or rosies are a very bad idea. All of my predators eat ghosties, guppies, and mollies. While I have seen octopus eat from a stick, they are so intelligent, they need the enrichment and stimulation from the hunt. Guppies are a little harder to feed in salt, but some will acclimate just fine and live long enough for him to hunt them down. If you can find appropriate sized mollies, they will live perfectly in salt water.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the tiny hermits if you want live food! If he’s not interested, at least they’ll help keep your tank clean

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this particular octopus feeds mainly on crustaceans in the wild, but you might try some guppies or small mollies. Common feeder fish like goldfish or rosies are a very bad idea. All of my predators eat ghosties, guppies, and mollies. While I have seen octopus eat from a stick, they are so intelligent, they need the enrichment and stimulation from the hunt. Guppies are a little harder to feed in salt, but some will acclimate just fine and live long enough for him to hunt them down. If you can find appropriate sized mollies, they will live perfectly in salt water.
why not goldfish?

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used to have a baitshop down the street who i'd buy minnows from to feed my critters, just make sure they aren't using dangerous medications on the fish

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goldfish are a horrible diet for any creature to eat... they’re full of bad stuff from the way they’re overcrowded when bred and in stores.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not goldfish?
Goldfish don't have the right nutritional balance for saltwater predators. They also are high in thiaminase, which binds I believe B12, which can result in deficiency.
I +1 the idea of getting a couple mollies in a 20 gallon and letting them breed. I started with 5, and I now have oh, 40 or so a few months later.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goldfish don't have the right nutritional balance for saltwater predators. They also are high in thiaminase, which binds I believe B12, which can result in deficiency.
I +1 the idea of getting a couple mollies in a 20 gallon and letting them breed. I started with 5, and I now have oh, 40 or so a few months later.
Thanks! I couldn’t remember exactly what was bad about them. dang lack of proper sleep!

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh, so only give them as snacks not a staple. What about emerald shiners and gizzard shad?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back