View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawitch submitted a new Article:

Offshore Drilling Rigs and Artificial Reefs

A shipwreck off of Honduras.
mahogany-bay-2140870_1920-jpg.966702

This is a royalty-free image from Pixabay.

Artificial reefs are something we hear about on a regular basis. There is a growing interest in creating artificial reefs for a few reasons: because of the destruction of natural reefs, which is hopefully slowing down, and because of the economic benefits of allowing a structure already in the ocean to remain there rather than having to remove it to dispose of it.

There are companies that specialize in creating artificial reefs where there is no current structure because not only are artificial reefs—at least in theory—good for the environment, but they also can create a boost to a tourism market. The more that artificial reefs attract and become a home for wildlife, the more they also attract tourists and divers. (They also attract fishing folks, who may take advantage of the growing livestock population legally or illegally but I won’t address that here.)

But what about structures that are already in the ocean for other purposes, like drilling. Could they become artificial reefs and stay where they are permanently?

~~~~~~~~~~~

Very recently, researchers at University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) published a detailed study—perhaps the first ever—of the science and pragmatics of turning old offshore drilling rigs into reefs in Ocean and Coastal Management.

An offshore rig.
oil-rig-2191711_1920-jpg.966698

Decommissioning an oil or gas well on land is an expensive and complex process, although the costs vary significantly depending on where the rig is in the world and the environmental laws and regulatory climate that apply. Decommissioning an offshore drilling (or producing) platform is many times more expensive and complicated—and variable—depending on the distance from shore and the difficulty of getting materials to and from the platform, the depth of the water where the rig is located, and the water conditions and temperature.

The process of decommissioning an offshore well or rig has 10 generally agreed upon components at least in North America and western Europe: “project management, engineering, and planning; permitting and regulatory compliance; platform preparation; well plugging and abandonment; conductor removal; mobilization and demobilization of derrick barges; platform removal; pipeline and power cable decommissioning; materials disposal; and site clearance.”

These steps are the same ones required of on-land rigs, except that now you’re doing all these jobs perhaps miles out in the ocean in open water hundreds or thousands of feet deep. So, if you have to decommission an offshore rig, what may cost $5-$10 million in the Gulf of Mexico close to shore and not that deep can cost hundreds of millions when the rigs are further out to sea where it’s deeper and where large port cities are far away.

There are also several different types of offshore rigs; there is by no means a one-size-fits-all solution.

So, if rigs could be turned into permanent reefs, an oil business can shortcut some of this process. The well A) still has to be capped and plugged, and B) casing removed down to a certain depth dictated by which regulatory body governs, C) and all traces of petroleum and other chemicals have to be removed above and below the water line, etc. etc. etc.

The big difference here is that if there is to be a an artificial reef, the structure itself, the scaffolding, can stay where it is, and in some cases some parts or all of the platform (above water) can stay. That means that immense structure going down to the sea floor and building on the surface doesn’t have to be broken down, transported away and disposed of at enormous cost.

Furthermore, moving these rigs to dispose of them is fraught with the peril of introducing potential pest or invasive species to other areas, miles or hundreds of miles away, if the rig structure is not cleaned of all encrusting organisms before the move.

There are somewhere between 850 to 8000 offshore rigs more or less producing in different parts of the world depending on who you ask. These rigs have a producing life of a few years up to maybe 20 years. They must be decommissioned within a few years of halt in production.

It appears, according to the research paper referenced, that after a few years, rig structures are heavily colonized with marine life including corals and molluscs, alga and microfauna, and are heavily visited by fish. So, the idea of leaving the rig in place, provided all the other requirements are followed, is a win-win for everyone: the livestock gets to stay where it already is, and the oil company saves some money.

Partial rig removal is another option to consider. I don’t mean to give the impression here that I’m pro oil company at any cost. I have no dog in this fight. The fact is by not doing a rig-to-reef project during decommissioning, the oil company could be destroying a sophisticated and mature habitat that already exists beneath the water line. Of course, what damage has already been done to the environment by drilling there in the first place is beyond the scope of this article.

