octopus envy

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi do you keep these little guys in there own tank or with other inhabitants like fish or in a coral only reef .?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love these! I'd love to have one someday. They definitely require a LOT of research before attempting them. Some of the smartest creatures on the planet!
If one thinks they are some of the smartest creatures on the planet, one prolly shouldn't keep them in aquaria.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi do you keep these little guys in there own tank or with other inhabitants like fish or in a coral only reef .?
In their own tank. They would more than likely eat any fish or invertebrate that is in the same tank as them. Or heck, even eat fish from neighboring tanks if they get the chance to escape.

Not sure about putting corals in an octopus tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If one thinks they are some of the smartest creatures on the planet, one prolly shouldn't keep them in aquaria.
Hi Richard, that's an interesting point. IMO this is dependent on one's ability to provide for the needs of the animal. I personally don't think we should keep any creature that we can't adequately provide for. I've admittedly got a lot to learn about them before I would even consider caring for an octopus. However, I'm not entirely sure if your point was that an octopus shouldn't be kept in aquaria at all or if I'm wrong about them being among the smartest animals on the planet. I'm definitely interested in your perspective on this and grateful that you took the time to address my post.

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Richard, that's an interesting point. IMO this is dependent on one's ability to provide for the needs of the animal. I personally don't think we should keep any creature that we can't adequately provide for. I've admittedly got a lot to learn about them before I would even consider caring for an octopus. However, I'm not entirely sure if your point was that an octopus shouldn't be kept in aquaria at all or if I'm wrong about them being among the smartest animals on the planet. I'm definitely interested in your perspective on this and grateful that you took the time to address my post.
My two cents would be that keeping such a sentient creature in a home aquaria only to have it die a short while later is a bad idea.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Daniel,
I think the idea "I think they are one of the smartest animals on the planet" is incompatible with the idea "I want to keep one in in a box in my living room". And if it isn't it should be. This is one of those weird fine ethical points that I like to poke at, and I am writing an article about it, so feel free to ignore me. :D
They sure do seem smart, but so do pigs.
I think I think that there are very few people that should keep these animals, not on my ethics, but on theirs. No one would keep a dog in a box for its whole life, can it be fair to do that to an octopus?
I don't think I think they are that smart, but they sure seem smart.
EDIT - different species and behaviors will yield different ethical responses, which makes me think it may be mostly anthropomorphism

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an octopus back in the 80's and it left an emotional scar I will probably carry for life.. lol

Having raised pets of all kinds since childhood my cephalopod most certainly left a lasting impression, it's really hard to describe in words but I believe it's from what I perceived as emotions or attempts to communicate that were displayed in its ever changing patterns and colors.

In addition to it's normal use of this ability such as to camouflage itself while sitting on different structures around the tank or exhibiting excitement during feeding it would occasionally come to the glass and frantically pulse a vast variety of colors and crazy patterns seemingly like a child having a "tantrum" or almost as if it were "yelling" at me? I found this hypnotic behavior fascinating but completely unnerving all at the same time.

They are obviously intelligent but to what degree who knows? Mine would hide or retreat to it's den if anyone other than myself would approach the tank but when I entered the room he would typically dart to the front and press his face against the glass seemingly watching my every move.. lol. I'm sure this probably stems from the fact that when he saw me he knew there was a good chance food was coming soon ;)

I would never attempt keeping another, not because it's difficult but I personally believe these creatures should be left alone.. although that was 30 years ago I'm still emotionally effected by that octopus and still to this day I get "goosebumps" just thinking about him.

Pre digital pic's from a crappy old 35mm disposable camera..

2A400F42-CDD8-4436-AED9-C3898FEC888F.png
C5E1F952-B6D7-4A98-B7A3-8B59D892F466.png

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an octopus back in the 80's and it left an emotional scar I will probably carry for life.. lol

Having raised pets of all kinds since childhood my cephalopod most certainly left a lasting impression, it's really hard to describe in words but I believe it's from what I perceived as emotions or attempts to communicate that were displayed in its ever changing patterns and colors.

In addition to it's normal use of this ability such as to camouflage itself while sitting on different structures around the tank or exhibiting excitement during feeding it would occasionally come to the glass and frantically pulse a vast variety of colors and crazy patterns seemingly like a child having a "tantrum" or almost as if it were "yelling" at me? I found this hypnotic behavior fascinating but completely unnerving all at the same time.

They are obviously intelligent but to what degree who knows? Mine would hide or retreat to it's den if anyone other than myself would approach the tank but when I entered the room he would typically dart to the front and press his face against the glass seemingly watching my every move.. lol. I'm sure this probably stems from the fact that when he saw me he knew there was a good chance food was coming soon ;)

I would never attempt keeping another, not because it's difficult but I personally believe these creatures should be left alone.. although that was 30 years ago I'm still emotionally effected by that octopus and still to this day I get "goosebumps" just thinking about him.

Pre digital pic's from a crappy old 35mm disposable camera..

2A400F42-CDD8-4436-AED9-C3898FEC888F.png
C5E1F952-B6D7-4A98-B7A3-8B59D892F466.png

This, I also would love one as well as cuttle fish, they are short lived "pets" imo and should be left in the oceans.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are interested, I talk about this stuff in these two videos

Part three should be available next week and four the week after. :D

Thanks for sharing Richard, can't wait for part three and four :)

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart creatures don’t typically thrive in solitary confinement. Cephalopods are my favorite, as much as I love em I’d just feel bad keeping one captive.

An animal known as an escape artist for brilliantly and creatively escaping tanks, isn’t that a sign they maybe they don’t wanna spend their life in a tank? I dunno.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back