Of mud, mangroves, and niches: Mission 2018

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MISSION: 2018

I’ve certainly spent enough time talking abstract philosophy of late, right? While I’m pleased with the level of discussion, I think it’s time to talk about ways to run a more biologically diverse reef system in 2018. With all of the cool gear around, to me it’s actually more beneficial to talk about the way I’d want to set up the system- it’s “theme” and philosophy (ahrggh, there’s that word again!).

IMG_6028.JPG

So, my stated goal is to create a modest-sized aquarium that embraces natural processes which occur in various niches within the reef biome. Now, that being said, I am interested in more of a lagoon-type habitat, preferably one with a strong connection to the nearby land. I am fascinated about the idea of incorporating mud, biosediment, and other substrate materials into the display. The idea of re-creating a little habitat around a mangrove tree and some seagrass, or to attempt to replicate those “coral islands” in Palau (reef below, terrestrial plants above) has been tugging at me for decades…and I think it might be time to play with one of these concepts.

Palau-rock-islands20071222-1.jpg

WHAT’S MUD GOT TO DO WITH IT???

Yes, you’ve heard me yammer about it, but I’m still really into the idea of using various types of ocean-sourced muds and sediments in our aquariums. This is not exactly new. It’s something we've played with over the past few decades, right? Yet, with all of the ideas of sandbeds and such, I think we should be utilizing natural mud, or the really great substrates offered by companies like CaribSea, Brightwell, Seachem, etc. And let’s not forget “Miracle Mud”, too! Now, I’m not talking about using these products because of some over-hued marketing hyperbole about them curing sick fishes and raising corals from the dead or whatever. Nope.

dsb.JPG

I’m curious about the way these materials can impart trace elements into the water. I’m curious how they foster identification. I’m very interested in the possibility of them providing additional foraging opportunities for a wide variety of fishes (specifically fishes like Halichoeres sp. Wrasses, Ctenochaetus sp. Tangs, and Pseduchromids, just to name a very few.). And I’m almost obsessed with the possibility that they can serve as an in-tank refugium (well,sorta) for cultivation of animals which might serve as supplementary food sources for most of the fishes and higher invertebrates in our systems.

KoleTang1.jpg

Mud was one of those odd tangents that hit right around the “early 2000’s refugium craze, and sort of faded quickly into the background. I am sure that part of it was a renewed obsession later in the decade with less biodiverse, more “coral-centric” systems, which eschewed substrates in general, specifically those which had the tendency to house competing biota! All of those factors- and a continued (and cool, I might add) obsession with using high tech electronic pumps to facilitate ridiculous amounts of water movement within our aquariums sealed the fate of mud as a true reef “side show” for the foreseeable future.

Now here we are, in the fading years of the 2nd decade of the new millennium, and I think that it’s time to resuscitate the idea of using mud in our reef tanks again in some capacity. And I’m thinking not JUST the refugium. I’m talking about the display! Now, I realize that a lot of reefers will disagree with my thinking, and dully advise that sand and mud and sediment can become “nutrient sinks” and work against the smooth operation and long term prosperity of a reef. The operative word here, IMHO- is CAN. I mean, even water exchanges can be problematic if poorly executed, right? So I think it might be worth looking at how a well-managed mud/sediment/sand bed could help support a healthy, diverse closed reef ecosystem.

Now, if you go way back into the past (like 2005), you may recall some of the studies into various substrate depths and compositions (and plenums!) and their relative impact on mortality of animals in aquaria. Now, in all fairness, the test subjects were fishes and inverts like hermit crabs and snails, but the findings are nonetheless relatable, in my opinion, to reef tanks. Tonnen and Wee ran a lot of tests with different depths of substrate, ranging from very dahlia to rather deep, and the results were quite fascinating, in my opinion. Interestingly, one conclusion was that “...the shallower the sediment, the higher the mortality rate, and you can't get much shallower than a bare bottom tank!"

Again, that set of experiments had a lot of different variables, like the aforementioned plenum, as well as the use of pretty coarse substrate in some setups (Not too many of us use that stuff!),and no real test using marine muds and sediments as the sole substrate in a reef setting. However, I think it is perhaps safe to say that the presence of a substrate itself in a reef tank doesn’t spell disaster for the inhabitants- be they fish, corals, or urchins…The reality is that a well-managed, carefully stocked reef tank should work under a variety of situations.