What is beyond question is that within the next 10 years, hundreds of offshore rigs will be decommissioned worldwide. The authors of the UCSB may be primarily preoccupied with the rigs off the coast of California (about 30), but what they have to say applies everywhere.

We all know about how old shipwrecks or sunken ships can turn into artificial reefs and that these structures are attractive to experienced scuba divers. Even the undersides of piers or jetties can become a habitat for marine life.

The underside of a jetty.
underwater-1300930_1920-jpg.966696

So, the big question is should we leave in place these offshore rigs that have an already-established marine ecosystem or have the potential to develop an ecosystem like that? Should we leave them intact or in part? Should the building above the water line stay too--for ease of docking boats or visiting tourists?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note from the Editor: This happens to be a topic I know something about because I worked for an oil company for 15 years and participated in the decommissioning of wells no longer in production on land. Canada has a very strict and arduous regulatory environment, and the process of decommissioning or “abandoning” wells is a long, difficult, and Byzantine process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

References:

https://www.news.ucsb.edu/2019/019327/rigs-reefs

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0964569118304484

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/artificial-reef.html

https://www.offshore-mag.com/articl...-offshore-rig-count-and-utilization-rate.html

https://petrowiki.org/Offshore_decommissioning

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2018/08/20/oil-rigs-support-coral-reefs/#.XFdFWM9KjOQ

https://daily.jstor.org/can-oil-rigs-grow-into-ocean-reefs/

http://www.esa.org/pdfs/Macreadie.pdf

https://www.rigzone.com/training/insight.asp?insight_id=354

Brooks, J.M., C. Fisher, H. Roberts, E. Cordes, I. Baums, B. Bernard, S. Brooke, R. Church, A. Demopoulos, P. Etnoyer, C. German, E. Goehring, C. Kellogg, I. McDonald, C. Morrison, M. Nizinski, S. Ross, T. Shank, D. Warren, S. Welsh, G. Wolff. 2012. Exploration and research of northern Gulf of Mexico deepwater natural and artificial hard-bottom habitats with emphasis on coral communities: Reefs, rigs, and wrecks—“Lophelia II” Interim report. U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Gulf of Mexico OCS Region, New Orleans, LA. OCS Study BOEM 2012-106. 126 p.

~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: Cynthia White

Cynthia received her BA in English from NYU a long long time ago. She has been a freelance writer and editor for over 20 years. Now she is a writer and editor on staff at R2R, where her forum nickname is Seawitch.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not leave in place. They are great place to dive and fish . The biodiversity is outstanding as well. Companies and the military scuttle ships for artificial reefs.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a great idea, from what limited knowledge I have on this subject. So long as the metals don’t cause any issues or some other type of unintended consequence.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing!

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the Gulf Coast and have fished our rigs for the last 20 years. They are some close but the deepwater rigs are amazing. I have spent the night drifting around rigs 100 miles offshore and had lifetime experiences. I always tell God how wonderful this earth is before I leave and thank him for places like this. They are removing some rigs but I believe there needs to be more research on how to leave them in place safely. They are truly amazing habitats for a lot of creatures we normally don't get to see.

U

User1

View Badges
I live on the Gulf Coast and have fished our rigs for the last 20 years. They are some close but the deepwater rigs are amazing. I have spent the night drifting around rigs 100 miles offshore and had lifetime experiences. I always tell God how wonderful this earth is before I leave and thank him for places like this. They are removing some rigs but I believe there needs to be more research on how to leave them in place safely. They are truly amazing habitats for a lot of creatures we normally don't get to see.

Rigs are a popular dive in Southern California also. Lots of sea life at the base.

To the OP - also forgot to say good article / piece. I've always like it when Mother Nature has a way of showing humans that technology and Earth can coexist. Off shore drilling, surface pipelines, reservoirs, damns, wild fires, and even nuclear incidents. The Earth finds a way to heal, recover, and prosper. In some cases better.

