Odd Royal pencil wrasse behavior?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked an awesome looking male royal pencil wrasse yesterday and put him in QT. He's just in there with a baby regal angel. He is currently swimming at the surface, sticking his head out of the water and spitting water? I've seen this behavior on a tile fish before as well. Should I be concerned? He seems normal otherwise.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked an awesome looking male royal pencil wrasse yesterday and put him in QT. He's just in there with a baby regal angel. He is currently swimming at the surface, sticking his head out of the water and spitting water? I've seen this behavior on a tile fish before as well. Should I be concerned? He seems normal otherwise.
That's not normal for a pencil wrasse. That is the wrasse trying to keep swimming up to avoid danger, but has run out of vertical water space. He was likely stressed during transport, tried to bury in the bag and was unable, so is following it's next instinct for survival, which is swim away. It should settle down relatively quickly. Sometimes directing it with your hand to cover will settle it.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not normal for a pencil wrasse. That is the wrasse trying to keep swimming up to avoid danger, but has run out of vertical water space. He was likely stressed during transport, tried to bury in the bag and was unable, so is following it's next instinct for survival, which is swim away. It should settle down relatively quickly. Sometimes directing it with your hand to cover will settle it.
That makes sense. Thank you. I also witnessed more odd behavior. He slept vertically in a PVC pipe last night.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Many wrasses sleep in the most obserd crazyest ways possible lol but i have a wrasse that kept dipping his face out of water due to brook so be on the lookout

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi there,

i know this is an old thread but i was wondering if the pencil fish stopped spitting water and made it out of qt?

Thanks

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back