IMG_1060.JPG

ANd of course, the cautions are warranted. A poorly maintained sandbed, without some creatures present to stir up the upper layers, can prove problematic if detritus and organic wastes are allowed to accumulate unchecked, right? And there is the so-called “old tank syndrome” (Paul, you’ll have a field day with this, right?) that suggests that after some point in a reef systems operational lifetime (whatever that might be!) the bacteria population within the system (likely the sanded) is depleted somehow and/or no longer has the ability to keep up with the accumulations of organic waster products, and that phosphates and such are released back into the system.

I am being a jerk, and simply being biased, but I have a real problem with that theory. I just don’t see how a well-managed aquarium declines over the years. I’ve personally maintained one reef tank for 17 years, and one freshwwater tank for 16 years and never had these issues. I’m not saying got nominate me for sainthood or anything, but I will tell you that I am a firm believer in not overstocking my tanks, utilizing multiple nutrient export avenues (protein skimming, activated carbon, use of macro algae/plants, and weekly water exchanges). There is no magic there.

Okay, that being said, tanks with substrate, specifically fine sediment materials like mud and such, are not “set and forget” systems. You’ll need to be actively involved. And by “actively involved”, I mean more than tweaking the lighting settings on your LEDS via your iPhone). You’ll need to get your hands wet. Which to me, is the best part of reef keeping!

Now, I’m literally just scratching the surface here, deliberately not going too deep into this because I’d like your thoughts and input. However, I think it’s absolutely possible to maintain a successful reef system with mud and other marine sediments as a significant part of the substrate. One of the keys, in my opinion, is to utilize some marine plants…you know- seagrasses.

Yep- thats’ a whole different story for another time, but I will touch on them here to open things up more. I think they are deserving of more attention from reefers.

1280px-Zostera.jpg

Okay, we all have probably seen or heard about them at one time or another, but rarely do we find ourselves actually playing with them! They are not at all rare in the wild- In fact, they are found all over the world, and there are more than 60 species known to science. Seagrass beds provide amazing benefits to coral reef ecosystems, such as protection from sedimentation, a “nursery” for larval fishes, and a feeding ground for many adult fishes.. In the aquarium, they can perform many of the same functions. So why are we not seeing more of them in the hobby?

I believe there are three main reasons why we don’t: 1) They suffer from what I call the “Caulerpa Syndrome”- a bad rep ascribed to just about anything green in the marine hobby- “They will smother your corals”, or “They can crash and kill everything in the tank”, or even, “They give off toxic byproducts that inhibit coral growth”. 2) There simply aren’t enough people working with them to get them out to the hobby in marketable quantities. 3) They are finicky and hard to grow.

Let’s beat up Number 1 first: Seagrasses are true vascular plants, not macroalgae, and they do not creep over rocks, go “sexual” and crash, or exude chemicals that will stifle the growth of your “True Echinata”! In fact, they are mild-mannered, grow at a relatively modest rate, and are compatible with just about everything we keep in a reef tank. And no, they will not smother your corals or grow over rockwork. They grow in soils and sandbeds, and need to put down root systems. You can keep them nicely confined to just the places that you want them. Dedicate a section of sandbed that you’d like them to grow, plant them, give them good conditions, and you’ll be singing their praises in no time!

Reason Number 2 is probably caused in part by #1, but in actuality, is the most probable reason why we don’t see them everywhere: Until very recently, they were the sole domain of dedicated specialty hobbyists, who delighted in growing plants and taking on other challenges. The hobby as a whole simply never sees them in quantity, helping spur the (false) image that they are rare, dangerous, or difficult to work with. Someone (hey- that can be YOU) needs to step up and produce/distribute them in quantity! (if you don’t…I will, lol)

Reason Number 3 has a bit of truth to it. Some of the seagrasses can be a bit finicky at first, and don’t always take initially when transplanted. Like any plant, they go through an adjustment period, after which they will begin to grow and thrive if conditions are to their liking. It has also been discovered in recent years that there are microbial associations in the soils/sediments that they are found in which enable them to settle in better and adapt to new conditions. So in short, if you are obtaining seagrasses, you can never hurt your cause if they come with some of the substrate that they grew in.

