Offshore Drilling Rigs and Artificial Reefs

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who lives on the central coast of ca I was thrilled to see this article. They turned an oil rig into a sea bird colony near my home.

As great as these artifical reefs are there is they can attract animals from other areas rather than bolster populations which can be detrimental.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Dad worked on an oil rig (Louisiana) for a while when he got laid off from the shipyard. He said it was amazing to see the sea life there. He told me about all of the sharks and sea turtles. Maybe one day I'll get to see it for myself.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
My Dad worked on an oil rig (Louisiana) for a while when he got laid off from the shipyard. He said it was amazing to see the sea life there. He told me about all of the sharks and sea turtles. Maybe one day I'll get to see it for myself.

As a child, I fished from those iron structures and peered into the deep blue. It was amazing for me then and I never lost that amazement of “life under”. As a vocation of > 30 years, I regularly traveled to the deep abyss as I flew the ROV and marveled at the hidden beauty there. Now, I can design and put together my expression of what I saw and experienced for those years that I was privileged to see it.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As Department Head, when the Subsea BOP was on bottom in autopilot, my job was easy, when you took care of the details. TLC & attention to detail will excel “all the time”. At the end of a 12 hour work day, I would often go under semi-submersible deck structure. It separated me from the noise of rig work and allowed me to disconnect and meditate. It was an excellent place to fish with crisscrossed pontoon structures 70’ in diameter offering structure for food and ambush predators.

My view at 10’ above water line was obscured by glimmering lines & shadows. I heard it before I saw it. A gentle ripple of water when no breezes blew. Ten feet from my noise was a 30’ whale sharp mom and a 10’ pup. Mom’s eyes were focused on me as much as I was focused on her. Then the playful pup head butted mom and she drifted off.

I shall never forget that moment. There was a gentleness in the eyes of that 30’ shark.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back