Octopus video

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just love and wanted to share this video I got of my red pacific octopus, Moriarty! He’s just coming over to say hello and pull my hand back to his rock for better leverage to get it to his den…. He may be missing something about my overall size…. (Sound off unless you want to hear my overflow I need to adjust)

Attachments

• IMG_4455.MOV
    29.8 MB

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just love and wanted to share this video I got of my red pacific octopus, Moriarty! He’s just coming over to say hello and pull my hand back to his rock for better leverage to get it to his den…. He may be missing something about my overall size…. (Sound off unless you want to hear my overflow I need to adjust)
I’m buying a tank for a Caribbean octopus just curious how big of a whole can you’re octopus fit through. How did you modify your inlet and outlet.

OP
OP
aurora.k

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there @Wolfw28 ! I was nervous so I used this mesh (4 Pieces Plastic Mesh Sheets for Embroidery Black Mesh Fish Tank Divider Screen Craft Mesh 10 Pieces Binding Bars Sliding Bars for Embroidery Crafting Knit and Crochet Projects https://a.co/d/c61DQni) to cover the return grates and the top of the overflow (just superglued it right on), but really I probably only needed it for the top given his size when I got him. After he got comfortable with me he started occasionally hanging out at the surface “upside down” and I when I first saw his beak, it was clearly bigger than the Red Sea overflow “grates”, let alone the mesh I bought (but the top open part could have otherwise been a problem). So you could definitely use this, and you may not need it, but you won’t know til you get the octo and see how big it is (and eventually you’ll see the beak and then know for sure). Mine was full grown when I got him so you can get a sense in the video. I also originally used mesh (actual mesh, like fish net mesh) over the return valve, but I stopped because it messed with the flow and I never once saw him anywhere near the return valve.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there @Wolfw28 ! I was nervous so I used this mesh (4 Pieces Plastic Mesh Sheets for Embroidery Black Mesh Fish Tank Divider Screen Craft Mesh 10 Pieces Binding Bars Sliding Bars for Embroidery Crafting Knit and Crochet Projects https://a.co/d/c61DQni) to cover the return grates and the top of the overflow (just superglued it right on), but really I probably only needed it for the top given his size when I got him. After he got comfortable with me he started occasionally hanging out at the surface “upside down” and I when I first saw his beak, it was clearly bigger than the Red Sea overflow “grates”, let alone the mesh I bought (but the top open part could have otherwise been a problem). So you could definitely use this, and you may not need it, but you won’t know til you get the octo and see how big it is (and eventually you’ll see the beak and then know for sure). Mine was full grown when I got him so you can get a sense in the video. I also originally used mesh (actual mesh, like fish net mesh) over the return valve, but I stopped because it messed with the flow and I never once saw him anywhere near the return valve.

So funny I recommended he use this in his thread, but I didn't know they made it in black, I painted the white stuff I have covering overflows in eel tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back