Paulandreti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never have had the chance of diving one of these, but I've done it on artificial reefs, some old ships, old school buses and even some old junkyard stuff. As mentioned before it is amazing how life spreads among this stuff, if it is already there I'd consider that removing it could cause more harm than benefit.

Regards,

Paulandreti

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent article, a very well made explanation of the decommissioning of a facility. I spent 45 years of my life offshore in the GoM (Gulf of Mexico) for a major oil company, yes we followed the laws, rules, reporting and regulations necessary to drill and produce. The last 17 years I was either the FC (field coordinator) or OIM (offshore installation manager). It was my responsibility to make sure that work progressed 24/7-365 and everyone on the drilling and production crews follow those rules and goes home safely. Usually the end-life of the facility is pre- planned many years before the facility is shutdown for good and the money is set aside for that purpose.Once again, an excellent article for persons that don't really know a lot about the process. It would take weeks to explain all that is involved.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh by the way, I have never dived anywhere, but the ROVs (remote opetated vehicles) sure provided some interesting looks at the life at the depths we were in. 3 different deep water facilities ranging in water depths from 4500 to 7000+ feet. The last thing we wanted to do is have to get in the water, if we did somthing bad happened. Never had to, always flew or rode the boat.

manueldm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louisiana has been using them as artificial reefs for a long time.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing/artificial-reef-program

I started spearfishing under these rigs in the mid-80's. By far one of the most fascinating things I've done in life. Really hard to describe the diversity of life under and around these platforms. I have seen everything from whale sharks to bristle worms and anything in between. Turning them into artificial reefs is a great example of beneficial re-use.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Because I liked what you said and how it gave the glory to Creation, I will piggy back from here.

As a child, I grew up fishing offshore Louisiana into the blue water of the Gulf Stream. Because I often got seasick, I would tarzan swig onto the production platform and fish from the structure. On calm days without waves, visibility > 200’ down. I envisioned that world under the sea. Thirty years later, I was a deep water Senior Subsea engineer on dynamically positioned drill ships which hovered over the wellhead in 10K feet of water using robots & camera to hit an 18” from 2 miles away while on an angry ocean.

As a child, I was on a scuba diving fishing trip, 70 miles due south of Marsh Island in 50’ of water. Divers wore blue jeans because of abrasive nature of barnacles. Balloons were attached to end of divers spear. When large sea bass / grouper at over 100 lbs were speared, the diver released fish to swim away and die, then to float to surface with ballon. On the second dive of the day, the head diver came up bloody from chest to toe. His hand got tangled in retriev rope and a 200 lb Jewfish dragged him across platform bracing. Twenty minutes later, we saw large fish 1/4mile away.

Excellent article, a very well made explanation of the decommissioning of a facility. I spent 45 years of my life offshore in the GoM (Gulf of Mexico) for a major oil company, yes we followed the laws, rules, reporting and regulations necessary to drill and produce. The last 17 years I was either the FC (field coordinator) or OIM (offshore installation manager). It was my responsibility to make sure that work progressed 24/7-365 and everyone on the drilling and production crews follow those rules and goes home safely. Usually the end-life of the facility is pre- planned many years before the facility is shutdown for good and the money is set aside for that purpose.Once again, an excellent article for persons that don't really know a lot about the process. It would take weeks to explain all that is involved.

You could have been my boss. I spent 38 years offshore in the deep blue as a deep water Subsea Engineer. Yes, I sometimes flew the ROV. Normally, I directed their operations as the department head responsible for underwater BOP.