If you can provide a mature, rich sand bed (say 3”-6”), good quality lighting (daylight spectrum or 10k work well), decent water quality, and no large populations of harsh herbivorous fishes, like Tangs or Rabbitfishes), you can almost guarantee some success. And the other key ingredient is patience. You need to leave them alone, let them acclimate, and allow them to grow on their own.

By the way, you can use a variety of commercially-available substrate materials in addition to your fish-waste-filled sand, such as products made by Kent Marine, Seachem and Carib Sea, that are designed just for this purpose! How ironic- products exist to help grow seagrasses, and so few people are actually taking advantage of them! Oh, and wait, a well-stocked reef is capable of creating a good rich sand bed, huh?

There are three main species that we find in the hobby: Halodule, or “Shoal Grass”, Halophilia , knows as “Stargrass”, “Paddle Grass”, or “Oar Grass”, and Thalassia, known commonly as “Turtle Grass”. I call them “The Big Three”. Each one has slightly different requirements, and I will briefly cover them here.

Halodule looks a lot like the freshwater plant Sagittaria, or “Micro Sword”, in my opinion- and grows like it, too. Plant it in a modestly deep (3”), rich substrate, and it will put down a dense system of runners as it establishes itself. Once it establishes itself, it’s about as easy to grow as an aquatic plant can be, IMO. I think it’s the best candidate for extensive captive propagation, so those of you with greenhouses should devote a tray or two to this stuff. I envision this being grown in “pony packs” like you see with groundcover plants at your local nursery, so that a hobbyists can purchase a “flat” of Halodule and simply plop it into their tank.. Think of the commercial possibilities here, folks!

1280px-Halodule_wrightii.jpg

Halophila is a very attractive plant, which, although slightly more delicate and challenging than Halodule, is still relatively easy to grow, and is really pretty, too! I’ve grown this plant in substrates as shallow as 2.5”, but you probably want 3” or more for good solid growth. This seagrass definitely “shocks out” when you transplant it, and you will lose some leaves straight away. However, with patience, good conditions, and a little time, it will come back into its own and form a beautiful addition to your reef tank. And man, it would be a nice sight to see at your next club frag swap- I’ll bet you could get a choice “Superman Monti” in trade for a few Halophila!

Thalassia is “THE” seagrass to most people- the one we envision when we hear the term “Seagrass”. It’s called “Turtle Grass”, and it is one of the larger varieties, growing up to 24” in height if space permits. Its thick leaves create a beautiful contrast to rockwork, and it can create an interesting area for fishes to forage when you can get a thick growth of it. It does grow VERY slowly, and you will typically have to start with a quite a few plants if you are trying to fill in a designated space in your tank. It requires a pretty deep sandbed, too- 5 to 6 inches or more is ideal. Because of it’s slow growth rate and height requirements, it’s the least attractive candidate for captive propagation, IMO. However, it is still a lovely plant with much to offer.

800px-Thalassia_hemprichii.jpg

Seagrasses offer just another interesting diversion and an opportunity for the hobbyists to try something altogether new in the aquarium. Not only will you be growing something cool and exciting, you’ll have a chance to get in on the ground floor of a new area of the marine hobby. By unlocking the secrets of seagrasses, you will be further contributing to the body of knowledge of the husbandry of these plants. Obviously, I just scratched the uppermost surface of the topic here, but I’m hopeful that I have piqued your interest enough to give the seagrasses a try!

Seagrass_Japan2.jpg

Oh, man, was that a tangent, right?

Well, not totally, because it’s my opinion that the key to a high biodiversity reef tank in the long term would be to incorporate these true vascular plants into the mix. And mangroves, too! Now, I would be fooling myself and all of you if I felt that a mangrove pant in your reef is going to contribute in any meaningful way to nutrient export for your system. Sure, they may pull some nutrient from the water or substrate, but their real value, in my opinion, is to foster the growth of epiphytic life (diatoms, tunicates, etc.) which contribute to the nutrient export and biodiversity of the aquarium.

