Odd Behavior by Blue Hippo Tang

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I tested again today and there was a really large ammonia spike, big enough that even using the API test kit I have is going past the range it reads. So I did a 75% water change in the display tank and put some ammonia neutralizer and quick start in the system. Hopefully that fixes most of these issues along with my skimmer just "broke in" so ill have that trying to help (newish to skimmers so not fully sure what they remove but that brown water being removed has got to be good right?) and a refugium with some chaetomorpha growing so I'm really hoping this settles.
Ugh, that isn't good. Still the API test is tough to use, maybe it was just reading wrong?

I guess you also need to watch the spots on the tang and if they increase in numbers, decide on a treatment....either copper or hyposalinity. Neither can be done with invertebrates present though.

Jay

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that isn't good. Still the API test is tough to use, maybe it was just reading wrong?

I guess you also need to watch the spots on the tang and if they increase in numbers, decide on a treatment....either copper or hyposalinity. Neither can be down with invertebrates present though.

Jay
giving it some more time and it seems as though the spots have mostly disappeared and the odd behavior was just a really high ammonia spike making the tang act all weird. I think the spots may have just been particles stuck to them still not sure but after doing water changes the fish relaxes and comes out to swim freely. Appreciate everyone who helped in this thread with suggestions turns out the rocks i removed from the sump affected it more than i thought it would

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back