questions about octopus tanks

I made my 29g tank for a small species of octopus but have a big tank planned out if it grows too much. I started off with live rocks and macro, mid-feb. Added a lot of amphipods, copepods, breeding snails and crabs. There are also covered hides so I can see octopus by lifting a piece of paper taped to outside of tank. Just got an algae octopus as the Caribbean ones I wanted weren’t available. Focusing on healthy tank parameters and the whole life cycle really help keep a healthy tank. (I’ve raised seahorses and cuttlefish and have a reef tank so not new to this.) I ended up using a standard tank and using foam and plastic sewing canvas to protect octopuses arms from intakes and from escaping. I have a glass top and cut and glued plastic canvas to firmly close holes.
 
I made my 29g tank for a small species of octopus but have a big tank planned out if it grows too much. I started off with live rocks and macro, mid-feb. Added a lot of amphipods, copepods, breeding snails and crabs. There are also covered hides so I can see octopus by lifting a piece of paper taped to outside of tank. Just got an algae octopus as the Caribbean ones I wanted weren’t available. Focusing on healthy tank parameters and the whole life cycle really help keep a healthy tank. (I’ve raised seahorses and cuttlefish and have a reef tank so not new to this.) I ended up using a standard tank and using foam and plastic sewing canvas to protect octopuses arms from intakes and from escaping. I have a glass top and cut and glued plastic canvas to firmly close holes.

I've never kept that species - let us know how it does!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new