Trivia: How do you perfectly compress a 16 Oz starafoan cup to thimble size. The ROV carries it to 10K feet where hydrostatic pressure is 4400psi.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the facilities I worked on for 7 years, a compliant tower structure called Petronius was the tallest free-standing structure in the world for couple of years. One incident that occurred was a female diver bitten in the abdomen by a shark. The production crew has a paramedic on board at all times. The crew picked the victim up with the crane, packaged her for transport by helicopter to West Jefferson Hospital across the river from New Orleans. From what I was told she recovered nicely. This is not an isolated incident. Many divers and fishermen have been saved by oil companies responding to emergency calls using our standby workboats, our helicopters, USCG choppers and jets. Response is swift and very well coordinated betwwen all parties involved. Oil companies aren't all bad and the majors get looked at very hard by the regulatory agencies (BSEE, USCG). I sometimes feel like people don't understand the depths of training and preparation that offshore workers go through to make sure everyone goes home intact. I'll get off my soapbox. BTW, I hate water and don't like getting wet, but I love my little bit of reef. I will be starting a thread on my new tank build in the near future. Moving up from 45 AIO to a NUVO 100 INT, ASP stand and Trigger Triton 34, NYOS skimmer, APEX and on and on, ain't retirement wonderful, except paying income tax on money I already payed taxes on.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you worked on Genesis, Petronius or for Oceaneering we may have met.

As a child, I grew up fishing offshore Louisiana into the blue water of the Gulf Stream. Because I often got seasick, I would tarzan swig onto the production platform and fish from the structure. On calm days without waves, visibility > 200’ down. I envisioned that world under the sea. Thirty years later, I was a deep water Senior Subsea engineer on dynamically positioned drill ships which hovered over the wellhead in 10K feet of water using robots & camera to hit an 18” from 2 miles away while on an angry ocean.

As a child, I was on a scuba diving fishing trip, 70 miles due south of Marsh Island in 50’ of water. Divers wore blue jeans because of abrasive nature of barnacles. Balloons were attached to end of divers spear. When large sea bass / grouper at over 100 lbs were speared, the diver released fish to swim away and die, then to float to surface with ballon. On the second dive of the day, the head diver came up bloody from chest to toe. His hand got tangled in retriev rope and a 200 lb Jewfish dragged him across platform bracing. Twenty minutes later, we saw large fish 1/4mile away.

You could have been my boss. I spent 38 years offshore in the deep blue as a deep water Subsea Engineer. Yes, I sometimes flew the ROV. Normally, I directed their operations as the department head responsible for underwater BOP.

Trivia: How do you perfectly compress a 16 Oz starafoan cup to thimble size. The ROV carries it to 10K feet where hydrostatic pressure is 4400psi.[/QUOTE]

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you worked on Genesis, Petronius or for Oceaneering we may have met.
If you were on a drillship I probably landed on it one time or another. We had or drilling rig on board the facilities. I used to love watching the styrofoam cups fiss as the air was squeezed out as the ROV descended. We'd write dates and other things on them with a fine permanent marker and give them to friends and family. They would act like you gave them something off the Titanic.

Trivia: How do you perfectly compress a 16 Oz starafoan cup to thimble size. The ROV carries it to 10K feet where hydrostatic pressure is 4400psi.
[/QUOTE]

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the facilities I worked on for 7 years, a compliant tower structure called Petronius was the tallest free-standing structure in the world for couple of years. One incident that occurred was a female diver bitten in the abdomen by a shark. The production crew has a paramedic on board at all times. The crew picked the victim up with the crane, packaged her for transport by helicopter to West Jefferson Hospital across the river from New Orleans. From what I was told she recovered nicely. This is not an isolated incident. Many divers and fishermen have been saved by oil companies responding to emergency calls using our standby workboats, our helicopters, USCG choppers and jets. Response is swift and very well coordinated betwwen all parties involved. Oil companies aren't all bad and the majors get looked at very hard by the regulatory agencies (BSEE, USCG). I sometimes feel like people don't understand the depths of training and preparation that offshore workers go through to make sure everyone goes home intact. I'll get off my soapbox. BTW, I hate water and don't like getting wet, but I love my little bit of reef. I will be starting a thread on my new tank build in the near future. Moving up from 45 AIO to a NUVO 100 INT, ASP stand and Trigger Triton 34, NYOS skimmer, APEX and on and on, ain't retirement wonderful, except paying income tax on money I already payed taxes on.