800px-Red_mangrove-everglades_natl_park.jpg

And of course, they look cool. And I am very fascinated about playing with mangroves leaves, and the decomposing materials and how they interplay with the aforementioned sediments, and corals…There’s a lot going on there. It’s a lot to consider for a reef tank…but I can’t help but feel that there is something to be gained by incorporating mangroves into the mix…I have visited Julian Sprung’s unique and highly diverse reef systems several times, and each time I’m taken with just how well everything functions as part of a whole- plants, macroalgae, seagrass, sponges, tunicates, feather dusters, coral, invest…fishes. Real deal diversity. Truly the microcosm that John Tullock outlined so many years ago.

party3.jpg

I’m a firm believer that people like Julian, Paul B., and others are successful with their diverse systems long term because they understand and appreciate the biodiversity, and provide conditions which allow the largest majority of life forms to prosper for the longest period of time. Also, the guys have made the “mental shift” that those of you who follow my freshwater writing here me speak of so often…The mental shift that understands and appreciates the way these systems actually look. A POV that realizes that some algae, some detritus, and some nitrate/phosphate is not only inevitable- it’s desirable. It’s a mode of thinking which gets away from the “Coral is everything and the tank must be spotless, with every technical prop used to assure this…” and embraces a mindset of “The tank must be lush and diverse, with a wide variety of animals thriving as they do in nature in a stable environment.”

262912_1880467540006_7225784_n.jpg

Two perfectly valid mindsets, with somewhat similar goals, but dramatically different approaches to get there, and viewpoints as to which aesthetic is most attractive. I am not saying that we all need to ditch all of our high tech gear and go back to trickle filters, 5,000k halides, and massive pump-powered protein skimemrs. What I am suggesting is that we utilize the technology and information that is available today and apply it to some of the more interesting approaches from the past which foster more diverse reef systems.

The time has never been more appropriate. Time to look at some of these “niche” ideas with a new mindset- and a new appreciation for what they can accomplish!

Let’s hear your thoughts on some of these approaches and how the best parts might be incorporated into a “second decade” twenty-first century reef tank!

Stay bold. Stay curious. Stay engaged. Stay open-minded…

And Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman

Last edited by a moderator:

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who set up a large display refugium to create an aspect of my setup much like you described, it is good to hear that more is coming. These natural tanks ("dirty" tanks, as I like to call them) are not very prevalent, but they sure offer a lot to look at. Sterile tanks have a beauty that is appreciated quickly, but I find myself staring at all the small life and structure in my display refugium tank for long stretches.

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who set up a large display refugium to create an aspect of my setup much like you described, it is good to hear that more is coming. These natural tanks ("dirty" tanks, as I like to call them) are not very prevalent, but they sure offer a lot to look at. Sterile tanks have a beauty that is appreciated quickly, but I find myself staring at all the small life and structure in my display refugium tank for long stretches.
I agree...they both have their aesthetic appeal. The more "dirty" (I feel bad using that term...:eek:) tank hold an appeal to me because, although I've dove and surfed over some pretty pristine reefs i the wild, they all have a sort of diverse (in reef lingo, "dirty", lol) look that we seem to fear in the aquarium world. I think it's going to take successes, lots of sharing, some failures, a little bit of learning and perfecting, and a mental shift on the part of some reefers to really bring biologically diverse systems back into vogue. But I think it will happen.there is so much more to a reef than just coral, and a lot more to a reef tank than a bunch of frags, IMHO...hence the term "reef aquarium.." ;Woot

-Scott

Firethorn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this highly interesting. I don't plan on doing it for myself anytime soon, as I don't care for deep sand beds, but a nice read nonetheless.

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this highly interesting. I don't plan on doing it for myself anytime soon, as I don't care for deep sand beds, but a nice read nonetheless.
Appreciate the kind words! I think it's great just to see reefers interested in the ideas...even if only to file them away for use at some future date..or not...or for the purpose of working them into other concepts...in general, thanks for being open minded! ;Happy
-Scott

Firethorn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course! I'm always looking for new ideas and concepts for our hobby. This has certainly been filed away.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I learn more about keeping sea grass in a reef tank? Minimum tank size, care requirements etc..
Thank you for the article. I really love that idea of using biological, naturally occurring means of nutrient export. I would definitely like to give this a shot

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along.

