Oddball fish for 6 gallon fluvel edge

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the middle of cycling a 6 gallon fluvel edge and I figured out I don’t want just the normal fish in there and wanted to try something new. I was wondering if there are any oddball fish like a puffer/angler/lionfish that would be okay in a small 6 gallon tank. Any ideas of rare or cool fish would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
S

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be too quick to dismiss barnacle blennies. They are hilarious and full of personality. They turn their heads to watch you and are fast as lightening!

I am thinking about them but, flaming prawn gobys are beautiful and there cool looking

Greckel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you'll have a hard time finding a unique fish for your set up. Barnacle blennies are hilarious though.

There are some inverts that have a ton of personality and could be really fun in a 5g. There are a few Mantis species (G. smithii and N. wennerae) that will do fine in a 5g. A Sexy Shrimp colony could be a lot of fun. Pom Pom Crabs are pretty cool, but hard to find in large tanks.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby red dragonet are awesome if you can get them to eat. Mine was eating fine, then stopped for some reason.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby red dragonet are awesome if you can get them to eat. Mine was eating fine, then stopped for some reason.

Very poor choice for a new 6 gallon tank since they are pod hunters and will have access to the smallest of portions of live rock. I personally wouldn't touch anything smaller than a 10 gallon for saltwater fish, but a sub 3 inch goby or blenny could work. No more than 1 though.

JTreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flaming prawn are very neat. I had one in a 5. But very cryptic. Still fun when you do catch a glimpse. Panamic barnacle blennies are the best fish too.
White head shrimp goby with shrimp could be neat but pricey.

OP
OP
S

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy idea for down the road, if I plumed the 6 gallon to a 20 gallon long refugium sump could I keep a mandarin dragonet?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't.

Scratch that. I ... just wouldn't.

Not much room for a mandarin, even if it was plumbed to a 75 gallon sump ... and I'm not sure the 20 gallon 'fuge would be sending enough pods to the display, reliably enough, for a mandy.

~Bruce

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back