Oh no! My tank has a chip! Have you experienced a chip or crack in your aquarium?

Have you experienced a chip or crack in your aquarium?

• Yes, I have experienced a chip on my tank.

Votes: 91 34.9%
  • Yes, I have experienced a crack in my tank.

Votes: 28 10.7%
  • No, I have not experienced a chip or crack in my tank.

Votes: 139 53.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh no! My tank has a chip! Have you experienced a chip or crack in your aquarium?

While the saying “a chip of the old block” may be a good thing, a chip off the old tank is rarely a good sign. For many reef keepers a crack or a split seam are things that nightmares are made of, but sometimes it is a chip. Other than the obvious frustration of knowing that the blemish is there and any aesthetic effect, the chip may or not be an issue to the functioning of the tank and the safety of the inhabitants and anything in the surrounding area. Some clam-shaped chips may not create a structural issue; however, all chips and cracks should be taken seriously. Have you experienced a chip or a crack in your aquarium? Tell us about your experience and how you handled it. Please share any tips that you may have to decide whether a small chip is a problem.

DrJim_TankChip.jpeg

Photo by @Dr. Jim

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com

TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have been blessed to not have had to deal with that, yet (as anything could happen down the road).

i do have some scratches on the inside of the glass due to sand and even "dwarf" cerith snails getting behind the magnet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I too have not have either but have had a leak and with leak repair experience was able to successfully repair it easily. I dont favor tanks with chip that extend halfway into the glass and while I see many take the risk, glass is the structural part of tank and Not worth risk.
There are chips that can be pressure repaired with the same process used to repair auto glass.
the question is are we hear to enjoy out tank creations or take risks and worry for months?

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being energetic when laughing aloud with the hammer in the hand is not a good idea :grinning-face-with-sweat:

luckily only a chip at the top in the corner, glued that back and no sign ;)

So kids: STAY AWAY FROM THE TANK WHEN YOU HAVE A HAMMER IN YOUR HAND

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amusing to me, I just listened to/watched a YT podcast from Reef Therapy by Reef Builders and they were discussing this very topic.

I have not experienced this, though, I feel it’s only a matter of time before any one of us does.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 135 gallon fowlr has a couple chips in it. But the glass is about ½" thick. It has been running for 4 ½ years. Now I won't be able to sleep at night. Thanks. :grinning-squinting-face: jk.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While the saying “a chip of the old block” may be a good thing, a chip off the old tank is rarely a good sign. For many reef keepers a crack or a split seam are things that nightmares are made of, but sometimes it is a chip. Other than the obvious frustration of knowing that the blemish is there and any aesthetic effect, the chip may or not be an issue to the functioning of the tank and the safety of the inhabitants and anything in the surrounding area. Some clam-shaped chips may not create a structural issue; however, all chips and cracks should be taken seriously. Have you experienced a chip or a crack in your aquarium? Tell us about your experience and how you handled it. Please share any tips that you may have to decide whether a small chip is a problem.

DrJim_TankChip.jpeg

Photo by @Dr. Jim

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com

TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”
I have had mine for a year probably. When I picked up aquarium off stand the salt creep on a lower corner took a chip out when I slid it. Thankfully it doesn't leak.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea max nano peninsula I got from my LFS had a chip in the back left corner, took it out of the box brand new and thought huh. That doesn't look right. Red Sea was quick to send me a new tank but I still have this chipped boy on hand incase a friend or whoever wants to take a chance with it. Google says some epoxy resin would fix it right up but idk, 26 gallons is a lot of water to potentially have on the floor lol

1689867098317.png
1689867118394.png

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 4x2 rimless 105 gallon- i believe made by oceanic that is the heaviest tank i own. but it has a chip on top of the sidepanels- not the side itself but the top. i haven't used it since but i was debating using a grinder to smooth it out. its a great tank

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some used gear from a local guy when I first started. A 20 gallon long and rodi gear. I was cleaning the 20 gallon long in the shower and my hands were wet when trying to empty it. Dropped the whole thing and it shattered completely. I was devastated, not the best way to start in the hobby.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive ran tanks with chips and they don’t bother me… cracks no way as they will spread unless a hole is drilled… 90% of the time a tank is chipped in a outside corner that doesn’t go past the silicone joint so from a structural stand point it doesn’t bother me… the stress is on the silicone joint and not the glass at that point as there is zero deflection in the glass in the last 1” or so near the edges.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone of my large tanks with 3/8" glass or larger have chips on the outside edges that happened while moving them. They have been running for years and they do not concern as was mentioned above there is almost no stress on the glass at that point. People stress out over these far too much on this forum. Cracks are another matter. I would not run with a crack in the glass.

DaprDon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chipped the Top corner of my JBJ 20g rmls, with the glass lid. Very small, more noticeable to me than anyone else.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never until I recently got a used 32g. Very heavy awkward little tank and got a little rear bottom corner chip when I went to lift it off tile floor. No structural or joint damage and just smoothed it over with silicone.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a cracked fresh water tank once. Dumped some 200L on the living room floor.
My lessons learned were... never buy a second hand tank. Never use a tank that has been moved.
I'm sure there are tons of people with used tanks. I just don't want to take any chances anymore!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back