I am very interested in this concept!! I have four different dsb's to test out different substrates. I also have black mangroves, a few macros, and just starting out with sea grass. The main purpose is to hopefully grow it out so I can transplant to our bay to help replenish our seagrass beds. Still in the beginning stages and I am not sure if I will ever be able to, but something needs to happen. I have been taking care of a shoal grass bed for a few years and it has gone from a 2x2 patch to almost a scattered football field. I would appreciate any and all advice on shoal grass or turtle grass. I don't think my plugs that I get are big enough and they keep pulling out the sand as of right now. I do have some that has been in there for a couple months and is still there not dead but not growing either.

Thanks for the article and I will be sticking around.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I learn more about keeping sea grass in a reef tank? Minimum tank size, care requirements etc..
Thank you for the article. I really love that idea of using biological, naturally occurring means of nutrient export. I would definitely like to give this a shot

I am employing seagrasses because they have an element of nostalgia the for Florida Keys scuba/snorkeling trips of my youth. I love the look. I'm not sure how much nutrient export they do, given the slow growth rate. I have them in my "dirty" tank combined with algae, coral, and anemones.

I had a hard time finding many current tanks that have much for seagrasses. Check out the information on live-plants.com about the different species. I think Julian Sprung has some good articles, as well. I currently have turtle and shoal grass, and the shoal was a lot easier to transplant. I have had them about a month now and they seem stable. They are in a 6-8" sand bed. I think my turtle has even sprouted a couple new shoots.

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Utilizing seagrasses strictly for nutrient export (as opposed to more simple to cultivate macroalgae) would definitely be cool, and not something done very often. Well worth the effort, IMHO.

Seagrasses are still a sort of "fringe" area (no pun intended) in the reef hobby, and although there are a lot of scientific papers (like on Google Scholar, etc.) on them, hobby-specific material is difficult to come by. In the archives of Reefkeeping you'll find a great piece by Sarah Lardizabal, who introduced me to them a decade or so ago...Still probably the most comprehensive hobby-level article I'm aware of on the topic. It's a great starting point!

Hope this helps!

Scott

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am employing seagrasses because they have an element of nostalgia the for Florida Keys scuba/snorkeling trips of my youth. I love the look. I'm not sure how much nutrient export they do, given the slow growth rate. I have them in my "dirty" tank combined with algae, coral, and anemones.

I had a hard time finding many current tanks that have much for seagrasses. Check out the information on live-plants.com about the different species. I think Julian Sprung has some good articles, as well. I currently have turtle and shoal grass, and the shoal was a lot easier to transplant. I have had them about a month now and they seem stable. They are in a 6-8" sand bed. I think my turtle has even sprouted a couple new shoots.

Exactly, I think it would be interesting to contemplate them for nutrient export, but I think the more accurate term would be "nutrient utilization"- to sort of consume some of the materials in the substrate material which the coral are not using, and to pull some of the phosphates and/or other compounds out as well. But full-scale, macro algae-style nutrient export is not something that I've played with before! I've kept them in the context of being the "stars" of the tank, lol.

Yeah, there are a few good pieces out there and even fewer vendors, but well worth the effort! One key survival point that is pretty much agreed upon by everyone who dabbles with seagrasses is that you should try to obtain them with some of the mud they were collected from. This seems to be one of he keys to their survival, and the microbial associations occurring i the mud are thought to make transplantation much more survivable for the plant. Great that you Thalassia has sprouted some new shoots! A great sign!

Fun stuff! SO much more to learn....

Scott

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool read! I didn't know you could have sea grass in a SW tank. We are in the middle of a build for a 65 seahorse tank which we have planned to make the DT like a refugium, lots of macro algae. Do you think sea grass would be a good fit and beneficial for harboring all the good critters? What would you recommend? The tank is a 65 tall, has a sump, tonga and picani live rock, and about a 2-3 inch sand bed. It will have two Kessils and plan on having a wide variety of soft corals and macro algae.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting indeed. I'm just starting out and am very much a fan of the "full of life" philosophy. Sea grass was something I had thought of including when I was first starting out my plans, but I quickly found that didn't seem to be an available option in the hobby.