Distinguished gentleman,
I worked for Odeco, Diamond M, Reading & Bates, Global Marine, Transocean and Nobel. All were professional. I have been in the eye of two hurricanes and struck by lightening three times. It was an adventure.
Patrick Castille
Cajun Aggie

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the problem with this are storms and stability over time. Good that someone is studying this though.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distinguished gentleman,
I worked for Odeco, Diamond M, Reading & Bates, Global Marine, Transocean and Nobel. All were professional. I have been in the eye of two hurricanes and struck by lightening three times. It was an adventure.
Patrick Castille
Cajun Aggie
Still living in Abbeville, family moved to Buras when I was 12. Graduated from high school in '76, went to work. It was definitely an adventure. I can remember almost every day of it, some days I wish I could forget, it made me a better man for the experience. Maybe reef keeping is my way of staying in contact with the sea on mostly my terms. Spent 17K on a 30Kw wholehouse generator. Told the wife it was so she would be comfortable during power outages, but it's for the new tank build we all know that. Allen Manning on this end.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EcoSystem offered by permanent structures in the deep blue is hard to describe as one looks through a matrix of Tonga sticks that are 50’ in diameter. As one leaves the surface and proceeds down, the transition it is most noticible in the first 100’. Light dances with a glimmering effect that always enchants me with a hidden beauty that is elusive. St Elmo’s Fire is a fluorescence from bacteria & zooplankton that has enchanted sailors for eons. Once while flying the ROV at night, we came through St Elmo’s Fire combined with fluorescent jelly fish. Did someone put LSD in the drinking water. The visuals rivaled avatar the movie.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still living in Abbeville, family moved to Buras when I was 12. Graduated from high school in '76, went to work. It was definitely an adventure. I can remember almost every day of it, some days I wish I could forget, it made me a better man for the experience. Maybe reef keeping is my way of staying in contact with the sea on mostly my terms. Spent 17K on a 30Kw wholehouse generator. Told the wife it was so she would be comfortable during power outages, but it's for the new tank build we all know that. Allen Manning on this end.

Allen,
I graduated Cathedral High in Lafayette in 1966. My father was President of Premiere Bank. As a kid, I didn’t realize how privileged I was to access such a Sportsman’s Paradise. During the summers of my youth, we drove thru Abbeville to Intracoastal City out thru Vermillion Bay skirting Marsh Island thru Southwest Pass across Diamond Reef out to the deep blue on the continental shelf drop off.

The Discovery Seven Seas was my introduction to subsea systems on steroids. In 1976, the Queen of the Fleet set the deep water drilling record at 7760’. My introduction included multiplexing control systems with acoustic backup, ROV intervention and several other redundancy systems. With close quarter living conditions working 28 on and 28 off, morale is a major consideration in rig life. We had a comrade spirit. Our lives depended on each of us maintaining station responsibilities. We were a “Band of Brothers”. In the Spirit of crew morale building, I maintained a reef tank in the galley. An Oceeneering friend maintained it when I wasn’t there. On an impulse, Tom put a 1’ isopod into tank and it crashed. Two months later while attending my first MACNA conference, I was eating breakfast on the second morning of the conference when Julian Sprung sat at table next to me. I had finished my meal and noted that no one had sat with him for 10 minutes, so I introduced myself. A true officer & a gentleman. We talked for two hours. I soaked it up as a sponge.

As a footnote, the deep water isopod had copper as a major constituents of its chemistry.

Last edited:

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I liked what you said and how it gave the glory to Creation, I will piggy back from here.

Awesome! I can't imagine how fun that job was. The offshore rigs are the last frontier IMHO. I always love to visit. Now at 63, now sure I want to chance the long distance boat ride considering how many times I have been caught in rough seas.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back