Oh No...used Rubbing alcohol instead of H202

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the title says it all, I used rubbing alcohol on some stubborn red algae that was on rocks instead of H202. My mistake, the rock was removed from tank, algae dosed then I put it back in tank. Has anyone done this and do you see a problem coming? It turned the algae orange, hopefully it will kill it. The coral looks ok, but I’m going to ride Pantha Lith and do a we tomorrow.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the title says it all, I used rubbing alcohol on some stubborn red algae that was on rocks instead of H202. My mistake, the rock was removed from tank, algae dosed then I put it back in tank. Has anyone done this and do you see a problem coming? It turned the algae orange, hopefully it will kill it. The coral looks ok, but I’m going to ride Pantha Lith and do a we tomorrow.

It will be like a "carbon" dose. Should be okay.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it wont hurt anything, and thanks for testing a new direct assault strategy w watch for updates. try n post us current algae pics so we can watch its dieoff and compare to the known mechanisms for h202, which incidentally always start with a hot pink color change when killing rhodophyta groups

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CCCCD549-FAEB-4CE5-8762-100189EB0F3D.jpeg
4C1A20E0-0116-4FEA-A496-ED9CE57169CD.jpeg
Thank you for the replies. Update photos, it turned bright orange initially. A scapel didn’t put a dent in it. It was a red short algae with roots that spread like fingers. Not sure which algae it is. A day later...

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F50ABE96-1642-4859-9F55-A68B5215EE3B.jpeg
Found a picture of the algae. Any ideas?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's fifty opinions on how to rid that stuff, no two agree

the dieoff phase for rhodophyta utilizing peroxide in that same manner above is nine days, after the pink change, its slo

not sure what w happen w the alcohol but it'll take +week to register losses if so, from this application. Since you def have a strong invader, rooted, anchored etc, Id use a comparative modeling approach that we use in the peroxide thread in the invasion forum

take out one accessible rock and use a steak knife tip to debride, scrape w man power, down under that invader and dig it out gone. harsh, like a parrotfish beak, which is what would rasp that off in nature. perhaps secondarily an urchin...but they're next level grazers way past snails who are weak raspers

so after you truly dig/debride and rid a section of anchored invader, then treat that cleaned area with peroxide and lets chart growback among these treatments, to see what upscales to the tank the best. whether the tank is too large to remove rocks or too stacked doesn't matter, we're simply modeling what it takes to attain one kill on one area, so we never have to guess again at a working baseline.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's fifty opinions on how to rid that stuff, no two agree

the dieoff phase for rhodophyta utilizing peroxide in that same manner above is nine days, after the pink change, its slo

not sure what w happen w the alcohol but it'll take +week to register losses if so, from this application. Since you def have a strong invader, rooted, anchored etc, Id use a comparative modeling approach that we use in the peroxide thread in the invasion forum

take out one accessible rock and use a steak knife tip to debride, scrape w man power, down under that invader and dig it out gone. harsh, like a parrotfish beak, which is what would rasp that off in nature. perhaps secondarily an urchin...but they're next level grazers way past snails who are weak raspers

so after you truly dig/debride and rid a section of anchored invader, then treat that cleaned area with peroxide and lets chart growback among these treatments, to see what upscales to the tank the best. whether the tank is too large to remove rocks or too stacked doesn't matter, we're simply modeling what it takes to attain one kill on one area, so we never have to guess again at a working baseline.
Ok, I could chop the edge of one rock, it’s reel reef rock so it can break . The other I’d have to remove the coral and go after it, it’ll take a while on that one. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A86E08C8-32C1-4316-9FB4-183E5CF0151B.jpeg
1E4720D6-24B8-4AD5-B1ED-30CA73C70513.jpeg
Update...after a couple hrs. of chiseling the rocks and applying peroxide to them I now have clean, bare reel reef rock. I removed the coral frags and this time attached them to rubble rock, easier to remove if I have to again. The roots of that particular algae had finger roots very deep into the rock. I purchased this rock live as to not set off a cycle in the new tank. Good thing for bone cutters, I may need a new pair. Pics are the chiseled rock.

Back