Octopus In A Reef Tank?

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!
Quick question so my LFS got a dwarf octopus in that I'm thinking of purchasing and adding to my reef tank. Most websites I've read on say, octopus are considered "non reef safe".
Which I'd mainly assume has to do with other fish and invertebrates.
So my tank is very minimalistic, I have some large pukani rocks with only SPS corals. No other fish or invertebrates are in this tank.
Now I do understand octopus do create a large bioload, but my filtration is for sure would be good + I run carbon.
I've reasearched over the past few weeks about octopus and cephalopods, and I know what their requirements are for the home aquarium, I know they have a short lifespan also.

But the main question here is will the octopus be ok with SPS corals (acroporas).

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not and I have kept both although separately.

Octopi are mostly nocturnal, you're not going to see much of the animal in an sps tank.

It will eat all your snails and hermits.

There can be absolutely no way for the Octopus to move out of the tank, no over flows, not even the tiniest of hole.

Keeping Octopi is more like keeping a cat it not like having a fish at all.

It's going to crawl all over your acropora, in a large tank that may not be an issue.

If you want an Octopi built a designated system for one.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but it may be OK to attempt keep one but it's far from optimal.

OP
OP
30reef

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not and I have kept both although separately.

Octopi are mostly nocturnal, you're not going to see much of the animal in an sps tank.

It will eat all your snails and hermits.

There can be absolutely no way for the Octopus to move out of the tank, no over flows, not even the tiniest of hole.

Keeping Octopi is more like keeping a cat it not like having a fish at all.

It's going to crawl all over your acropora, in a large tank that may not be an issue.

If you want an Octopi built a designated system for one.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but it may be OK to attempt keep one but it's far from optimal.

I completely understand where you are coming from.
  • I have took the precautions of my tank making sure it was absolutely sealed. I've even weighed down my top.
  • At the moment I have no snails, crabs or other fish.
  • I also have taken into thought that they are nocturnal and with SPS the tank is a brighter lite tank. But I have carved out many caves and holes into my pukani rock, which has created dark areas in the systems for are a creature such as this. I understand it may not be seen a ton during the day and more at night when the lights a dimer or completely off, but I'm ok with that because when it would be out it will be a cool sight.
So if I have my system designed for both coral and and octopus could this work?

My main question here is, will the octopus kill the acropora or vise versa.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acropora has no potential to harm the Octopi, in a small tank the Octopi may stress the acropora if crawled on enough.

I feed my Octo little neck clams which you can buy from any grocery store. Just make sure the shell is clamped down hard and the clam does not small like decay. You just add a few to the tank and the Octopi can eat them at their leisure. Fresh water foods are bad for octopi such as crawfish, gold fish and fw shrimp.

My Octopi tank was nothing special, but it kept the Octopus in, and had filtration. If I think of it I will try to throw up an image.

OP
OP
30reef

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acropora has no potential to harm the Octopi, in a small tank the Octopi may stress the acropora if crawled on enough.

I feed my Octo little neck clams which you can buy from any grocery store. Just make sure the shell is clamped down hard and the clam does not small like decay. You just add a few to the tank and the Octopi can eat them at their leisure. Fresh water foods are bad for octopi such as crawfish, gold fish and fw shrimp.

My Octopi tank was nothing special, but it kept the Octopus in, and had filtration. If I think of it I will try to throw up an image.

Ok! Thank you very much for the extra info.
I'm thinking I'll give it a shot and see what happens! If I notice my Acros starting to look out of the ordinary, I can always find another suitable home for the octopi!

Also have a few other questions about the octopus!

• Should I run a heater, I'm currently not and the water stays between 72-75.
  • Any precautions to take with filtration? So it does not harm the octopi?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected my Octopus off the coast of Southern California, two spot/ Octopus bimaculoides, so I had no heater. The tank had old style eclipse filtration system, bio-wheel type so the hood contained the filtration media. I ran foam and old school charcoal.
The Two Spot is a medium size Octopi when adult, life span roughly 7-9 months. Once my Octopi got settled they spent as much time watching me and I spent watching them. Very interactive animals that like SW safe items, such as bottles, pots, toys to examine.
Just make sure to keep a tight lid, give the animal some stimuli, avoid foods sold for fw carnivores, try to feed clams, sw shrimp when able.
I put a hooky back round on the tank of corals to make my octopi feel more secure. As I posted earlier I will put up an image of Ursula, when I find it again. :)

OP
OP
30reef

30reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collect this Octopus type right after hatches in the back bay. Someone had thrown a bunch of road cones in the water and the Octopi used it as a nursery every year.

You have coral with yours correct? In the picture it looks like there's a hammers coral?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept them a few times and as long as you have it so it won't escape it won't hurt coral. They just eat fish and especially crabs. I used to feed her live fiddler crabs that I can easily collect. They enjoy playing with and killing crabs. Mine even spawned in the tank, here are the babies. Unfortunately they die after they spawn.
I received a call many years ago from Athens Greece. They wanted me to move there and start an octopus breeding program and they offered me a nice sum to do it. But I didn't want to quit my job for an adventure that was unlikely to succeed being octopus die after spawning.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the fun in keeping an octopus but unless ur ready to spend the money to replace them after they die being that their lifespan is very short. So to design the whole tank just for them is going to be expensive for the short lifespan an octopus

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have coral with yours correct? In the picture it looks like there's a hammers coral?

No that is the back round for the tank. Octopus feel more comfortable against a back round they can change their coloration and blend in with.

I see the fun in keeping an octopus but unless ur ready to spend the money to replace them after they die being that their lifespan is very short. So to design the whole tank just for them is going to be expensive for the short lifespan an octopus

It's not expensive financially wise, tanks are cheap it's a simple design, lids must be escape proof, commitment to provide an optimal environment is the challenge. Well worth the expense to keep one if you're up to the challenge. It's much more expensive to keep a mixed reef.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that is the back round for the tank. Octopus feel more comfortable against a back round they can change their coloration and blend in with.

It's not expensive financially wise, tanks are cheap it's a simple design, lids must be escape proof, commitment to provide an optimal environment is the challenge. Well worth the expense to keep one if you're up to the challenge. It's much more expensive to keep a mixed reef.

I mean the octopi

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated with plenty of pics and progress. Interesting stuff!

Forbidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey im so glad u wrote this because I'm wpundering the same question... I want to house an octopus with hammer coral but have no clue if it's safe for either and can't find any info on it.. so please see let me know if u did and how it worked out. -niki

Forbidden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!
Quick question so my LFS got a dwarf octopus in that I'm thinking of purchasing and adding to my reef tank. Most websites I've read on say, octopus are considered "non reef safe".
Which I'd mainly assume has to do with other fish and invertebrates.
So my tank is very minimalistic, I have some large pukani rocks with only SPS corals. No other fish or invertebrates are in this tank.
Now I do understand octopus do create a large bioload, but my filtration is for sure would be good + I run carbon.
I've reasearched over the past few weeks about octopus and cephalopods, and I know what their requirements are for the home aquarium, I know they have a short lifespan also.

But the main question here is will the octopus be ok with SPS corals (acroporas).

I just wrote you on the bottom.. did it ever work out for you?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back