Our tank is "fallow" at the moment in that there are no fish. But that doesn't mean that there isn't plenty of life.

IMG_20170809_181819-01.jpeg

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting indeed. I'm just starting out and am very much a fan of the "full of life" philosophy. Sea grass was something I had thought of including when I was first starting out my plans, but I quickly found that didn't seem to be an available option in the hobby.

Our tank is "fallow" at the moment in that there are no fish. But that doesn't mean that there isn't plenty of life.

IMG_20170809_181819-01.jpeg
Looks like a great start! Will be fun to watch it evolve!!!
-Scott

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool read! I didn't know you could have sea grass in a SW tank. We are in the middle of a build for a 65 seahorse tank which we have planned to make the DT like a refugium, lots of macro algae. Do you think sea grass would be a good fit and beneficial for harboring all the good critters? What would you recommend? The tank is a 65 tall, has a sump, tonga and picani live rock, and about a 2-3 inch sand bed. It will have two Kessils and plan on having a wide variety of soft corals and macro algae.

I think it could work...I'd go with "Shoal Grass" (Halodule wrightii)- it's the fastest-growing, and most hardy variety, IMHO. And it will grow in a 3-inch sandbed! I think it would look really cool in there. "inoculate" your tank with some amphipods and such from Algae Barn; maybe a kit from Indo Pacific Sea Farms (Gerald Heslinga's cool outfit in HI), and you're good! The horses will have a lot of stuff to pick at!!!
-Scott

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely written and another one I enjoyed.
My next build will be my last large tank I will ever own and likely be multiple tanks directly tied to one another.
I plan to build my home around my fish room and display tank. In this room Probably where I will live ;) will have larger tanks to house things like sea grass beds, refuguiums with macro algae and a lagoon with mangroves. Sick yes I know but this is a long term goal I have set years ago so that I have something to occupy my time till the end of my days with the vast opportunities to study, learn, advance and enjoy the hobby.
My wife has had the floor plans of the house made up and has to change several key things about some walls and space that I will be expanding as my goals for this room have grown from the original thought.
At this point I think ''we'' have come to an agreement that this will be the final change as for space and size of the display tank are concerned. :rolleyes:
That is until I get the Foundation poured and it seems larger than her floor plans :D:D

I have always wanted to get back into keeping some sea grass though living on the gulf coast we have strict rules in place about aquatic marine grasses that wildlife and fisheries doesnt want to take a chance at having introduced into the local ecosystem.
They get a little frowny faced when at a boat launch and see sea grass on your trailer axles that appear to be from the last trip or the last launch you used earlier in the day.
I can see their point and logic behind the rules and laws and even seen first hand what a non native plant// sea grass can do to an area.... total take over. Though at the same time most of the waters around the area are lower salinity toward even brackish and mostly fresh water that True marine grasses would not have a chance at I would think.

There seems to be a very limited selection if any offered from vendors pertaining to sea grasses and even different types of macro algae, I can only think that the demand is super low especially compared to fish and coral and this is the reason why they are hard to come by for sale.
I am of the older school of reef keeping that believes in bio diversity and having as many life forms as possible in the tank to complete the ecosystem that we are trying to guide.
A sterile looking tank, bare rock, stark white sand or no sand can be a beautiful display in my opinion and if this is something that someone tries to keep then that is up to them. A diverse reef system with sand that has some crud or discoloration is normal to me and all the critters that dwell in the sand bed is beneficial to the tank plus adds to the ''something else to look at '' category.
Having algae on the rock isnt the end of the world it is normal and gives the grazing critters something to snack on through out the day and a place for all sorts of micro fauna to get busy.
I can stare at my tank for hours and each day even each time I look there is a high chance I will see something new. My wife and kids do this all the time, Hey when did you get this Or Where did these strange things come from. My answer is usually the same, Dont know.. just popped up or grew.

Adding mud, sediments and other factors that make up the oceans environments directly affecting the reef in one way or another can have no ill affect on a reef tank In my opinion and thoughts, they could only add to the biodiversity and success of the system.

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely written and another one I enjoyed.
My next build will be my last large tank I will ever own and likely be multiple tanks directly tied to one another.
I plan to build my home around my fish room and display tank. In this room Probably where I will live ;) will have larger tanks to house things like sea grass beds, refuguiums with macro algae and a lagoon with mangroves. Sick yes I know but this is a long term goal I have set years ago so that I have something to occupy my time till the end of my days with the vast opportunities to study, learn, advance and enjoy the hobby.
My wife has had the floor plans of the house made up and has to change several key things about some walls and space that I will be expanding as my goals for this room have grown from the original thought.
At this point I think ''we'' have come to an agreement that this will be the final change as for space and size of the display tank are concerned. :rolleyes:
That is until I get the Foundation poured and it seems larger than her floor plans :D:D

I have always wanted to get back into keeping some sea grass though living on the gulf coast we have strict rules in place about aquatic marine grasses that wildlife and fisheries doesnt want to take a chance at having introduced into the local ecosystem.
They get a little frowny faced when at a boat launch and see sea grass on your trailer axles that appear to be from the last trip or the last launch you used earlier in the day.
I can see their point and logic behind the rules and laws and even seen first hand what a non native plant// sea grass can do to an area.... total take over. Though at the same time most of the waters around the area are lower salinity toward even brackish and mostly fresh water that True marine grasses would not have a chance at I would think.

There seems to be a very limited selection if any offered from vendors pertaining to sea grasses and even different types of macro algae, I can only think that the demand is super low especially compared to fish and coral and this is the reason why they are hard to come by for sale.
I am of the older school of reef keeping that believes in bio diversity and having as many life forms as possible in the tank to complete the ecosystem that we are trying to guide.
A sterile looking tank, bare rock, stark white sand or no sand can be a beautiful display in my opinion and if this is something that someone tries to keep then that is up to them. A diverse reef system with sand that has some crud or discoloration is normal to me and all the critters that dwell in the sand bed is beneficial to the tank plus adds to the ''something else to look at '' category.
Having algae on the rock isnt the end of the world it is normal and gives the grazing critters something to snack on through out the day and a place for all sorts of micro fauna to get busy.
I can stare at my tank for hours and each day even each time I look there is a high chance I will see something new. My wife and kids do this all the time, Hey when did you get this Or Where did these strange things come from. My answer is usually the same, Dont know.. just popped up or grew.

Adding mud, sediments and other factors that make up the oceans environments directly affecting the reef in one way or another can have no ill affect on a reef tank In my opinion and thoughts, they could only add to the biodiversity and success of the system.

I completely agree that most nay reef system can be beautiful...and it's truly subjective. However, to me- and evidently to many of you- there is an entirely different beauty to a more diverse, natural system that I personally feel no "frag tank" setup can match. Of course, to those hobbyists who think coral is more beautiful than anything else- I can't fault them and totally "get" their mindset. However, I think- no, I believe- that most any type of system can benefit long term from some form of diversity.

-Scott

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting as always, I've sort of been concentrating more on macro algae, harvested the display refugium a week ago.
Time to see what I can find in the way of sea grass here in England. :)
I'll just leave this here if that's ok! ;)

DSC01295 by sshipuk, on Flickr
Fantastic! And there is nothing wrong with macro algae vs. seagrasses..They're both beautiful, and I think macro algae, with faster growth and easier harvesting are superior as a pure nutrient export vehicle. Tank looks great- feel free to share pics here!

-Scott

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic! And there is nothing wrong with macro algae vs. seagrasses..They're both beautiful, and I think macro algae, with faster growth and easier harvesting are superior as a pure nutrient export vehicle. Tank looks great- feel free to share pics here!

-Scott

I will add some more detail later, had a 10 plus hour power outage 3 days ago, still some corals letting go.

Thanks.
Before a harvest last weekend, I removed about 4 lbs, this "field" in the display refugium stretched back about 16 inches, grown on eggcrate, loves strong flow. :)

DSC00802 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back